• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does Kerwin Bell hate offense?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, usf97 said:

To add to my last long post. The CCS contract buyout is probably another reason many "hope" that somehow KB will succeed whether as an OC or HC. It is the only "hope" out there. 

Technically, with CCS's contract, we are being required to endure 29 more games of this. That just seems terrible to comprehend. 

Assuming the school is willing to eat $2.5 million of CCS's contract and fire him one year early.....that still means we have to endure another 17 games of this nonsense. Most do not want to accept that. 

Any termination of CCS would require hiring another new staff. We haven't seen anything to lead us to believe that USF is willing to fork out $5-$6 million in one season to the football program between buyouts and new salaries. That is truly what most want to see but how realistic is that? I would love to see it but I tend to doubt it. 

Thus, some have speculated, if Kelly were to offer KB a "head coaching" try out on the cheap for next season.....could that be any worse?  Even if it is. I would acknowledge listening to KB's comments postgame are better than listening to CCS. 

Strong and his staff are gone after this year without a miraculous turnaround

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

18 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Good post.  Do we have an athletic dual threat QB on the roster currently?

Jah'Quez Evans

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5468638/5cf8847615f5930e2ccfbb21

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jahquez-evans/CstAOi_IEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/videos.htm?videoid=e9465e18-3694-4a43-b711-78bc1e3edc97

I don't know if he could be that guy but that's the only one on the roster. I don't see McCloud with the same mobility even when he was healthy. 

Edited by usf97

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, usf97 said:

To add to my last long post. The CCS contract buyout is probably another reason many "hope" that somehow KB will succeed whether as an OC or HC. It is the only "hope" out there. 

Technically, with CCS's contract, we are being required to endure 29 more games of this. That just seems terrible to comprehend. 

Assuming the school is willing to eat $2.5 million of CCS's contract and fire him one year early.....that still means we have to endure another 17 games of this nonsense. Most do not want to accept that. 

Any termination of CCS would require hiring another new staff. We haven't seen anything to lead us to believe that USF is willing to fork out $5-$6 million in one season to the football program between buyouts and new salaries. That is truly what most want to see but how realistic is that? I would love to see it but I tend to doubt it. 

Thus, some have speculated, if Kelly were to offer KB a "head coaching" try out on the cheap for next season.....could that be any worse?  Even if it is. I would acknowledge listening to KB's comments postgame are better than listening to CCS. 

Excellent points here. The devil in the details is what is in that contract. But essentially if CCS is fired the entire house will be cleaned and a new direction started. I would hope it would be a young offensive minded coach who worships the spread offense. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,261
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Excellent points here. The devil in the details is what is in that contract. But essentially if CCS is fired the entire house will be cleaned and a new direction started. I would hope it would be a young offensive minded coach who worships the spread offense. 

Works for me unless they say pro style spread in which case Kelly should punch them in the face 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

I think culture matters a lot as to whether or not a team will "run through a brick wall" and give the effort, day in and day out, to actually learn how to execute the plays reliably. 

FWIW, the players are not going to run through a brick wall for Strong or for BJM.

Kerwin Bell and Kade Bell are great additions to this team, and I believe they have a passion and love of the game (and players) that has been sorely missed since Taggart left the program. 

Strong is not a players' coach... he's a disciplinarian, authoritarian "my way or the highway" type. Taggart was the exact opposite. He was forgiving, understanding, and got on the players' level and was a friend, mentor, and a coach. The Bells are the same way, and although they are a much needed presence for this team -- it's not enough to overcome the sheer emotional ineptitude of Strong, BJM, and some other staff. I don't see this team digging itself out of this hole as long as Strong is still the decision maker, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Works for me unless they say pro style spread in which case Kelly should punch them in the face 

Absolutely! 😂

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

24 minutes ago, horny_gimli said:

I think culture matters a lot as to whether or not a team will "run through a brick wall" and give the effort, day in and day out, to actually learn how to execute the plays reliably. 

FWIW, the players are not going to run through a brick wall for Strong or for BJM.

Kerwin Bell and Kade Bell are great additions to this team, and I believe they have a passion and love of the game (and players) that has been sorely missed since Taggart left the program. 

Strong is not a players' coach... he's a disciplinarian, authoritarian "my way or the highway" type. Taggart was the exact opposite. He was forgiving, understanding, and got on the players' level and was a friend, mentor, and a coach. The Bells are the same way, and although they are a much needed presence for this team -- it's not enough to overcome the sheer emotional ineptitude of Strong, BJM, and some other staff. I don't see this team digging itself out of this hole as long as Strong is still the decision maker, unfortunately. 

Our S&C coach comes to mind.  He sucks plus he looks like a real dbag.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

47 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Jah'Quez Evans

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5468638/5cf8847615f5930e2ccfbb21

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jahquez-evans/CstAOi_IEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/videos.htm?videoid=e9465e18-3694-4a43-b711-78bc1e3edc97

I don't know if he could be that guy but that's the only one on the roster. I don't see McCloud with the same mobility even when he was healthy. 

He definitely has some great highlights and hit some wide open receivers in that 8 minute clip.  I bet McCloud had some great tape as well.  Not sure why he isn't being considered.  

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I think the problem with JahQuez Evans is he doesn't match KB's offense nor was he recruited by KB. 

He was being recruited by Gilbert and Co.

He committed to USF in July 2018.

Then after Gilbert went to McNeese State, Evans decommitted from USF one week later. Only to go ahead and sign with USF a week after that. Basically he got caught up in a bad situation. 

He was put in during the SCSU game in a "Wildcat" type play but that was it. He looks like an ideal QB for a spread offense like we used to run. Designed roll outs with read/run options. A lot of his highlights were improvised due to lack of protection by the OL. 

I think it takes a lack of EGO for a lot of these OC's to just let these QB's succeed off of athleticism. Fans want a successful offense. OC's seem to care whether that success was a result of the play design. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

42 minutes ago, horny_gimli said:

like your line of thought and I agree that it is time to go to new plan using CKB. I think he would have success at D-1 with USF plus, we could maintain some continuity in the program instead of an all out house cleaning, new coach, new staff so here we go again...starting from square one.