• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football Spring Game in game discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

17 minutes ago, Calibull said:

i’ve seen both the scrimmage in the spring game now and I have a pretty good read of thinking with this team is about.  The offense has gotten better from last Saturday to today... it’s the real deal.  I feel like they’re going to rip some records.... Barnett is he entrenched starter, he’ll have a huge season. The WR corps is deep and talented, some guys who are really good didn’t get a real chance to show out but you can see they’re a talented bunch... not a lot of dropped passes at all and that’s something that has plagued us for years.  The running game will be really good... Bells offense is the real deal and teams will have all kinds of problems defending it.

Defense will be good... the starters are very good but I look for Burnett to start at corner... he’s picking up the system fast.  In terms of size... they’ll be bigger than last season.  Pickney and Kegler are both near 300 pounds and so are the other DTs... Livingstone is big and at 6’4 275 he is the perfect size for a DE... Reaves is up yo 255-260...

The LB corps has good size... I read someones post that said the D will be undersized again and I’m wondering what they’re looking at. Perhaps the baggy practice jerseys or comparing them to our Oline, which is bigger also, or something... but that assessment is off.  It will actually be one of our larger defenses at USF... as we have always been a bit small across our defense. But time has a funny way of making people forget.

There will be some shuffling on defense so the actual week 1 starters will differ by 2 or  3 guys.  I think this is one of the better teams we’ve had coming out of spring and I think this squad has a legitimate chance to compete for a conference championship... I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they win one this season.  

Steel sharpens steel... The defense will benefit dramatically from a good offense.  I think this team will beat Tech and Wisconsin... 

sorry about the typos I’m using my phone 

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

It's day and night on the size. Battle is 224. I don't think we miss much Barnett gets hurt. 

I like our chances in a shootout.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

I didn't get to watch the game but is the offensive line a concern to anyone who did?  I remember Barnett getting beat up too much last year, and I worry that's the only major prob left on that side of the ball.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

I didn't get to watch the game but is the offensive line a concern to anyone who did?  I remember Barnett getting beat up too much last year, and I worry that's the only major prob left on that side of the ball.

Hard to say...our defense has a long way to go, so anything the offense did today comes with an asterisk. I only stayed for the first half, but I didn't come away from what I saw thinking the line stood out.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

Hard to say...our defense has a long way to go, so anything the offense did today comes with an asterisk. I only stayed for the first half, but I didn't come away from what I saw thinking the line stood out.

Id say it’s hard to say because the defense was handcuffed because of the rules of the spring game if I were going to say it’s hard to tell...  but they can run block and the starting line looked solid.  They’ll be much better than last season where a big part of the problem was youth and offensive predicability.  Last seasons performance got worse as the season went on.  This group just looks better coached, more experienced, bigger, and more aggressive.   

2 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

in my opinion no, it’s not as big of a concern. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

Longing for the days...

USFLinebackers.jpg.7bd3037f3476878445b0581e851e3758.jpg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

Who pancaked and who got pancaked on that play.?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Barnett’s wind up concerns me. I saw no less than 5 batted balls. Those are going to be tips going the other way. Mccloud and Battle have shorter and quicker releases.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,517
  • Days Won:  422

5 hours ago, JTrue said:

Hard to say...our defense has a long way to go, so anything the offense did today comes with an asterisk.

The defense had 13 "sacks", and 7 more tfl's for a total loss of 142 yards, and 3 picks. The offense only scored the opening td on the first string defense .... so I agree anything the offense did today comes with an asterisk because it was apparently done mostly against back-ups.

Although to be honest, I think anything the offense or defense does in Spring games comes with asterisks. I think what mostly comes from today's scrimmage is that this offense is definitely a different animal than last year and the back up qb's look tons better than the ones CWT left us.

• Upvote 1