• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dynamic USF Offense Excited about Progress in Bell's System

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

'Dynamic' USF Offense Excited About Progress in Bell's System

'DYNAMIC' USF OFFENSE EXCITED ABOUT PROGRESS IN BELL'S SYSTEM

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 5, 2019 – Just four days into fall camp, the Bulls are brimming with enthusiasm when it comes to the potential of new coordinator Kerwin Bell's offense.

33087"I cannot express the word 'excitement' enough for this upcoming season just because of the options that we have," said senior starting quarterback Blake Barnett (Corona, Calif.). "The offense is extremely dynamic. We have great playmakers. The plays that we have to get the playmakers the ball are really going to make a difference this year."

USF got a taste of what Bell is bringing to the table in the spring, when the former Division II national champion head coach first introduced the Bulls to an offense that utilizes a pro-style passing game with spread concepts. Using Bell's blueprint, Valdosta State led Division II in scoring offense (52.0 ppg) and won it all last season.

"We plan on scoring a lot of points," said senior tight end Mitchell Wilcox, a Mackey Award candidate. "I think Coach Bell is going to put us in a position to do that."

Bell said the position the Bulls are currently in is pretty solid because of their ability to take the teaching of the spring and turn their knowledge level of his offense up more notches this summer.

"Man, they've handled it so much better than they did in the spring, naturally. It's the second time around," said Bell after practice Monday. "Going through the summer, they really worked on it on their own, coming out here and throwing and running the routes on their own. The first and second groups really have great knowledge."

Among those groups are plenty of talented returners for Bell to utilize in his system that's been described as "fun" by any Bull you talk to at skill positions.

"The sky is the limit for the offense, a lot of new stuff. Guys are very much into," said senior back Jordan Cronkrite (Miami), who posted the ninth 1,000-yard rushing season in USF history last fall. "They're excited every day to see what they're going to install next. I'm just excited to see what everybody is going to do."

33088Along with Cronkrite, USF also has elusive rusher from Miami in sophomore Johnny Ford, who ranked 12th nationally last season with 6.8 yards per carry and he's also being utilized at slot receiver. The list of numerous playmakers goes on. Randall St. Felix, another Miami native, set the USF season record with four 100-yard receiving games as a redshirt freshman last fall.

And don't forget about Wilcox (Tarpon Springs, Fla.) because the next level hasn't. After setting single-season program records for receptions (43) and receiving yards (540) by a tight end, the talented pass-catcher/blocker was ranked No. 4 among senior tight end prospects for the 2020 NFL Draft by NFL.com Senior Analyst Gil Brandt. 

33090"We've got to find a way in our system to incorporate him to make sure that he's important and he's getting the chance to catch some balls for us," Bell said.

Wilcox has been getting a solid amount of targets so far in fall camp, but he's more than happy to be sharing the wealth with several others on the roster like impressive slot receiver Eddie McDoom (Winter Garden, Fla.).

"There's so many guys that we can look to, to make a play," Wilcox said. "We're struggling to find rotations because there's so many guys that can affect the game and go in and make a great play."

Established Barnett Bringing It in Fall Camp
Much bigger and more acclimated to USF, Blake Barnett is making the Bulls' offense really go in fall camp now that he's had months to actually prepare with the Bulls.

"I like the way Blake is playing right now," offensive coordinator Kerwin Bell said. "He's really playing at a lot higher level than when we left spring. I'm very pleased with that."

33091When he wasn't studying Bell's system, Barnett made sure he was sharp for camp by training with numerous QB gurus in the summer and using Pat Moorer's offseason training program to bulk up to 225 pounds.

"This is my first camp I've gone into where I'm the starter," Barnett said. "I've tried to stay persistent in competing every rep and making sure I can do the best that I can to help this offense."

This time last year, Barnett was just getting started with the Bulls after transferring to USF from Arizona State in summer 2018. The former five-star prospect won the starting job in fall camp and went on to throw for nearly 3,000 yards despite battling injuries.

A year of USF experience certainly has made a difference for Barnett, who feels "more accepted" by his teammates.

"I know them better," he said. "I know how they play on the field. I know how they react when they're upset."

More

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

This was a great read. Disappointed that Hopple is not in the starting rotation. Thought for sure he would be the left tackle at 6’7 not Billy.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

I sure hope we get Wilcox involved more and he has a great season.  Always looking for examples to show kids to stay that senior year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

After a quick read I believe I read the words "post route" somewhere in there.  

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

It’s all going to come down to the OL. If they can even be average, we will score a lot of points 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

I'll be happy if our QB can just have as good of a passer rating as his coach did in the NFL.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

Hands down this is the LONGEST off-season EVER!!!! Definitely the most intrigue we have ever had coming into a new season.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

Can we just fast-forward through the next few weeks?  I have my season tickets ordered, car flags by the door and game gear ready.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

"Man, they've handled it so much better than they did in the spring, naturally. It's the second time around," said Bell after practice Monday. "Going through the summer, they really worked on it on their own, coming out here and throwing and running the routes on their own. The first and second groups really have great knowledge."

Bell concluded with the following quote that was missing from the article, "Did I mention that the players were out here on their own? I wasn't here with them, they were definitely alone." 

This is the NCAA world that we live in. Coaches are afraid to give quotes to the media. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

22 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Can we just fast-forward through the next few weeks?  I have my season tickets ordered, car flags by the door and game gear ready.

No I am old...there will be no speeding up time...