• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Jeff Scott Turned Down FSU to Come to USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Well, I have to guess that I’m one of those people you’re now calling names because I was cautiously optimistic about Michael Kelly and not prepared to crown him the world’s best AD until I had seen some results. Blind faith is not something I’m hard wired for, so excuse me. I do like the hiring of Jeff Scott and the fact that MK was prepared and made a move with Courtney Draper. Both are very good signs and I hope they are moves that will begin to help USF athletics ascend. I guess I’ll now “Shut the F up” so you won’t have to call me out.

I think being cautiously optimisitic is different than calling him out for not doing his job.  All these decisions take place behind closed doors and are on MK's timeline, not ours.  I don't think the Shut the F up was directed at you.  

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

25 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

I think being cautiously optimisitic is different than calling him out for not doing his job.  All these decisions take place behind closed doors and are on MK's timeline, not ours.  I don't think the Shut the F up was directed at you.  

I completely agree, and I don't believe I was that guy. My take has always been - show me some results and I'll get behind you. Trust is earned.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Well, I have to guess that I’m one of those people you’re now calling names because I was cautiously optimistic about Michael Kelly and not prepared to crown him the world’s best AD until I had seen some results. Blind faith is not something I’m hard wired for, so excuse me. I do like the hiring of Jeff Scott and the fact that MK was prepared and made a move with Courtney Draper. Both are very good signs and I hope they are moves that will begin to help USF athletics ascend. I guess I’ll now “Shut the F up” so you won’t have to call me out.

You are correct. Hiring is one thing and results are another. I agree with most here that MK has shown his chops in getting out the deadwood after a year of evaluating. Three program coaching changes in three months is pretty **** good. But yes, let’s see what happens in the next three years before we crown someone. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

On 12/11/2019 at 9:09 AM, IBulleve said:

You have to realize how dysfunctional the FSU athletic department is at the moment. It’s hard to even put into words. There’s no way Jeff Scott would’ve went there. Not because he doesn’t respect the program as a whole, but he’s not going to jump into an Admin & PR dumpster fire with an AD that he has no experience with.

CWT was only focused on rushing to the finish line, winning a national title. CJS is not that way at all. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that’s his goal, but there are other factors at play. For him to leave Clemson, it had to be the perfect situation - 

- Somewhere his family felt comfortable 

- Good relationship with Admin/AD

- A place that he has recruiting connections 

- Dabo’s blessing 

USF was the perfect match. Will he leave eventually? Yeah, of course. But let’s celebrate the fact that a well thought of coach looked at our program and said, I’m willing to leave the place I love to go there. I feel good about that program. Enough praise can’t be shouted MK’s way for creating that amidst what was a failure on the field. 

Everyone, do yourselves a favor and stop worrying about 3 years down the road. Celebrate the job MK has done and that this PROGRAM as a whole is where it is. 

I agree with this post. Based on what JS said yesterday at the press conference, you can see the connection he has with the staff at Clemson. 

Assuming JS has success, I doubt he jumps at his first offer. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't actually want to coach in the ACC or against Clemson on a regular basis. 

I originally thought he may get Kelly to sign a 2-1 against Clemson but I tend to doubt that now. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, usf97 said:

I agree with this post. Based on what JS said yesterday at the press conference, you can see the connection he has with the staff at Clemson. 

Assuming JS has success, I doubt he jumps at his first offer. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't actually want to coach in the ACC or against Clemson on a regular basis. 

I originally thought he may get Kelly to sign a 2-1 against Clemson but I tend to doubt that now. 

I don't think he will be in a hurry to leave. He waited for the right opportunity the first time.

His Dad left FSU for South Carolina job when they moved to the SEC. Basically ended his career.

I think he will only leave if it is for a top 15 P5 program with a realistic shot at winning on a regular basis.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I don't think he will be in a hurry to leave. He waited for the right opportunity the first time.

His Dad left FSU for South Carolina job when they moved to the SEC. Basically ended his career.

I think he will only leave if it is for a top 15 P5 program with a realistic shot at winning on a regular basis.

Based on the depth of issues for this program, he may be here for a while. But I think he we get it done. Still, I am hoping for four seasons to get us to the promise land of a championship. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Based on the depth of issues for this program, he may be here for a while. But I think he we get it done. Still, I am hoping for four seasons to get us to the promise land of a championship. 

If Scott is here 4 years and wins the elusive conference title, I at least with thank him. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Sorry I was a little bit harsh, I got a bit carried away with all the hoopla from yesterday.  So I apologize for that comment.

I know you only want whats best for USF and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  We still don't totally know how all of this is going to turn out, so I may be the one wrong in the end....but for USF's sake hope not.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

21 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think he knows how good he could have it here for a long time. Again I don't think he leaves for anything other than a top 2 or 3 job in any P5 conference.

I don't think it takes him very long to turn things around here but I don't see him leaving very soon either.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

36 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

This.  If things are going well, he may stay until Dabo retires.  He doesn't seem the type to go just for money or the P5 status (hopefully we're P5 by that time anyway).