• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Could Coach Rutgers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Our last 3 football hires should have had success here, if this school is what we think it is. One didn't, one did, one the story isn't over yet but the guillotine is slowly being raised. There's no such thing as a lock when talking about hiring coaches, unless you're looking in hindsight.

Willie had success, Skip didnt, and I'm assuming you mean CCS's story isnt done yet? Isnt losing 9 straight vs FBS competition in year 3 with all his guys seeing enough? What else is there to see? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,545
  • Days Won:  423

5 hours ago, WhoRUSF said:

Willie had success, Skip didnt, and I'm assuming you mean CCS's story isnt done yet? Isnt losing 9 straight vs FBS competition in year 3 with all his guys seeing enough? What else is there to see? 

I'm just saying it ain't officially over til the fat lady sings ....... but she is humming awfully loudly.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, ZeroBullChip said:

Well the golden question is, does he still care.  I doubt it.  It is no longer his baby.  I'm kind of going through this right now with another scenario.  The only sane way to deal with it is to cut your loses and move on.

Leavitt built up the muscle car from scratch, got busted driving 150mph, and got it taken away.

He'd be coming back to take it away from 3 other owners of the car who have changed out parts to make it their own, and it's been crashed twice and currently sits in a scrap yard.

I don't know at this point if he wants to do it. But, his mentor Bill Snyder did it twice, but Snyder has a totally different personality than Jim does. From his vague social media presence over the years in San Fran, Boulder, and Eugene, i think he's made peace with what went down and has embraced just doing what he loves doing, coaching. That said, I don't think he comes back to coach, though I do think one day he'll step foot on campus (now that judy is gone) and at least get a standing ovation from some as a "thanks for building up what you did." i mean even people at OSU praise Woody Hayes for being a good coach and how he treated players overall, but certainly there was one incident that you couldn't ignore and know it's a permanent tarnish.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm just saying it ain't officially over til the fat lady sings ....... but she is humming awfully loudly.

Hummer? Fat lady? Nooooooo thank you! 😂

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

21 hours ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

I dont care what NEB and Dave Glaser say. The majority of the fanbase would be in favor of bringing back CJL. 

You want passion from your fanbase? You want to grow up the fanbase again? Bring back the coach whose passion cannot be matched. Michael Kelly and CJL is a winning combo.

How many of “the fanbase” did your poll consist of?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

46 minutes ago, Danm1983 said:

Leavitt built up the muscle car from scratch, got busted driving 150mph, and got it taken away.

How many Conference Trophies did win while driving his “muscle car”?

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

9 hours ago, Triple B said:

What's interesting is that in the two examples that Army specifically mentioned, those programs went a different direction with their hires. Bottom line to me is that it's the luck of the draw rather than a school having better "vision" as has been mentioned. Our last 3 football hires should have had success here, if this school is what we think it is. One didn't, one did, one the story isn't over yet but the guillotine is slowly being raised. There's no such thing as a lock when talking about hiring coaches, unless you're looking in hindsight.

Agreed.  There is no guarantee of success but you can increase your probably of having success if you have an identity and stick to it.  And it helps if the identity is something you can recruit to based on your grand status in college football.  We went from a highly passionate defensive coordinator as the first head coach who had an unprecedented level of success and who built this thing from nothing to a nice guy with an offensive background that had some success at other programs.  That didn’t work out so well.  Then we hired a young up and coming head coach with a lot of bravado that was able to recruit who ultimately had success with a fun high powered offense after taking advice and listening to others.  After he moved on, we hired a tired old blah defensive minded coach who was fired from his last gig and at his first presser said he needed to slow down the offense.  That’s a goal he was definitely able to accomplish.  And we wonder why this hasn’t worked out.

After Taggart, if we had found a young up and coming either coordinator or head coach with a similar offensive philosophy I don’t think we’d be where we are today, which is Chuckles Purgatory.

With the next hire, I hope Mike Kelly establishes an identity and sticks to it.  An innovative offensive system that relies on athletes and a level of Offensive lineman we can recruit to.  And as coaches move on, stick to that identity.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,545
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Agreed.  There is no guarantee of success but you can increase your probably of having success if you have an identity and stick to it.  And it helps if the identity is something you can recruit to based on your grand status in college football.  We went from a highly passionate defensive coordinator as the first head coach who had an unprecedented level of success and who built this thing from nothing to a nice guy with an offensive background that had some success at other programs.  That didn’t work out so well.  Then we hired a young up and coming head coach with a lot of bravado that was able to recruit who ultimately had success with a fun high powered offense after taking advice and listening to others.  After he moved on, we hired a tired old blah defensive minded coach who was fired from his last gig and at his first presser said he needed to slow down the offense.  That’s a goal he was definitely able to accomplish.  And we wonder why this hasn’t worked out.

After Taggart, if we had found a young up and coming either coordinator or head coach with a similar offensive philosophy I don’t think we’d be where we are today, which is Chuckles Purgatory.

With the next hire, I hope Mike Kelly establishes an identity and sticks to it.  An innovative offensive system that relies on athletes and a level of Offensive lineman we can recruit to.  And as coaches move on, stick to that identity.

Are there not any programs out there built from young, defensive coordinators? That's where we, ARGUABLY, have had the most sustained "success" ..... or is that just not done any more.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Are they offering a degree in Idolizing Jim Leavitt?

oh my god wow GIF

• Haha 1