• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does Kerwin Bell hate offense?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

14 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Oh and our Rush Defense is ranked #119 in the country but I'd expect Bell to overcome that as well.

Does anyone try to defend Jean? The team sucks and everyone accepts that CCS sucks, the defense sucks and everyone accepts that CBJM sucks and the offense is as bad as we have ever seen and sucks as bad as anything on this team and people line up in droves to excuse away any involvement in the offense KB has had. I am sure if we were laying 70 on teams and undefeated that the same people minimizing his responsibilities in the failure would be pointing out that it wasn’t his efforts that were really leading to success.

Since BryGuy cannot answer would anyone like to explain why KB is the one person absolved of the sin that is their job responsibility? 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Since BryGuy cannot answer would anyone like to explain why KB is the one person absolved of the sin that is their job responsibility? 

I don't think he is absolved.  It is just the big picture issue is ccs.  The offense issues didn't begin this year (or here at USF for that matter) and there are personnel issue, S & C issues, etc. on both sides of the ball that can hardly be placed on CKB.

So if you just need someone new to hurl venom at, by all means attack ckb, but if we are really concerned with the team and the program getting back on track, then why bother.  I believe someone already alluded to the fact that we could bring Bill Walsh back and his offense would look anemic under the current regime

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I don't think he is absolved.  It is just the big picture issue is ccs.  The offense issues didn't begin this year (or here at USF for that matter) and there are personnel issue, S & C issues, etc. on both sides of the ball that can hardly be placed on CKB.

So if you just need someone new to hurl venom at, by all means attack ckb, but if we are really concerned with the team and the program getting back on track, then why bother.  I believe someone already alluded to the fact that we could bring Bill Walsh back and his offense would look anemic under the current regime

Absolutely KB is not the sole problem or perhaps event the greatest problem but he is definitely part of the problem and has done absolutely nothing that anyone can even pretend is a positive. Just because an old washed up never was could not turn things around does not by any means prove that no one could have been serviceable under this regime, its just anyone that runs in CCS' circle is a bad coach as ****** coaches of a feather flock together. KB has done worse than you would expect any average OC to come into any average team and do, yet people are acting like if not for his situation he would be great (just being serviceable would be an amazing improvement).  The good thing is despite the unreasonable desire of some to separate KB from the rest of our coaching **** show he will still face the same fate as the others and the fitting reward his results have earned.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

33 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Nobody is I think absolving him...the offense is a bad but we are pretty bad at qb...and two of the ones we had transferred away last year.  If McCloud could make some easy passes we had several touchdowns these last few games with McDoom.  Receivers are open in this offense. 

Jean and Strong get most of the blame since they have been here longer and the team as a whole has declined since Strong was hired.  

Edited by Bulls On Parade

Just now, Bulls On Parade said:

Nobody is I think absolving him...the offense is a bad but we are pretty bad at qb...and two of the ones we had transferred away last year.  If McCloud could make a easy passes we had several touchdowns these last few games with McDoom.

Jean and Strong get most of the blame since they have been here longer and the team as a whole has declined since Strong was hired.  

As long as we all agree time makes Strong and Jean worse but KB and his tenure hear can be described as nothing short of horrible and the program will be better off when every single one of them are gone. 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I will take a stab. 

Timing is the problem and Puc has pointed that out as an issue previously. KB doesn't likely have enough time under the current situation to be successful even if he could be successful. The meter on this staff started running in 2017. Normally the fan base and the school will give you two - three seasons to get something new running. 

All of these "system guys" usually take a year or two to get their systems running. Art Briles at Baylor didn't really get rolling until year 4. Also, these "systems" seem to work better only at the lower levels of football. See Tony Franklin at Troy and La Tech versus Auburn and California. Mike Leach at TTU took 3 years and 4 years at WSU to get to 9 wins.  

If given enough time and a full offensive staff, maybe it is possible that KB could have success here. Yet we are still arguing at present whether he even has the autonomy to make the decision as to who starts and plays. Was he dumb enough to leave McCloud in there on Saturday or was that CCS's decision? 

Looking at it realistically, I don't think it matters. KB is currently tied to CCS. Trying to implement a pro style offense here is stupid. Is it fair to judge him after 7 games? Probably not thus the tendency to set him apart from the rest of the coaching staff. 

However,  CCS has shown here and at Texas he is incompetent. He tried to reinvent the wheel at Texas. Then again here with Gilbert, then now again with KB. All failures. It's just dumb. 

Why continue to experiment with an offense that might work one day given enough time when we have seen offenses work successfully here under Blackwell, Daniels, Grothe and QF that are based solely on athletic dual threat QBs. You have an advantage on those recruits over the big schools in only that you are willing to let them stay a QB at the college level versus having to convert to a DB at a P5 school. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

As long as we all agree time makes Strong and Jean worse but KB and his tenure hear can be described as nothing short of horrible and the program will be better off when every single one of them are gone. 

I want Strong and Jean gone more than anything...that likely means Bell gone also.

Bell if given more time I'm not sure maybe he brings in better qb and this offense looks good. We likely will never know since he is tied to a sinking rock that is Strong.

My primary issue is with the CEO and that's Strong.

If we had a top 20 defense I'd be ok maybe with Strong having another year and let offense develop even If we ended up with 5 wins..but our defense is ranked in the 70s or so.  

Nothing looks better since he was hired...its getting worse.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

To add to my last long post. The CCS contract buyout is probably another reason many "hope" that somehow KB will succeed whether as an OC or HC. It is the only "hope" out there. 

Technically, with CCS's contract, we are being required to endure 29 more games of this. That just seems terrible to comprehend. 

Assuming the school is willing to eat $2.5 million of CCS's contract and fire him one year early.....that still means we have to endure another 17 games of this nonsense. Most do not want to accept that. 

Any termination of CCS would require hiring another new staff. We haven't seen anything to lead us to believe that USF is willing to fork out $5-$6 million in one season to the football program between buyouts and new salaries. That is truly what most want to see but how realistic is that? I would love to see it but I tend to doubt it. 

Thus, some have speculated, if Kelly were to offer KB a "head coaching" try out on the cheap for next season.....could that be any worse?  Even if it is. I would acknowledge listening to KB's comments postgame are better than listening to CCS. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

18 minutes ago, usf97 said:

I will take a stab. 

Timing is the problem and Puc has pointed that out as an issue previously. KB doesn't likely have enough time under the current situation to be successful even if he could be successful. The meter on this staff started running in 2017. Normally the fan base and the school will give you two - three seasons to get something new running. 

All of these "system guys" usually take a year or two to get their systems running. Art Briles at Baylor didn't really get rolling until year 4. Also, these "systems" seem to work better only at the lower levels of football. See Tony Franklin at Troy and La Tech versus Auburn and California. Mike Leach at TTU took 3 years and 4 years at WSU to get to 9 wins.  

If given enough time and a full offensive staff, maybe it is possible that KB could have success here. Yet we are still arguing at present whether he even has the autonomy to make the decision as to who starts and plays. Was he dumb enough to leave McCloud in there on Saturday or was that CCS's decision? 

Looking at it realistically, I don't think it matters. KB is currently tied to CCS. Trying to implement a pro style offense here is stupid. Is it fair to judge him after 7 games? Probably not thus the tendency to set him apart from the rest of the coaching staff. 

However,  CCS has shown here and at Texas he is incompetent. He tried to reinvent the wheel at Texas. Then again here with Gilbert, then now again with KB. All failures. It's just dumb. 

Why continue to experiment with an offense that might work one day given enough time when we have seen offenses work successfully here under Blackwell, Daniels, Grothe and QF that are based solely on athletic dual threat QBs. You have an advantage on those recruits over the big schools in only that you are willing to let them stay a QB at the college level versus having to convert to a DB at a P5 school. 

Good post.  Do we have an athletic dual threat QB on the roster currently?