• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A word of caution with firing head coaches

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

I thought Coach Srrongs buyout is 22 weeks pay, from what I heard on  a radio show last week, per a review of his agreement. This article seems to confirm that, 192,000, if accurate. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ I saw other  articles quoting 2M this  year, 1.7M thereafter.

I always ask fans, if you fire X person, who are you going to hire that is better? I think at this time of year, the  number of available candidates is small, so someone would probably be promoted in an interim fashion.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

I thought Coach Srrongs buyout is 22 weeks pay, from what I heard on  a radio show last week, per a review of his agreement. This article seems to confirm that, 192,000, if accurate. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ I saw other  articles quoting 2M this  year, 1.7M thereafter.

I always ask fans, if you fire X person, who are you going to hire that is better? I think at this time of year, the  number of available candidates is small, so someone would probably be promoted in an interim fashion.

That's what the school pays him. the bulk of his pay (and a much higher buyout) comes from the USF Foundation which is not part of the public record. I know this article is from last year but Joey just linked it in a story to suggest Strong isn't going anywhere because his buyout is more than most think.

A documents request by the Tampa Bay Times has revealed Strong would be owed more than the feeble amount (20 weeks of his $500,000 base salary) indicated in his standard state contract if he were to be dismissed.

In response to the request, the school indicated other buyout terms are included in an agreement between Strong and the USF Foundation, the school's private fundraising arm. As a direct-support organization, USF Foundation records are confidential and exempt from disclosure under Florida law.

But it is believed Strong's buyout amount in that agreement is considerable.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/11/29/sorry-charlie-critics-strongs-usf-buyout-bigger-than-presumed/

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I was the one who "speculated" that $7.8 million number but that is "probably" the worst case scenario. That would be if Harlan guaranteed his entire contract but that is making the ridiculous assumption that his salary per the public record is even accurate. 

Trying to read between the lines and I spoke to this back in January, when you look at Charlie Strong, do you see an anxious man, coaching for his life? I don't. I saw that version of him at Texas. He was practically begging the media and boosters to give him more time. I don't see any concern from him at the moment. 

If you are worried about your job or if you only have say a $1 or $2 million dollar buyout.....are you buying a $3.2 million house in July 2019? https://photos.cltampa.com/usf-coach-charlie-strong-just-bought-this-south-tampa-home-for-3-2-million/?slide=1&screen-shot-2019-07-09-at-11-14-04-am

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

2 hours ago, footnfan1 said:

A one nutted squirrel would be an improvement 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, usf97 said:

I was the one who "speculated" that $7.8 million number but that is "probably" the worst case scenario. That would be if Harlan guaranteed his entire contract but that is making the ridiculous assumption that his salary per the public record is even accurate. 

Trying to read between the lines and I spoke to this back in January, when you look at Charlie Strong, do you see an anxious man, coaching for his life? I don't. I saw that version of him at Texas. He was practically begging the media and boosters to give him more time. I don't see any concern from him at the moment. 

If you are worried about your job or if you only have say a $1 or $2 million dollar buyout.....are you buying a $3.2 million house in July 2019? https://photos.cltampa.com/usf-coach-charlie-strong-just-bought-this-south-tampa-home-for-3-2-million/?slide=1&screen-shot-2019-07-09-at-11-14-04-am

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure where I read it. 

No, I don't. I see him blaming himself and doing nothing about it every week. I understand that mindset, I've been there before, maybe he's got personal problems going on, but if he's not fully committed he needs to walk away-it's that simple. 

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

That is just his public record contract.We have already been told there is more to that story. They signed a 2nd deal through the USF foundation to avoid the Sunshine State Laws. 

If you believe the boys over at TDS, they state that the majority of his base salary is guaranteed. Maybe 80%, 90% or possibly even 100%. 100% would be $7.8 million. 

If true, then CCS is likely here at least this and next season. Possibly all 3 seasons (It took us 5 years to pay out Skippy's $2.5 million buyout). Thanks Harlan. 

52 minute mark. 

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/9/5/20850493/the-bulluminati-podcast-the-take-two-edition-usf-football-georgia-tech-wisconson-charlie-strong-aac

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, Blackice12 said:

Firing coaches don’t always yield the results people are expecting.  For example Kansas.  Since firing Mark Mangino, Kansas went on to win only 16 games in 9 seasons   Similarly Texas Tech since firing Mike Leach has only had 4 winning seasons in the last 9 years.

Other one...Fulmer and Tennessee. Geez what a good program that's now mediocre. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  483
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Mangino and Leach were both decent coaches who had winning records yearly, but managed to max out the potential of relatively limited schools. Strong had a good record the first year and a half, but the further we've gotten from the Taggart era the worse the team  has looked. His last truly good win was the Georgia Tech game last year and that remains the only team with a winning record he's beaten. 

I'm going to give Woolard some credit here-he made a good hire with Taggart even as he screwed everything else up. Harlan stuck his flag by Strong and ignored the red flags. I don't think Michael Kelly is beholden to Strong as a coach, but his hands may be tied. I read somewhere that Strong's buyout is $7.8 million, which is worse than anything Woolard could have done if true. That would absolutely kill the program. 

I don't agree with this take. Willie Taggart was simply not a good X's and O's coach (FAU home loss anyone?), though he was an exceptional recruiter. Had the team not made a miraculous turnaround in year 3, he likely would have been let go at the end of the year. During his one year at Oregon, he had the QB who might be this year's #1 pick in the NFL draft and a defense coached by CJL, which I think spoke for itself. His team was still only slightly above average. We have all seen how poor FSU has been over the past year but I actually expect that to get fixed because of Kendal Briles (who might be a great coach to look at if CCS doesn't make it) in spite of CWT's poor coaching ability. Our team got worse from the CJL days, with a tiny glimpse of daylight with CSH (Notre Dame, etc.) and a year and a half from CWT (because of QF, MM, NFL defensive players and a high school coach). We had one good year so far with CCS as a result of CWT's strong players. CWT, a great recruiter, did not carry enough water to earn a line in history proclaiming a 'post CWT era'. I actually think Woolard did NOT make a good hire, he just got lucky. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

31 minutes ago, mj796 said:

I don't agree with this take. Willie Taggart was simply not a good X's and O's coach (FAU home loss anyone?), though he was an exceptional recruiter. Had the team not made a miraculous turnaround in year 3, he likely would have been let go at the end of the year. During his one year at Oregon, he had the QB who might be this year's #1 pick in the NFL draft and a defense coached by CJL, which I think spoke for itself. His team was still only slightly above average. We have all seen how poor FSU has been over the past year but I actually expect that to get fixed because of Kendal Briles (who might be a great coach to look at if CCS doesn't make it) in spite of CWT's poor coaching ability. Our team got worse from the CJL days, with a tiny glimpse of daylight with CSH (Notre Dame, etc.) and a year and a half from CWT (because of QF, MM, NFL defensive players and a high school coach). We had one good year so far with CCS as a result of CWT's strong players. CWT, a great recruiter, did not carry enough water to earn a line in history proclaiming a 'post CWT era'. I actually think Woolard did NOT make a good hire, he just got lucky. 

You realize Taggart was 6-1 during the regular season and had a top 5 offense when Herbert played in a game,right?

their only loss was a 2 point loss against a ranked ASU team.

He was hurt for 5 games where they went 1-4 with 3 losses against ranked teams.

It's amazing that people attribute Taggart's career to luck.

• Upvote 1