• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does Kerwin Bell hate offense?

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, puc86 said:

KB says he is fully in charge of the offense and CCS says KB is fully in control of the offense, also I am not sure CCS knows who is the current starting QB or would have any care or opinion is of who it should be since he can barely even pretend to have a passing interest in the subject when questioned about it. I am sure this is the one subject of USF football that CCS is fully invested in and the main decision maker on despite there being no reason for it, no evidence to it and him fully stating he thinks anything regarding coaching has nothing to do with him and should be left to his coordinators. 

We have had 2 different OC's here the last 2 years with basically the same offensive results.  What is the common denominator?  Same HC.

KB's offenses were not very good his first year at JU or VSU either.  I haven't given up on him because of the situation he has been put in, and its been shows that it takes a year for the players to "get" his offense because its complicated.  That and the fact that he doesn't have all the pieces in place yet and hurt QB's......what does one expect?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,258
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

We have had 2 different OC's here the last 2 years with basically the same offensive results.  What is the common denominator?  Same HC.

KB's offenses were not very good his first year at JU or VSU either.  I haven't given up on him because of the situation he has been put in, and its been shows that it takes a year for the players to "get" his offense because its complicated.  That and the fact that he doesn't have all the pieces in place yet and hurt QB's......what does one expect?

What if and this is a big what if one the biggest of CCS’ many faults is hiring bad coordinators?

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

What if and this is a big what if one the biggest of CCS’ many faults is hiring bad coordinators?

That's a distinct possibility.  But unlike you, I'm not ready to say that KB is a bad coordinator.  I don't think we have enough of a sample size especially given the current roster that is in place on Offense.

I was even more disappointed in the Defense this last game, that we didn't have a better game plan to stop what we knew was coming.  Right now we don't have a good team, and that falls on CCS in my mind.

8 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

That's a distinct possibility.  But unlike you, I'm not ready to say that KB is a bad coordinator.  I don't think we have enough of a sample size especially given the current roster that is in place on Offense.

I was even more disappointed in the Defense this last game, that we didn't have a better game plan to stop what we knew was coming.  Right now we don't have a good team, and that falls on CCS in my mind.

I mean I suppose it’s possible that the first great coordinating hire CCS made was the guy 20 years deep into coaching and was still in DII and that the only reason he was still there was he was waiting on this perfect opportunity and that this perfect opportunity was only turned to imperfect because thru no fault of his own every qb he has started has been injured and that he has produced the worst results we have ever seen in what has been 30% of what will at most be the 24 games he will coach here but that will miracle itself into huge results based on the freshman qb he will bring in this offseason to save his and CCS’ job by vitally producing any offense at all next season or it could just be he isn’t very good and he will never again coach at this level. Maybe there is a place he could have had some success at this level and he probably should have picked better if he had any options because it most certainly is obvious to anyone watching any portion of our offense that it will never be here.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Our offense is flaccid

25 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Our offense is flaccid

Well if you were to envision a personification of flaccid it would probably look a lot like this

Kerwin Bell says he is excited about returning to Florida and serving as USF's new offensive coordinator.

2 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

He doesn't hate offense Puc, he just personally hates you and does all this to infuriate you.

I ******* knew it but I didn’t want to say it on here because I knew people like trip and Neb would ignore the obvious connection and accuse me of being a narcissist.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  166
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, usf97 said:

I will take a stab. 

Timing is the problem and Puc has pointed that out as an issue previously. KB doesn't likely have enough time under the current situation to be successful even if he could be successful. The meter on this staff started running in 2017. Normally the fan base and the school will give you two - three seasons to get something new running. 

All of these "system guys" usually take a year or two to get their systems running. Art Briles at Baylor didn't really get rolling until year 4. Also, these "systems" seem to work better only at the lower levels of football. See Tony Franklin at Troy and La Tech versus Auburn and California. Mike Leach at TTU took 3 years and 4 years at WSU to get to 9 wins.  

If given enough time and a full offensive staff, maybe it is possible that KB could have success here. Yet we are still arguing at present whether he even has the autonomy to make the decision as to who starts and plays. Was he dumb enough to leave McCloud in there on Saturday or was that CCS's decision? 

Looking at it realistically, I don't think it matters. KB is currently tied to CCS. Trying to implement a pro style offense here is stupid. Is it fair to judge him after 7 games? Probably not thus the tendency to set him apart from the rest of the coaching staff. 

However,  CCS has shown here and at Texas he is incompetent. He tried to reinvent the wheel at Texas. Then again here with Gilbert, then now again with KB. All failures. It's just dumb. 

Why continue to experiment with an offense that might work one day given enough time when we have seen offenses work successfully here under Blackwell, Daniels, Grothe and QF that are based solely on athletic dual threat QBs. You have an advantage on those recruits over the big schools in only that you are willing to let them stay a QB at the college level versus having to convert to a DB at a P5 school. 

Ckb had 2 duel threat QBs at Valdosta state. His Qbs ran for over 1000 yards. One ran for 11 touchdowns and the other ran for 7. The back up was Ivory Durham who won Raines High School the state championship. He was in the same class as mccloud. He was just short.  Ckb hasn’t got to recruit the qb he needs here yet. He has 2 athletic QBs committed in this class. Offenses work because of the Qb that is catching the snaps. Ckb got stuck with ccs QBs that we’re recruited before he got here. Ckb always finds good QBs every where he has been. His qb at Valdosta state came in 2nd for the d2 heisman. So we can’t say Ckb offense won’t work here when he has had Duel Threat QBs just like last year. His starter had 50 total Total touchdowns as a sophomore. 

5 minutes ago, Bullgrad84 said:

Ckb had 2 duel threat QBs at Valdosta state. His Qbs ran for over 1000 yards. One ran for 11 touchdowns and the other ran for 7. The back up was Ivory Durham who won Raines High School the state championship. He was in the same class as mccloud. He was just short.  Ckb hasn’t got to recruit the qb he needs here yet. He has 2 athletic QBs committed in this class. Offenses work because of the Qb that is catching the snaps. Ckb got stuck with ccs QBs that we’re recruited before he got here. Ckb always finds good QBs every where he has been. His qb at Valdosta state came in 2nd for the d2 heisman. So we can’t say Ckb offense won’t work here when he has had Duel Threat QBs just like last year. His starter had 50 total Total touchdowns as a sophomore. 

At most he has one more shot at it, how do you like his chances? I place them somewhere between slim and none.