• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I’d be interested to hear your theories . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, CousinRicky said:

And this is why I removed all mirrors from my house.  

Humm....that’s almost brilliant! 😂

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

On 1/20/2020 at 9:44 AM, Dave_Glaser said:

. . . about how we’ve gotten to the current state of our “rivalry” with Oviedo Community College. For the better part of 40 years, we dominated this matchup in nearly every sport, with a few exceptions, yet somehow it is now lopsided in their favor. Is it as simple as a series of bad hires by us and good ones by them? Is it a matter of a different focus in resources - ours on the academic side and theirs in athletics?

You got it.  

They seemed more committed to athletics climbing to relevance and the financial support and good sense that it would take to make it happen.  But, yeah, we have made some bad hires in both major mens sports.  They also don't have any pro teams to consider unless you count the Magic.  I think our good friend @Bausfkid has said it often - Tampa sports fans are awful.  That's probably true.  Perhaps years of listening to the TB media like McMurphy, Jones, Fennelly and Deumig has fans convinced nothing, except maybe the Bucs, is worth their beer money.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

At the time of the Big East, UCF unlike us wasn't at a point where they were looking like a threat to the status quo and did not have to endure ESPN and a handful of schools conspiring to destroy their high profile conference and thus their athletics.

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I think our good friend @Bausfkid has said it often - Tampa sports fans are awful.  That's probably true.  Perhaps years of listening to the TB media like McMurphy, Jones, Fennelly and Deumig has fans convinced nothing, except maybe the Bucs, is worth their beer money.

McMurphy and the bunch were all around in the Big East days but I guess the TB sports fans ignored them then and came out in droves anyway? And how dare you ignore the more than beer money worthy Lightning .....

TB sports fans support their local non P5 team as well, if not better than, most other non P5 programs in areas with similar major sports options ....

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

We have an example right here, from the MBB thread....

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Guess ill turn my attention to the Lightning and Vipers.

We just got no staying power in "The Bay" except those Bucs*.

*with the exception of the season in which the season ticket waiting list, according to the Glazers, dropped from 1,976,432 waiting to about 20,000.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

7 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

What the comp there? Cincinnati, Temple, Memphis, UCF, SMU, Houston, SDSU...I am noticing a trend lol. The American and a few of the MWC schools remind me of he old Metro Conference and few of them were in it.

UCF isn't a comp but the others do have a kind of Metro feel to it ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, Brad said:

You got it.  

They seemed more committed to athletics climbing to relevance and the financial support and good sense that it would take to make it happen.  But, yeah, we have made some bad hires in both major mens sports.  They also don't have any pro teams to consider unless you count the Magic.  I think our good friend @Bausfkid has said it often - Tampa sports fans are awful.  That's probably true.  Perhaps years of listening to the TB media like McMurphy, Jones, Fennelly and Deumig has fans convinced nothing, except maybe the Bucs, is worth their beer money.

We've lived here for 17 years and I don't know many people that are from the area.  I moved down and was a Flyers, Sixers, NY Giants and SF Giants fan.  I've adopted the Rays, Lightning and Bucs but I wouldn't buy season tickets for them. Seem to know a lot of people from the Midwest and many are Chicago pro sports teams.  Coming from NJ there really wasn't much in the way of college football.  People adopted Penn State or ND if you were Catholic.  But RU and Temple were nothing to get excited about.  So adopting USF was pretty easy for us. That and the fact our daughter went there.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

30 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

We've lived here for 17 years and I don't know many people that are from the area.  I moved down and was a Flyers, Sixers, NY Giants and SF Giants fan.  I've adopted the Rays, Lightning and Bucs but I wouldn't buy season tickets for them. Seem to know a lot of people from the Midwest and many are Chicago pro sports teams.  Coming from NJ there really wasn't much in the way of college football.  People adopted Penn State or ND if you were Catholic.  But RU and Temple were nothing to get excited about.  So adopting USF was pretty easy for us. That and the fact our daughter went there.  

I'm in a similar boat. Moved here and had previous pro-allegiances (college, too, before I did my grad school at USF and my wife started working there). The Rays have been pretty easy to adopt as my alternative baseball team since they're on TV and I go to a handful of games. I'm all in on the Lightning since I was never much of a hockey fan before coming to Tampa. But...the Bucs have done nothing for me. I can't even force myself to watch half a game. Probably has a lot to do with my timing. They haven't played many games worth watching since I arrived in 2004. And as much as people want to ***** about USF athletics, they've been pretty good to my family. Baseball is cheap and right around the corner. We can go hit up a game, the players are always good to my kids and if we leave early, I don't feel like I wasted anything. MBB was awesome last season with the package they had. My kids were pretty excited about games when we went. We do a few soccer games here and there. Tampa has a lot to offer a sports fan if people make even marginal effort. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
13 hours ago, JTrue said:

I'm in a similar boat. Moved here and had previous pro-allegiances (college, too, before I did my grad school at USF and my wife started working there). The Rays have been pretty easy to adopt as my alternative baseball team since they're on TV and I go to a handful of games. I'm all in on the Lightning since I was never much of a hockey fan before coming to Tampa. But...the Bucs have done nothing for me. I can't even force myself to watch half a game. Probably has a lot to do with my timing. They haven't played many games worth watching since I arrived in 2004. And as much as people want to ***** about USF athletics, they've been pretty good to my family. Baseball is cheap and right around the corner. We can go hit up a game, the players are always good to my kids and if we leave early, I don't feel like I wasted anything. MBB was awesome last season with the package they had. My kids were pretty excited about games when we went. We do a few soccer games here and there. Tampa has a lot to offer a sports fan if people make even marginal effort. 

Its amazing the variety of Sports options that Tampa has, for its size.  I know Tampa is growing and if you take in the entire  metro area outside of Tampa, we are pretty large population wise.  But I'm Tampa through and through of love all our teams.

Still hard to be understand why Baseball isn't working here.  I guess "Location, Location, Location" really does mean a lot.  I hope they can figure it out before its too late.  There is nothing else going on sports wise in the Summer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

48 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Its amazing the variety of Sports options that Tampa has, for its size.  I know Tampa is growing and if you take in the entire  metro area outside of Tampa, we are pretty large population wise.  But I'm Tampa through and through of love all our teams.

Still hard to be understand why Baseball isn't working here.  I guess "Location, Location, Location" really does mean a lot.  I hope they can figure it out before its too late.  There is nothing else going on sports wise in the Summer.

I think they are gone. When they announced a nearly Billion dollar stadium that was never going to be a real option they told me they were gone.