• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kerwin Bell - Hopefully Offense will start humming

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

Whether you intentionally missed my point is always a question with you.  Why would USF want a kid that is playing college football at a level under USF?  You feel that way about coaches.  The high school thing was a joke.  Okay, most of it was just to illicit a response.  You are assuming KB can't improve or step up.  

Brian Kelly was at Grand Valley State before Central Michigan, Cinci and now the Univ of Football.  People move up the coaching ranks all the time.  

No you seem to have missed my point the example of the kid is an example of natural progression and growth. KB is not an example of a normal job progression and I have thoroughly shown the fact this is an outlier hire by giving the histories of a large sampling of aac and p5 offensive coordinators and none had no FBS experience. My issue isn’t that KB had a job at any level of football it’s that he is 20 years deep into his career and has always coached at a substantially lower level.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

11 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Whether you intentionally missed my point is always a question with you.  Why would USF want a kid that is playing college football at a level under USF?  You feel that way about coaches.  The high school thing was a joke.  Okay, most of it was just to illicit a response.  You are assuming KB can't improve or step up.  

Brian Kelly was at Grand Valley State before Central Michigan, Cinci and now the Univ of Football.  People move up the coaching ranks all the time.  

I’m going to throw in another point. It’s an assumption that D2 doesn’t have a lot of the skill set that D1 has which on the surface may be true to an extent,  it can also be littered with d1 talent. Craig Watts came to mind. While he may not have done amazing at USF by any means, he’s still got d1 talent without question. My point is that his offense was successful against good players, and can still very well be successful at a higher level. 

2 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I’m going to throw in another point. It’s an assumption that D2 doesn’t have a lot of the skill set that D1 has which on the surface may be true to an extent,  it can also be littered with d1 talent. Craig Watts came to mind. While he may not have done amazing at USF by any means, he’s still got d1 talent without question. My point is that his offense was successful against good players, and can still very well be successful at a higher level. 

My greatest concern with it is that perhaps you can get the offensive lineman you need to come to Valdosta and be successful against DII competition and that we are not able to get the lineman we need here to run it against our competition. I think Oline has always been an issue, I don’t think it will ever be resolved and I think we need to accept that fact and pick OC’s that have offenses that scheme around O-lines and do not have an expectation that it will ever be a strength.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

My greatest concern with it is that perhaps you can get the offensive lineman you need to come to Valdosta and be successful against DII competition and that we are not able to get the lineman we need here to run it against our competition. I think Oline has always been an issue, I don’t think it will ever be resolved and I think we need to accept that fact and pick OC’s that have offenses that scheme around O-lines and do not have an expectation that it will ever be a strength.

That’s a very legitimate concern. It seems like year after year after year the o line is a concern. We always hear about how the offensive line is our biggest question mark in pre season. At some point that needs to change. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,875
  • Days Won:  67

9 minutes ago, puc86 said:

My issue isn’t that KB had a job at any level of football it’s that he is 20 years deep into his career and has always coached at a substantially lower level.

This is a head scratcher and my only thought or hope is that he planned to play out his career at JU because he was comfortable and liked the area however got canned due to a disagreement.  Went to VSU and had some success and was willing to parlay this into something bigger once he got an opportunity once again in a desirable location close to his N FL roots.  I want to believe that if he chose to go up the ranks earlier in his career he could have but is a country boy that wanted to stay close to home and not bounce around every couple of years chasing a dream job. 

1 minute ago, OcalaBull2 said:

That’s a very legitimate concern. It seems like year after year after year the o line is a concern. We always hear about how the offensive line is our biggest question mark in pre season. At some point that needs to change. 

We went into this year hearing it would be a strength, my guess is because we needed it to be.

3 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

This is a head scratcher and my only thought or hope is that he planned to play out his career at JU because he was comfortable and liked the area however got canned due to a disagreement.  Went to VSU and had some success and was willing to parlay this into something bigger once he got an opportunity once again in a desirable location close to his N FL roots.  I want to believe that if he chose to go up the ranks earlier in his career he could have but is a country boy that wanted to stay close to home and not bounce around every couple of years chasing a dream job. 

I never considered the idea that someone wouldn’t want to move up in their career and was just waiting for the right opportunity to open up 20 years later. I guess it’s possible that he has been turning down offers and USF was the perfect opportunity but it doesn’t seem that probable to me.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

It’s a personal preference of mine that there be some familiarity with the level someone is looking to preform at, had he had position coaching at a higher level I would be far more comfortable. I understand that it’s not a big deal for some but to me it comes across as a glaring issue.

That’s horse marlarky....every position coach ever moved from a lower level to a higher level. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

I never considered the idea that someone wouldn’t want to move up in their career...

Like taking a job at Alabama when you’re the coach at USF?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Your point is relative to recruiting but there are so many doing it on a team...I am sure KB knows full well what he needs on the line.