• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong has got to go!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

If it means delaying the IPF than we should keep strong and break ground on it.  Its probably the biggest thing right now and CCS and MK probably know that.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, JTrue said:

Here's the thing... our athletic department has to have a real "coming to Jesus" meeting at the end of this season if we make a bowl. If we're going all in, fire CCS and make a splash hire. I'm ok with that. But if we make a safe hire or grab another retread after CCS, what was the point? Not saying it's an exact comparison, but I remember a few years back when Minnesota fired Glen Mason after he strung together something like 7 straight winning seasons. It was bonkers because he was the only winning coach in about 50 years at the school. They made a big time move canning him and saying they want better without any real effort to back it up in the Big Ten by hiring Tim Brewster as his replacement. Either you're realistically happy with making a bowl every year (not saying we are and certainly our fan base would **** over admitting that) and spending a little money on the program or you're all in. **** or get off the pot.

So we make a bowl game with a Freshman quarterback and our athletic department still needs a "coming to Jesus" moment?  I don't see it that way at all.  Strong was able to bring in McCloud who had p5 offers, and now he's putting him behind the wheel.  The kid has a successful first start so if we do end up making a bowl game with him, where in the world would firing the coach get us?  I get that last year wasn't great, and the year before Flowers was handcuffed and we didn't win a conference championship, but it's not like the path to that was easy.  We shouldn't be in a rebuilding year but the reality is that very few saw Barnett struggling THIS badly, and the changes were made before our first conference game (with an FCS team and a bye week to prepare with now on top of that).  I still think we need to see how the season plays out.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
14 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Absolutely not...they are very good this year. We need to play much better to win. Looking forward to watching them against TCU in Saturday 

We don't know that they are a "much better" team yet,  they have played only really bad teams.

Regardless, they certainly are a step up in competition than SCSU, and we will need to play well to win.  It will be interesting to watch them against TCU. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,401
  • Days Won:  25

58 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

So we make a bowl game with a Freshman quarterback and our athletic department still needs a "coming to Jesus" moment?  I don't see it that way at all.  Strong was able to bring in McCloud who had p5 offers, and now he's putting him behind the wheel.  The kid has a successful first start so if we do end up making a bowl game with him, where in the world would firing the coach get us?  I get that last year wasn't great, and the year before Flowers was handcuffed and we didn't win a conference championship, but it's not like the path to that was easy.  We shouldn't be in a rebuilding year but the reality is that very few saw Barnett struggling THIS badly, and the changes were made before our first conference game (with an FCS team and a bye week to prepare with now on top of that).  I still think we need to see how the season plays out.  

The positive side of me thinks this is the game that STrong turn the ship in the right direction. He rode Lamar Jackson and Bridgewater to a successful run at Louisville. I hope  McCloud starts the turnaround of our program. HE looked good, but we played an inferior opponent. IF we beat SMU and be plays well it will be huge. IF we beat BYU that will turn around this program under Strong. I still have doubts, but we played with excitement for the first time this season. McCloud could be our next great QB, we just need to let him play and get experience. There is  a lot of uncertainty with CCS development and game planning.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Agreed, we need to see where we are after 6 or 7 games, to really make any solid judgements.  Yes last year was bad, but this year is this year, and it still needs to play out a few more games imo.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

All we need is the defense to force 8 turnovers and for the team to play FCS teams every week and we should be just fine

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

The positive side of me thinks this is the game that STrong turn the ship in the right direction. He rode Lamar Jackson and Bridgewater to a successful run at Louisville. I hope  McCloud starts the turnaround of our program. HE looked good, but we played an inferior opponent. IF we beat SMU and be plays well it will be huge. IF we beat BYU that will turn around this program under Strong. I still have doubts, but we played with excitement for the first time this season. McCloud could be our next great QB, we just need to let him play and get experience. There is  a lot of uncertainty with CCS development and game planning.

Jackson didn't get to UL until well after CCS left.  He was a Freshman in 2015......

Edited by Bull Dozer

Guest Jonesy Bull
Just now, puc86 said:

All we need is the defense to force 8 turnovers and for the team to play FCS teams every week and we should be just fine

Hey, we could get our Championship trophy that everybody wants, at the FCS level.....you may be on to something!

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Hey, we could get our Championship trophy that everybody wants, at the FCS level.....you may be on to something!

So exciting!!! Who cares about qualitative when you can quantitative. I hope everyone enjoys their lunches at Golden Corral.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is the sad reality CCS may have a blank check for this season.   I dunno if Bell would come here if he only had one season to get his offense going.  I'm hoping McCloud can spark the team for a successful next 3/4 of a season because I really don't think we have that kind of cash laying around.  

If we see some offensive improvement I think Strong and Bell return. 

Defense has taken a step in the right direction.

Time to see how the offense pans out with McCloud as he gets more reps in game. 

With a weak Oline the offense will struggle, but I think the coaches and players will figure out what they can and can’t execute successfully. Once they ID what works and stick with it, we may see better production on the offense. 

Step 1 was getting a QB in there that that can take what the defense gives him. McCloud may need some accuracy improvement but he is making better and faster decisions than Barnett, and his increased mobility really helps.

Edited by Gismo