• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What’s with Knight and the McNeese State references?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

IDK cuz you seem to have no problems connecting, many others on here have people that feed them information and even Brett still gets people to feed him information and he has not even stepped foot in the building in at least a score. I am not sure if it is because he is unlikable, lazy or has a very punchable face but people do not seem to connect with him or give him any insider information which seems like a necessary component of being a beat writer (especially when you are close to the only one). That he seems more focused on jabs than delivering something that shows any effort does not endear himself to most of our fanbase, not that I think he cares much about that.  

Don't think Joey is a donor.  Probably is the only reason I get a bit thrown my way on occasion or that I get invited to some of the online meetings.  My main guy is now at Syracuse so I don't hear as much as I did.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

In the month of August he's posted 8 articles pertaining to USF, along with several more about other high school sports, with not a jab in there that I could find. A couple of Twitter pokes and some go bat**** crazy with extrapolating it out ...... yeah, looking at you, puc. I don't mind criticism where it's deserved, and the MSU jabs deserved note, but crikey, the making mountains out out of molehills (even though a board tradition) makes us sound like whiny little ******* at times.

Maybe if he faked like he liked it more and endeared himself to the fanbase with a little extra effort people would like him more and be more welcoming to an occasional jab. His efforts seem almost intentionally alienating and no one wants to have good lighthearted fun with someone they don't like, Greg did not have these problems...

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Don't think Joey is a donor.  Probably is the only reason I get a bit thrown my way on occasion or that I get invited to some of the online meetings.  My main guy is now at Syracuse so I don't hear as much as I did.  

Yes your reason for interaction is different but he still gets plenty of interaction (just like some other people that have your access but do not have anyone coming over for dinner) and that it has not led to one connection in years should speak volumes about the guy. His source did not leave because it has never existed and that we turn over staff should create more opportunities for that poor little blind squirrel to finally find his first nut and yet we wait for him to get a press release or an information request. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,533
  • Days Won:  422

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Maybe if he faked like he liked it more and endeared himself to the fanbase with a little extra effort people would like him more and be more welcoming to an occasional jab. His efforts seem almost intentionally alienating and no one wants to have good lighthearted fun with someone they don't like, Greg did not have these problems...

Couple of things, IMO. Greg was pretty much solely focused on USF most of his time as beat writer so any jabs he took were more like coming from family. JK has had other duties that have him covering things that some consider traitorous and panties have been wadded over them. Also, JK's attendance obsession phase has soured some forever, and I can understand that. I'm not saying he's perfect just that, all things considered, I think we get pretty good coverage for where we are right now. I don't think you can ask much more than averaging an article a day in these days and times, even if they aren't hard hitting journalism ..... which I'm fine with.

Just now, Triple B said:

Couple of things, IMO. Greg was pretty much solely focused on USF most of his time as beat writer so any jabs he took were more like coming from family. JK has had other duties that have him covering things that some consider traitorous and panties have been wadded over them. Also, JK's attendance obsession phase has soured some forever, and I can understand that. I'm not saying he's perfect just that, all things considered, I think we get pretty good coverage for where we are right now. I don't think you can ask much more than averaging an article a day in these days and times, even if they aren't hard hitting journalism ..... which I'm fine with.

My problem mostly derives from the attendance thing and for me while it seems trivial speaks to my overall issue with him. He covered it because to him it was news since it was easily supplied to him via a TSA release. It provided no context or effort but it was done because it was easy to regurgitate, it was not news. Then along comes USA Today and they do an actual story on it by doing more than the bare minimum and find at the very least the same could have been done by him on at least the other teams that he covered which for FSU was doing it at levels that were clear to the blind eye and yet it never crossed his mind to do it, why? He is not a journalist and he simply repeats what he is given. That he is so perfectly imperfect and yet only seems to take pride in his digs is why I cannot stand him, but maybe he is a blessing because muckrakers can apparently destroy a program with their journalism, maybe JK is a useful idiot simply by doing no harm. 

• Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,095
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

While I'm not a huge fan of JK's I have to defend the claim that he should have a "network of sources".  Who in USF Athletics, other than Barry Clements has been here more that 5 years?  Lelo was here, then gone and now back again.  A few individual coaches (Erickson and Fernandez come to mind)  have been but people at the top have been in and out like a revolving door.  I guess you only need one guy.  Just my 1.5 cents (deflation).   

You don’t have to be a high-level staffer to be a source. During my time covering, I got tips from parents of players, members of the SID staff, and others. It’s not like I’m making this up. I was part of that world for a number of years. I know how it works. You had to create relationships that involved trust - trust that you would do a professional job. I wasn’t uncovering scandals, but I had inside information that I could then follow up on.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Joey is cut from the same cloth as Martin Fennelly, Tom Jones, and Turd McMurphy, where at the Tribune they considered USF a joke their entire career.  He's like the little brother that grew up in the abusive household and doesn't understand why he does the things he does, it's just something inside him.

Good Witch Smile GIF by Hallmark Channel

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

You don’t have to be a high-level staffer to be a source. During my time covering, I got tips from parents of players, members of the SID staff, and others. It’s not like I’m making this up. I was part of that world for a number of years. I know how it works. You had to create relationships that involved trust - trust that you would do a professional job. I wasn’t uncovering scandals, but I had inside information that I could then follow up on.

I will be renewing my subscription to BullsEYE magazine post haste

• Upvote 1

Example: Back in the early days of the program, one of the things that was of interest was who USF’s first I-A opponent would eventually be. It was an interesting tidbit for fans - nothing particularly saucy. I had a source who ultimately fed me a tip that we were talking with San Diego State. I was able to follow up and break that news on the old usfbulls.com site I ran with USFreak as the online home for the magazine. I was focused a good bit on recruiting and developed a relationship with Matt Grothe’s dad that led to us breaking his commitment to USF - which turned out to be a pretty big day in the program’s history. This was obviously before the Twitterverse. I had a relationship that led to us breaking the commitment of Altron Jackson. Many other examples. Show me something similar from our beat writer.

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I will be renewing my subscription to BullsEYE magazine post haste

I sure wish we had the kind of fan base that made that possible. I’d do it in a second.  🙂

• Upvote 1