• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Jeff Scott Turned Down FSU to Come to USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,328
  • Content Count:  21,278
  • Days Won:  10

My believe is he is a long term stay like Leavitt was.  I am basing this off his time at Clemson.  If he is successful, he will want to repeat that for at least 2 or 3 years.  Could be wrong because I don't know his underlying motivations.  I am hoping he wants to stay and get us our first conference championship.   Excited about his recruiting skills.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

11 minutes ago, Rizman said:

My believe is he is a long term stay like Leavitt was.  I am basing this off his time at Clemson.  If he is successful, he will want to repeat that for at least 2 or 3 years.  Could be wrong because I don't know his underlying motivations.  I am hoping he wants to stay and get us our first conference championship.   Excited about his recruiting skills.

I was thinking that myself. Hopefully he adopts this program like it is one of his own babies and keeps building it up. Get USF standing in a strong position so if the next wave of conference realignment happens, we all will be fine. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, smazza said:

very hard to believe

Not really.  FSU is a mess and is also a direct competitor to his alma mater, Clemson.  I would guess FSU's dominance of the ACC in the 90s and early 00s may color his perspective on the school.  He also knows how good Clemson is and likely believes they are not going to decline much over several years, so FSU's climbing over them in the Atlantic division to even get back into the ACC title game is a big challenge - and he'd have to overthrow his own alma mater.  

I would not be surprised if he does not go back to the ACC unless he gets the job at Clemson, but Dabo Swinney is not going anywhere anytime soon.  I could see Swinney possibly going back to his alma mater once Saban retires and that would open the door for Scott to return to his if he's successful.

Other programs like Ole Miss, Mizzou, etc all have their own barriers - they're called Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, and Georgia.  You can get those schools to the point of being quite good, but even then a SEC title game berth is difficult.  

USF is a good place that has had some success.  It's in a nice metro area that has a lot of football talent around it.  The AAC is not too far off the bulk of the ACC - and you could make an argument that it is better than the ACC this year, minus Clemson.  

And there is the possibility with success that USF gets an invite to a P5 conference.  The likely one remains the Big 12 when the next round of TV contracts hits for the big conferences (2024 for the Big 12, so an expansion would likely be announced by 2022 or 2023 to be ready for the next contract).  The AAC deal did not include a grant of rights, so schools are able to jump conference.

Taking a school like USF to a New Years Six and beating a P5 team there is a better way of drawing the attention of one of the big programs when they have an opening than going to an Ole Miss.  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

USF will never be Alabama or Ohio State in terms of prestige, but if the man can win and do it for a long time, he will become a legend at this school and be honored like one. Also, it's freaking Tampa, one of the best places in the nation to live and grow up.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  10

CJS had Interviews with Mizzou and Ole Miss. Thats about as far as both of them got. They went on to other guys. Ole Miss want Norvall but setteled for Lane. And Mizzous AD wanted Arky States coach,Armys and Air Forces but the BOT said no. He didnt talk to FSU From what I know. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

1 hour ago, IBulleve said:

You have to realize how dysfunctional the FSU athletic department is at the moment. It’s hard to even put into words. There’s no way Jeff Scott would’ve went there. Not because he doesn’t respect the program as a whole, but he’s not going to jump into an Admin & PR dumpster fire with an AD that he has no experience with.

CWT was only focused on rushing to the finish line, winning a national title. CJS is not that way at all. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that’s his goal, but there are other factors at play. For him to leave Clemson, it had to be the perfect situation - 

- Somewhere his family felt comfortable 

- Good relationship with Admin/AD

- A place that he has recruiting connections 

- Dabo’s blessing 

USF was the perfect match. Will he leave eventually? Yeah, of course. But let’s celebrate the fact that a well thought of coach looked at our program and said, I’m willing to leave the place I love to go there. I feel good about that program. Enough praise can’t be shouted MK’s way for creating that amidst what was a failure on the field. 

Everyone, do yourselves a favor and stop worrying about 3 years down the road. Celebrate the job MK has done and that this PROGRAM as a whole is where it is. 

One thing that helps is Kelly is widely respected.  I work in sports (college and pro).  When he was named as the new AD last year, there was a real buzz and quite a bit of surprise.  They weren't surprised that Kelly was hired by someone, but they expected him to go to a much bigger fish in the pond.  He has a top shelf reputation and track record.  

I'm sure Dabo Swinney's respect helped a lot with Jeff Scott's interest.  Swinney knows Kelly quite well and was a huge fan of us hiring him.  Jeff Scott likely also knew him from his ACC days and felt he was an AD he could trust and work with.

A respected AD will go a long way to luring top tier coaches who can lure top tier prospects.  That also helps the program grow.  His work with the Playoff also helps us in th enext round of P5 TV negotiations if any conferences want to add teams, especially if Coach Scott is successful.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

56 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

I was thinking that myself. Hopefully he adopts this program like it is one of his own babies and keeps building it up. Get USF standing in a strong position so if the next wave of conference realignment happens, we all will be fine. 

I don’t think he knows any other way. Plus, his respect for MK is too strong to not make this a priority. We don’t know for sure if he will make a successful HC, but we do know it won’t be for a lack of effort and commitment. I can live with that

Guest Jonesy Bull
6 hours ago, macphisto said:

One thing that helps is Kelly is widely respected.  I work in sports (college and pro).  When he was named as the new AD last year, there was a real buzz and quite a bit of surprise.  They weren't surprised that Kelly was hired by someone, but they expected him to go to a much bigger fish in the pond.  He has a top shelf reputation and track record.  

I'm sure Dabo Swinney's respect helped a lot with Jeff Scott's interest.  Swinney knows Kelly quite well and was a huge fan of us hiring him.  Jeff Scott likely also knew him from his ACC days and felt he was an AD he could trust and work with.

A respected AD will go a long way to luring top tier coaches who can lure top tier prospects.  That also helps the program grow.  His work with the Playoff also helps us in th enext round of P5 TV negotiations if any conferences want to add teams, especially if Coach Scott is successful.  

This is what repeatedly surprises me (or shouldn't surprise me anymore) about some in our fanbase that have said more than one occasion that they don't think MK is doing a good enough job or have questioned his abilities, or he is not doing things fast enough.

Well those people are either freaking ignorant or just looking for reasons to ***** and complain....News Flash - MK does know what the F___ he is doing.  So if your mojo is to continously down MK then you don't know what you are talking about and Shut the F up!!

Edited by Jonesy Bull

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,485

7 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

This is what repeatedly surprises me (or shouldn't surprise me anymore) about some in our fanbase that have said more than one occasion that they don't think MK is doing a good enough job or have questioned his abilities, or he is not doing things fast enough.

Well those people are either freaking ignorant or just looking for reasons to ***** and complain....News Flash - MK does know what the F___ he is doing.  So if your mojo is to continously down MK then you don't know what you are talking about and Shut the F up!!

Some think if he's not asking for their advice or telling them all his plans for athletics, he must not be doing his job.  The biggest red flag.  He's not tweeting!  Oh No, fire him now!!  Not sure how we lucked out to get him, but let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Some think if he's not asking for their advice or telling them all his plans for athletics, he must not be doing his job.  The biggest red flag.  He's not tweeting!  Oh No, fire him now!!  Not sure how we lucked out to get him, but let's enjoy it while it lasts.

It was a little bit of luck that he was available for us to get him, but make no mistkake that it was MK and his connections that really got us here.

Now with all the excitement from this Presser, there is still alot of work for JS to do.  He is walking into kind of a mess, and it won't get turned around immediately.  But I think we all like our chances alot more now than a few days ago.