• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

A word of caution with firing head coaches

Guest Jonesy Bull
11 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Math dictates yes. After this season ($2.5 million) CCS is owed $2.6 million for 2020 and $2.7 million for 2021.

If that money is fully or nearly fully guaranteed...then you have to ask yourself....how bad would this season have to be for Kelly to pull the trigger on that kind of payout? Plus you would have to pay another staff a similar payout. 

If we were to go 2-10, I don't see him being fired if he has that kind of buyout. The same situation is happening right now at Illinois and Tulsa. 

You would have to decide which is worse, the buyout or losing the remaining fans that you have and the donations that come with it.

If we are 2-10, I find it hard to believe that CCS would survive.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, Bull94 said:

You realize Taggart was 6-1 during the regular season and had a top 5 offense when Herbert played in a game,right?

their only loss was a 2 point loss against a ranked ASU team.

He was hurt for 5 games where they went 1-4 with 3 losses against ranked teams.

It's amazing that people attribute Taggart's career to luck.

Willie has to hold Q’s beer for the rest of his life...

• Upvote 1
  • ???? 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Days Won:  7

32 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Math dictates yes. After this season ($2.5 million) CCS is owed $2.6 million for 2020 and $2.7 million for 2021.

If that money is fully or nearly fully guaranteed...then you have to ask yourself....how bad would this season have to be for Kelly to pull the trigger on that kind of payout? Plus you would have to pay another staff a similar payout. 

If we were to go 2-10, I don't see him being fired if he has that kind of buyout. The same situation is happening right now at Illinois and Tulsa. 

I'm going to politely disagree. Had we made a better hire at coach, we likely would have had a much better finish to last season, which would have helped build the ticket base coming into this year and with another good year I think RJS would have started averaging high 30s attendance. Right now season tickets are paid for and it will likely take a really good coach to generate excitement around the program next year, someone on the level of Scott Frost or a Broyles award winner. I'll go regardless, but I get that most of our fan base has been burned far too many times to really trust the team. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  120

When Leavitt got fired-- did he get the full value of his contract? Not to open a can of worms or anything but....

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  0

People like to get upset about USF (and other schools) that "hide" the coaches salary from public view by using a foundation to pay the coach.  Well would you like your salary public?  If so please post it.   That way everyone can rip you to shreds for your perceived worth.

Do you think the school is doing it to be secretive?  Maybe it is something that many coaches request in their contract to keep prying eyes from their personal lives.  This is no different than lottery winners trying to remain anonymous.  If some crook/scammer/evil person knew exactly how much cash the coach was getting, it is entirely possible that people like that would kidnap his kids, wife or family member for ransom since they know he is loaded.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, MikeG said:

When Leavitt got fired-- did he get the full value of his contract? Not to open a can of worms or anything but....

http://www.usforacle.com/2010/03/16/leavitt-files-suit-against-usf/

From what I recall. It was complicated because USF claimed they fired Leavitt for cause. It doesn’t seem his contract was fully guaranteed but Woulard and CO Screwed that whole thing up which I think opened USF up to the lawsuit and they went after his entire contract. The whole “investigation” seemed rigged. Thus the eventual settlement. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

11 hours ago, hightechbull said:

People like to get upset about USF (and other schools) that "hide" the coaches salary from public view by using a foundation to pay the coach.  Well would you like your salary public?  If so please post it.   That way everyone can rip you to shreds for your perceived worth.

Do you think the school is doing it to be secretive?  Maybe it is something that many coaches request in their contract to keep prying eyes from their personal lives.  This is no different than lottery winners trying to remain anonymous.  If some crook/scammer/evil person knew exactly how much cash the coach was getting, it is entirely possible that people like that would kidnap his kids, wife or family member for ransom since they know he is loaded.

This is hilarious.  Coaches at major universities are public figures.  If you can't deal with it don't coach at a major university.  Also, athletics departments use the foundation approach to insulate themselves legally and nothing more.   It's how UCF got off paying chump change for killing Plancher.   Add in the immunity from sunshine state laws when it's a foundation and it gives them lots of legal cover if they need it.  Nobody is afraid of kids being kidnapped this is university councils trying to insulate the athletics program from risk.   

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

20 hours ago, hightechbull said:

Animated GIF

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is hilarious.  Coaches at major universities are public figures.  If you can't deal with it don't coach at a major university.  Also, athletics departments use the foundation approach to insulate themselves legally and nothing more.   It's how UCF got off paying chump change for killing Plancher.   Add in the immunity from sunshine state laws when it's a foundation and it gives them lots of legal cover if they need it.  Nobody is afraid of kids being kidnapped this is university councils trying to insulate the athletics program from risk.   

I have always worked in the private sector.  Discussing salaries is the fastest ways to get called down to HR where they give you a cardboard box and tell you to clean out your desk.

I really do not care about this since it does not cost me any money.  He is  most likely getting paid his market value.  If he continues to under perform, then he will lose his job.  

This is all busy body chatter from message boards.  Ask the average fan at any of the games, and most will not care that much about the coach's salary.  They just want wins, and if we lose, they want an effort from the team.  The meltdown against Wisconsin was zero effort, and you cannot put all the blame on the players.  The coaches, including the head coach, are responsible for that disaster game that was broadcast on national TV.  Coaches should pay for poor performance, and since we cannot put them in the stockade and let fans throw rotten tomatoes at them, which would be fun and a good motivator for lazy coaches, the only recourse is the university firing these coaches.

UCF got off with paying chump change with Plancher because the FL legislature conspired with UCF to limit damages.  They put their thumb on the scales of justice, and the brain dead idiots of Florida elected the same crooks back into office.  It had nothing to do with a private foundation.  That family should have had the right to sue the pants off UCF, but the crooks in Tallahassee passed laws that limited the damages that a public institution would pay out.

Not to get political, but the current US president is a public figure, and he has not released his tax returns when that is a standard that all other presidents are measured on.  Based on your statement, if he cannot deal with releasing his tax returns, then he should not be the president of the US.  

No one wants their salary made public unless they are filthy rich and want to brag about it.  Why do you care so much?  Jealous?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,672
  • Days Won:  8

Just chiming  I’m here:

The #bullstrong / #baymade episode one did endear me a little more to Charlie Strong. He appears to have high ethical standards, which fortunately USF has displayed since I graduated. I do believe moral behavioral standards and ethics do trump winning, and Strong seems aligned with that and will maintain a scandal free program. I don’t want, for example, what is witnessed in Tallahassee ever coming to Tampa or USF where local police show favorable bias to FSU players and coaches let players run wild and misbehave. 

I’ll give Strong a longer leash than some others here. Offensive staff turnover, but defense looks improved. I know Strong is a bit hands off and gives a lot of control to the coordinators, I think that is actually a good thing compared to micro managing so long as he demands excellence, Saban seems to coach in a similar way but with a much lower tolerance for mistakes.