• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A word of caution with firing head coaches

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

You realize Taggart was 6-1 during the regular season and had a top 5 offense when Herbert played in a game,right?

their only loss was a 2 point loss against a ranked ASU team.

He was hurt for 5 games where they went 1-4 with 3 losses against ranked teams.

It's amazing that people attribute Taggart's career to luck.

Agree completely. I don’t get all the negativity towards a former coach that brought us back to the Top 25 and who left us in a much better place than where he started. 

Time will tell if xCWT indeed reaches the plateau (many have tried and only a select few have succeeded), but in my book, he was just the right shot in the arm our program needed, and we’d be lucky to have another coach with a similar trajectory.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, NovaBull said:

Agree completely. I don’t get all the negativity towards a former coach that brought us back to the Top 25 and who left us in a much better place than where he started. 

Time will tell if xCWT indeed reaches the plateau (many have tried and only a select few have succeeded), but in my book, he was just the right shot in the arm our program needed, and we’d be lucky to have another coach with a similar trajectory.

couldn't agree more.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Other one...Fulmer and Tennessee. Geez what a good program that's now mediocre. 

They are not even mediocre.  They were the laughing stock this past week after losing to Georgia freaking State in their own house!

See, we are not the only fan base mired in misery at the moment.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Who are these imaginary people that hate CWT or think he did a horrible job here? 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

2 hours ago, usf97 said:

That is just his public record contract.We have already been told there is more to that story. They signed a 2nd deal through the USF foundation to avoid the Sunshine State Laws. 

If you believe the boys over at TDS, they state that the majority of his base salary is guaranteed. Maybe 80%, 90% or possibly even 100%. 100% would be $7.8 million. 

If true, then CCS is likely here at least this and next season. Possibly all 3 seasons (It took us 5 years to pay out Skippy's $2.5 million buyout). Thanks Harlan. 

52 minute mark. 

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/9/5/20850493/the-bulluminati-podcast-the-take-two-edition-usf-football-georgia-tech-wisconson-charlie-strong-aac

I almost wonder if this would qualify for malfeasance on the part of Harlan. Are there any fully guaranteed coaching contracts in college football? This is insane. 

I'm not sure USF can afford the reputation damage of having Strong beyond this season-that UCF game in 17 has broken the entire landscape of football in Florida in a bad way for USF. I know for a fact he tried to leave this off season and no one was willing to take him. MK might have to find a way to force him out. He's got high character, I know that, but I would fully expect him to hold USF to agreed upon terms. Then again, he would have to drop all the way to FCS to even have a decent shot at a head coaching job. No one in the G5 will take him as a head coach and certainly not in the P5. 

While this is a smaller amount, Cincy bit the bullet, paid off Tubberville's $2.4M buyout, and now they're filling the stadium with ease and they're doing very well. A new head coach would certainly spike some excitement about the program especially if the players really are in shape, whether it's Bell or someone else. 

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

I almost wonder if this would qualify for malfeasance on the part of Harlan. Are there any fully guaranteed coaching contracts in college football? This is insane. 

I'm not sure USF can afford the reputation damage of having Strong beyond this season-that UCF game in 17 has broken the entire landscape of football in Florida in a bad way for USF. I know for a fact he tried to leave this off season and no one was willing to take him. MK might have to find a way to force him out. He's got high character, I know that, but I would fully expect him to hold USF to agreed upon terms. Then again, he would have to drop all the way to FCS to even have a decent shot at a head coaching job. No one in the G5 will take him as a head coach and certainly not in the P5. 

While this is a smaller amount, Cincy bit the bullet, paid off Tubberville's $2.4M buyout, and now they're filling the stadium with ease and they're doing very well. A new head coach would certainly spike some excitement about the program especially if the players really are in shape, whether it's Bell or someone else. 

How do you know that?

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, BiggTipp said:

How do you know that?

Insider information from a publisher on one of the USF recruiting sites who also covered another school that had a vacancy. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

If his entire contract is nearly guaranteed that would actually explain a lot. Think of AD Kelly's options at that point. 

It also would explain the 2 year contract for Kerwin Bell.

I believe CCS has this season and next to get things turned around. If things don't improve in that time, I would expect they would buy CCS out of the 3rd year. They just wouldn't renew Bell and Kelly would start from scratch with his own people. 

Edited by usf97

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, usf97 said:

If his entire contract is nearly guaranteed that would actually explain a lot. Think of AD Kelly's options at that point. 

It also would explain the 2 year contract for Kerwin Bell.

I believe CCS has this season and next to get things turned around. If things don't improve in that time, I would expect they would buy CCS out of the 3rd year. They just wouldn't renew Bell and Kelly would start from scratch with his own people. 

You really think he will get another year after this, if this year turns out to be a disaster?

I don't!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

10 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

You really think he will get another year after this, if this year turns out to be a disaster?

Math dictates yes. After this season ($2.5 million) CCS is owed $2.6 million for 2020 and $2.7 million for 2021.

If that money is fully or nearly fully guaranteed...then you have to ask yourself....how bad would this season have to be for Kelly to pull the trigger on that kind of payout? Plus you would have to pay another staff a similar payout. 

If we were to go 2-10, I don't see him being fired if he has that kind of buyout. The same situation is happening right now at Illinois and Tulsa.