• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Jeff Scott Turned Down FSU to Come to USF?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

The rumor is all over the Twitterverse that CJS turned down FSU among other schools to come to "the right opportunity" at USF. Does anyone have knowledge of whether there is a shred of truth to this? Much as I was a CJL fan, I have to admit, watching this unfold gives me real hope for USF's future. I think MK hit this one out of the park. And yes, the way this is shaping up, I am cautiously optimistic CJS will be better than even a return by CJL. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,947
  • Days Won:  12

Whether its true or not the truth is CJS could have gone to a P5. Yet he came here.

I guess the thinking is "cut your teeth on a decent but medium-stakes school. If you straight to an elite school and fail publicly you're done, if you never move you fizzle out, so this is a good stomping grounds" but it's pure conjecture

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, hm101 said:

Whether its true or not the truth is CJS could have gone to a P5. Yet he came here.

I guess the thinking is "cut your teeth on a decent but medium-stakes school. If you straight to an elite school and fail publicly you're done, if you never move you fizzle out, so this is a good stomping grounds" but it's pure conjecture

If your end goal is a top-of-the-line college job, it may be easier to get there by winning big in the AAC, rather than toughing it out at a low-tier P5 school. Theoretically, USF is a safer bet for relative success than Missouri or Arkansas. By what I mean is that any (capable) coach has an easier path to the kind of success needed here to jump to an Oregon, or Florida/FSU, or even Alabama as CJL was rumored to be considered for.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

He was in the mix for at least one SEC job as well.

“Jeff Scott is the newest name added to our hot board. He’s one of four interviews the Ole Miss Spirit’s David Johnson reported on Tuesday he believes will be interviewed this week, along with Norvell, Napier and Healy.”

https://thespun.com/sec/mississippi/ole-miss-coaching-search-jeff-scott-chip-long

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Could be he would be happy being here for the long term?  Maybe he says where he can make this thing his own for the next 15+ years.  He knows by staying here he is set to make at least 12 mil over that time.  

In the world of coaching if he gets to 9+ wins in the next 2 years he probably gets a new contract that doubles what he is getting. All that and his life is probably less stressful than at an SEC school. 

Would be nice if he has a love for the Bay area, makes the program his own and is in it for the long haul. 

Let's hope. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Could be he would be happy being here for the long term?  Maybe he says where he can make this thing his own for the next 15+ years.  He knows by staying here he is set to make at least 12 mil over that time.  

In the world of coaching if he gets to 9+ wins in the next 2 years he probably gets a new contract that doubles what he is getting. All that and his life is probably less stressful than at an SEC school. 

Would be nice if he has a love for the Bay area, makes the program his own and is in it for the long haul. 

Let's hope. 

If he sticks it through this contract I think he’ll stay a while. I think he’s a smart dude and has all these folks chasing waterfalls at their own peril.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314

1 hour ago, usfgrad84 said:

Let's hope. 

Love the thought but it's like anyone else who is offered more money, better facilities, higher profile etc - be difficult to turn down.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,578
  • Days Won:  29

4 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Let's hope. 

And a as a family man, stability. There are still people out there.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238

4 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Let's hope. 

No chance. 

This is probably a 2-3 year thing. Either he does really well and moves on, or he does poorly and is fired. 

The life of a group of 5 school. 

Ftr I think he's a great hire and will do a great job here. 

• Upvote 4