• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kerwin Bell - Hopefully Offense will start humming

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,354
  • Days Won:  43

3 minutes ago, usf97 said:

What I like about Bell is when he talks, I don't sense a lot of "coach speak" which typically just comes across as unwilling to adjust. I recall when people would ask Tony Dungy about the Bucs' offense, he would say, "We just need to execute better". 

Um, ok. But we could all see Trent Dilfer wasn't going to execute better. Are we really going to attempt to win every game 3-0? Can we try something, anything, other than just saying that what we are running will work if we execute better. We heard the same thing about Sterlin Gilbert's offense. Hey, maybe make some adjustments based on the personnel you have?!?

As long as I see progress and adjustments, then I am good with Bell. He has to be given time. Bell has only been here 3 games. So if his offense doesn't work, I would hope his answer is not "we just need to get better O-linemen". I would assume he would modify his scheme or the O-line to adjust to what he actually has to work with. I will say, just in 3 games, I can see what Bell is trying to do and he is trying to out X and O his opponent. I haven't generally seen that from a USF O-Coordination so I find it refreshing. Whether he will be successful....only time will tell. 

Hell yeah, man!! I agree that KB is gonna play a big role in turning this around soon. Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

It’s really baffling that there are people who, 3 games in, have already decided that they don’t like him. 

let’s put this all into perspective...

Bell comes in and changes the offense, which means that it’s completely new for the players. Of course we would start our same starter from last year, who actually had some success and college experience, rather than a freshman. It was figured out by game 2 that we need to go in a different direction than Barnett. A few of you said “there’s no way Blake will be benched, that’s how Strong operates. It’s Strong’s guy and he’ll ride with him the whole season.” Yeah, no. I get it if Bell hasn’t been successful in the past regardless if it wasn’t at the FBS level or if he’s been here for a year and we’ve seen no progress. I get that we played and FCS team and we scored a lot against an easier opponent. But come on now, let things play out. Put the pitch forks away, take a few deep breaths, and try to enjoy football. 

First day on the internet?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

20 minutes ago, puc86 said:

First day on the internet?

I’ve been on here long enough to know that there are some that are a bit logical, but I’ve seen way more negativity than what we should see on here lately with us not even have had played our first conference game. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

Anybody remember when KB said that BB had a great arm, could make all the throws, etc. Then he followed that up with, "we just gotta get him to calm his feet down in the pocket and make his reads,"? I think maybe KB saw all he needed to see between the two QB's.

13 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I’ve been on here long enough to know that there are some that are a bit logical, but I’ve seen way more negativity than what we should see on here lately with us not even have had played our first conference game. 

Optimism is great and everyone hopes that’s everything goes well and that they could not be more wrong about any negativity. That being said being realistic or even perhaps negative doesn’t necessarily mean that people are wrong or shouldn’t contribute as sounding boards and echo chambers doesn’t make for very interesting conversation. We haven’t seen USF play Alabama or Clemson yet this season but we have seen enough from both teams to have a pretty good idea of how it would go.

So far this team and the offense in particular has been less than stellar and there is more evidence that it is going to be a rough year than there is that we will miracle it all together. Most people wanted to believe that this was a year where we would need to see improvement in order to stay the course with the program but it’s pretty clear that at best we will match last season.

Now there are many “reasons” for why improvement won’t come but when people have lost confidence in you it’s probably best to implement something that can have an immediate effect and utilize the talent as you have it and not three years in the future when you more than likely won’t be here and we move onto something someone else hopes will be effective.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Optimism is great and everyone hopes that’s everything goes well and that they could not be more wrong about any negativity. That being said being realistic or even perhaps negative doesn’t necessarily mean that people are wrong or shouldn’t contribute as sounding boards and echo chambers doesn’t make for very interesting conversation. We haven’t seen USF play Alabama or Clemson yet this season but we have seen enough from both teams to have a pretty good idea of how it would go.

So far this team and the offense in particular has been less than stellar and there is more evidence that it is going to be a rough year than there is that we will miracle it all together. Most people wanted to believe that this was a year where we would need to see improvement in order to stay the course with the program but it’s pretty clear that at best we will match last season.

Now there are many “reasons” for why improvement won’t come but when people have lost confidence in you it’s probably best to implement something that can have an immediate effect and utilize the talent as you have it and not three years in the future when you more than likely won’t be here and we move onto something someone else hopes will be effective.

Whoa whoa hold on now. I’m not speaking about optimism at all. I’m speaking about patience for this next 1-2 games. We have no idea at all how well McCloud will play against SMU but I’m not ready to fully judge this team until this weekend. People were ready to fire Strong after his first season here. The only thing I’m saying is wait to see how the SMU game goes at the very least. Outside of strong give the coaches here a chance to let their systems work. BJM seems to be doing a decent job. 

And how is there more evidence? The first game we got blown out, the second we technically should have one after the adjustments were made, and the third we blew out a team that we were supposed to. That doesn’t signify anything other than growth to me. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I think that being realistic also includes realizing the actual situation you are in. We are stuck with CCS probably this and next season whether he wins or loses the next 21 games. So we might as well make the best of it. 

1 minute ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Whoa whoa hold on now. I’m not speaking about optimism at all. I’m speaking about patience for this next 1-2 games. We have no idea at all how well McCloud will play against SMU but I’m not ready to fully judge this team until this weekend. People were ready to fire Strong after his first season here. The only thing I’m saying is wait to see how the SMU game goes at the very least. Outside of strong give the coaches here a chance to let their systems work. BJM seems to be doing a decent job. 

I guess I just do not understand where the arbitrary line is and why it exists. The season is 1/4 of the way over and as I assume we were working on some things prior the start of the season, I do not think anyone can honestly say they are satisfied with what they have seen to date. KB came in talking about wanting to score early and often but made us question if we would ever score again.  If you plan something for months and it produces absolutely nothing our of the gate is isn't unreasonable for people to question you (especially with your zero experience), your system, your judgment on player selection or the approach you took. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

It’s really baffling that there are people who, 3 games in, have already decided that they don’t like him.

It's really not that baffling at all considering those who don't like him fall into basically two categories. They either don't like him because CCS hired him or  CJL didn't hire him.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I saw on the Twitterverse today that USF offered a JUCO OT a scholarship so it appears they realize they have issues to address. 

https://twitter.com/usfbulls_rivals?lang=en