• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A word of caution with firing head coaches

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

A word of caution to those Bullspenners who are wanting to fire Charlie Strong.

Firing coaches don’t always yield the results people are expecting.  For example Kansas.  Since firing Mark Mangino, Kansas went on to win only 16 games in 9 seasons   Similarly Texas Tech since firing Mike Leach has only had 4 winning seasons in the last 9 years.

Changing the mentality of a team, install a new offense and defense takes time.  There is no magic pixie dust.   Also there is no "lot" of money ready to be dished out to continually fire and hire head coaches. Chances are the next head coach will come with a higher sticker price than the last and we will still need to pay the former.

USF does not have the money via the alumni base nor the conference media contract when compared to the two Big 12 schools that I mentioned.  But if money is there..  how about you put a some money to the indoor practice facility.  Chances are the next head coach will be advocating for that as well.  But if the money is not there...  how about you continue to cheer on these young men who are playing for their pleasure and for our entertainment.

Go Buls

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

story justice GIF by Primer

As a G5 you’re always damned if you do, damned if you don’t. It’s hard to claw your way to relevance and then have that completely undone by someone. You will lose support/donors and lose money. Or you may have to pay a buyout and lose money. Either way it’s a bitter pill when you have to part ways with a coach.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  140

Wouldn't it be great if employers had to follow that logic? You screwed up all last year-- but on the chance that the next guy might be worse, we'll keep you around.

Money is part of the problem. Of course-- if we knew the particulars of the contract being held by a private company, that would do wonders for our viewpoint. I don't know how public schools found a way to get around this using the private party method -seems pretty unethical. I suppose that means CCS is not technically a state employee. Is that why they set it up this way along with all the other universities?

I've given up worrying about what they do next as far as head coach. I'll just watch the games and take my lumps as they come. Good luck getting people to donate to an organization that is run so secretively. (Throws hands up in the air, like he just don't care)/rant

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

47 minutes ago, Blackice12 said:

Firing coaches don’t always yield the results people are expecting.  For example Kansas.  Since firing Mark Mangino, Kansas went on to win only 16 games in 9 seasons   Similarly Texas Tech since firing Mike Leach has only had 4 winning seasons in the last 9 years.

Where the hell were you 9 years ago?  :)  You could have helped Juju and Dougie.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

Mangino and Leach were both decent coaches who had winning records yearly, but managed to max out the potential of relatively limited schools. Strong had a good record the first year and a half, but the further we've gotten from the Taggart era the worse the team  has looked. His last truly good win was the Georgia Tech game last year and that remains the only team with a winning record he's beaten. 

I'm going to give Woolard some credit here-he made a good hire with Taggart even as he screwed everything else up. Harlan stuck his flag by Strong and ignored the red flags. I don't think Michael Kelly is beholden to Strong as a coach, but his hands may be tied. I read somewhere that Strong's buyout is $7.8 million, which is worse than anything Woolard could have done if true. That would absolutely kill the program. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Mangino and Leach were both decent coaches who had winning records yearly, but managed to max out the potential of relatively limited schools. Strong had a good record the first year and a half, but the further we've gotten from the Taggart era the worse the team  has looked. His last truly good win was the Georgia Tech game last year and that remains the only team with a winning record he's beaten. 

I'm going to give Woolard some credit here-he made a good hire with Taggart even as he screwed everything else up. Harlan stuck his flag by Strong and ignored the red flags. I don't think Michael Kelly is beholden to Strong as a coach, but his hands may be tied. I read somewhere that Strong's buyout is $7.8 million, which is worse than anything Woolard could have done if true. That would absolutely kill the program. 

If that's true he's definitely not going anywhere. That's absolutely brutal 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,340
  • Days Won:  0

The difference is that Mangino and Leach weren't fired for performance reasons. 

Please god let that buyout not be true.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,267
  • Days Won:  10

6 hours ago, Blackice12 said:

Changing the mentality of a team, install a new offense and defense takes time.  There is no magic pixie dust.   Also there is no "lot" of money ready to be dished out to continually fire and hire head coaches. Chances are the next head coach will come with a higher sticker price than the last and we will still need to pay the former.

USF does not have the money via the alumni base nor the conference media contract when compared to the two Big 12 schools that I mentioned.  But if money is there..  how about you put a some money to the indoor practice facility.  Chances are the next head coach will be advocating for that as well.  But if the money is not there...  how about you continue to cheer on these young men who are playing for their pleasure and for our entertainment.

Go Buls

Well said.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Yeah we should have stuck with Orlando Antigua......Gregory has been a terrible replacement

• Haha 2