• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Could Coach Rutgers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, Danm1983 said:

I know there was a lot of lament even on this board for "suffering" through 8 and 9 win seasons, but I don't know how long it would've taken for USF to fire him for "underachievement". CJL could have probably kept winning 8-9 games a year (and likely a 7 or 10 win season sprinkled in), and kept his job for a while. I know Judy and some powers that be didn't like his stature as biggest man on campus and probably would've loved to can him at some point, but his incident was probably viewed as the best thing to happen in their eyes because i don't think the fanbase would've ever turned on CJL for constantly going to bowls and 8/9 win seasons, though it's fun to wonder if he continued that win rate into the AAC if that would've been viewed as acceptable at THAT point.

How long would the fanbase have been satisfied with a middling at best conference record.  25-26 over seven seasons,  and going bottom feeder bowls?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

16 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

How long would the fanbase have been satisfied with a middling at best conference record.  25-26 over seven seasons,  and going bottom feeder bowls?

Exactly...it’s really disgusting how ucf has blown by us...

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,338
  • Days Won:  10

And he was recruiting with a BCS label.  That was an advantage as we can see now.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But the issue was it was more like 7/8 wins not 9. I do think people got tired of that and wanted to get over the next hump. At the same time a long term coach winning 7/8 in the AAC (inferior) would not last more than five years wining 7 games consistently (ECU is an example of that). Sure many will say that’s not the case but if you can’t win a championship in this conference in five years your going to get a hard look for your future. 

Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,007
  • Days Won:  469

And the result was selfish, ego-driven destruction and failure.  Yippee.  

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

On 9/29/2019 at 3:50 PM, Brad said:

SMazz twas a huge Rutgers fan and seemed to think Leavitt underperformed beginning in '96 practice game.  The two together could push him over the edge.

Absolutely correct.

While it is true that I never hesitated to butt heads with Steve over some of his comments, there are people from the board who were often surprised that I defended his positions in that I always side with free speech and I did not totally disagree with his positions. I just think Steve focused too much on Leavitt's liabilities and did not appreciate the things that went right.  I was a Leavitt critic also but felt the pluses outweighed the minuses. While I would never say that Leavitt was the only one who cared about the program, I will say that his caring and intensity were unmatched.  In fact, I would argue that his love of the program was a little over the top.  Still, that is what you need when you are an upstart.  He found diamonds in the rough and got them to play over their heads.  He just never found the players who could take on the teams which ran downhill and threw to the tight ends.  He also never had a consistent offense which came out and smashed you in the face. 

Back to the main topic. Our program is dead in the water now.  I am certain that it will not happen but I do have a strong opinion on the subject of rehiring Leavitt.  I am not sure that I would personally be for it but can be sure that it would create more buzz and sizzle in the steak than the program has had in a long time. Fans that loved him would return and the detractors and curiosity seekers would come out to see what happens.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Saw this old article and reminded me of this thread. Here is a taste of what was being said back in 2009. This didn’t age well. This guy is a realtor now.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/293727-south-floridas-jim-leavitt-bulls-fans-hes-yours-forever

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,007
  • Days Won:  469

Yes, I remember that turd, Edrington.  Went back and forth with him a lot back then.  He was one of McMurphy's pals and took a role like Deumig did to sensationalize and exaggerate everything in order to win Brett's battle with Leavitt.  They got the win!

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

Duemig has been a lot better lately 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

Duemig has been a lot better lately 

Are you referring to his underground radio station?

• Haha 1