• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I’d be interested to hear your theories . . .

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

I think they are gone. When they announced a nearly Billion dollar stadium that was never going to be a real option they told me they were gone.

It appears that away, but I still think Hillsborough County /Tampa makes a real last ditch effort to make this happen.  Not saying it will, but I don't they are as good as gone, like most people do.  We have alot of smart Tampa people in charge, and they don't want to see a Major Business leave the community.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Its amazing the variety of Sports options that Tampa has, for its size.  I know Tampa is growing and if you take in the entire  metro area outside of Tampa, we are pretty large population wise.  But I'm Tampa through and through of love all our teams.

Still hard to be understand why Baseball isn't working here.  I guess "Location, Location, Location" really does mean a lot.  I hope they can figure it out before its too late.  There is nothing else going on sports wise in the Summer.

I think baseball is failing here has a lot to do with the location. The Rays have one of the highest TV ratings in the MLB in the Tampa Bay area. However, I think that's due to the division the Rays play in. The Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, and Blue Jays all have such a deep history and they also have another thing in common all being in the Northeast. Take all the snow birds that retire down in the Tampa Bay area and consider the fact that they are only watching to support their original team and/or can't get to the games due to transportation and I'm thinking that's why the TV ratings are so high. I'm born and raised in Tampa and I'm one of the ones that believes if the stadium were across the bridge in actual Tampa that baseball would work here.

Guest Jonesy Bull
19 minutes ago, usfsig said:

I think baseball is failing here has a lot to do with the location. The Rays have one of the highest TV ratings in the MLB in the Tampa Bay area. However, I think that's due to the division the Rays play in. The Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, and Blue Jays all have such a deep history and they also have another thing in common all being in the Northeast. Take all the snow birds that retire down in the Tampa Bay area and consider the fact that they are only watching to support their original team and/or can't get to the games due to transportation and I'm thinking that's why the TV ratings are so high. I'm born and raised in Tampa and I'm one of the ones that believes if the stadium were across the bridge in actual Tampa that baseball would work here.

This is the reason I think Tampa/Hillsborough County is going to do everything they can do to keep the team here, Corporations and people continue to move in here.  They actually are popular, it just doesn't show up at the Park.  That said, they in no way Tampa is going to brake the bank to pay the majority of a 1 Billion dollar stadium.  The owners are going to have to meet them half way - or they will be gone.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

14 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I hope you are right. While its not the primary reason why would should build light rail, but finally getting with the times and getting some form of it in the Tampa Bay area would help with attendance at a new stadium.

I regularly go out to San Diego for work and use their light rail system alot to go to Padres games.

At one time in my life I had seen every big league team play at home.  The Padres, think it was Jack Murphy Stadium, was the last one on my list.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

This is the reason I think Tampa/Hillsborough County is going to do everything they can do to keep the team here, Corporations and people continue to move in here.  They actually are popular, it just doesn't show up at the Park.  That said, they in no way Tampa is going to brake the bank to pay the majority of a 1 Billion dollar stadium.  The owners are going to have to meet them half way - or they will be gone.

The problem for MLB is, the country is getting short on cities big enough to handle a team and very few people are dumb enough these days to bankroll a stadium. After the Marlins debacle, the general populous is infinitely more aware of how bad these deals are for the people and how good they are for the owners. Add to that a billion dollars is expansion fees. Maybe Portland, but it would have to be a retractable dome and cost a fortune the city doesn't have. Charlotte is always on the short list. Las Vegas? Go back to Montreal despite them having worse fans than Tampa and Miami? Mexico?

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, JTrue said:

The problem for MLB is, the country is getting short on cities big enough to handle a team and very few people are dumb enough these days to bankroll a stadium. After the Marlins debacle, the general populous is infinitely more aware of how bad these deals are for the people and how good they are for the owners. Add to that a billion dollars is expansion fees. Maybe Portland, but it would have to be a retractable dome and cost a fortune the city doesn't have. Charlotte is always on the short list. Las Vegas? Go back to Montreal despite them having worse fans than Tampa and Miami? Mexico?

Thats one thing Tampa has going for it.  The options for the Rays are limited really.  Doesnt mean they dont pack up and leave.  But what city is going to pay for a Billion dollar stadium.  And they actually have real fans here.  What city is better as far as media market, existing fans, etc.  Montreal, Potland , Charlotte - give me a break.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/27/2020 at 6:39 PM, Jonesy Bull said:

Thats one thing Tampa has going for it.  The options for the Rays are limited really.  Doesnt mean they dont pack up and leave.  But what city is going to pay for a Billion dollar stadium.  And they actually have real fans here.  What city is better as far as media market, existing fans, etc.  Montreal, Potland , Charlotte - give me a break.

The Tampa community also has a sour taste in its mouth after bankrolling most of Ray Jay for the Glazers. Speaking of transportation to and from stadiums, I found it quite awesome when I was in NY a few years back and went to a Mets game. The subway had a stop right at the stadium.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

50 minutes ago, usfsig said:

The Tampa community also has a sour taste in its mouth after bankrolling most of Ray Jay for the Glazers. Speaking of transportation to and from stadiums, I found it quite awesome when I was in NY a few years back and went to a Mets game. The subway had a stop right at the stadium.

Ya, Tampa residents are not/were not happy with that give-away and I'd hope they won't let it happen again.

I think the list of sucker cities who will bankroll stadiums anymore is getting smaller and smaller by the day. The literature on the economic stimulus of a pro sports team is very mixed.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Ya, Tampa residents are not/were not happy with that give-away and I'd hope they won't let it happen again.

I think the list of sucker cities who will bankroll stadiums anymore is getting smaller and smaller by the day. The literature on the economic stimulus of a pro sports team is very mixed.

Having a team or the return on paying for a stadium?

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

I agree with you.

If the Rays think they are going to get a sweet heart deal in smaller market.  Then Good Fn Luck and if it happens Good Bye.....I just dont see it.

Note to Owner of the Rays - Get off your "Poop dont stink New York, Im better than You" bull --- high horse.  Sit down with the leaders of Tampa.  Get a deal done, meet us half way.

We are not the hillbilly southern idiots here in Tampa that you think we are.  If you dont dont want to that.  Then Tampa says go F yourself and that New York fn smirk of yours!

Sorry for the rant.  Dont mean to piss off our New York fans.  Not talking about you.  But this guy is a complete a__.