• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football Spring Game in game discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

15 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I think we have a better chance of beating Tech this year than we did last year.  I don't know how to feel about the Wisconsin game yet and I don't mean that in a negative way but I do know that our offense will give us a much better chance to win games if it's anything like we just witnessed for spring.  Nothing about the offense looked boring or complacent like it has the past two seasons. 

Defense looks a bit more energetic.  My biggest fear is that we go back to the Taggart years of explosive offense with very little defense.  That's not what I'm seeing, but if we can avoid that then we're going to be dangerous.  

I don’t disagree...  I not saying we’ll win, but I like our chances against Wisconsin in Tampa...

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

45 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

Me, too. I'd sure hate to go back to 8 - 10 win seasons.

And all those 8-10 win seasons with zero conference championships and 1 mediocre bowl win. I appreciate what was accomplished under Taggart but our defense wasn’t the best. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

Guest Jonesy Bull

I haven't seen this much enthusiastic talk about our football team on this board in "many a moons".  Is the world starting to tilt on its axis?

Seriously, definitely excited to see the improvements on both sides of the ball - especially the offense.  I do think that better days are ahead for us.....but one word of caution - lets temper the expectations just a bit after one Spring Scrimmage.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

And all those 8-10 win seasons with zero conference championships and 1 mediocre bowl win. I appreciate what was accomplished under Taggart but our defense wasn’t the best. 

Taggart's defense was horrendous with Bresnahan and whoever followed Tom Allen. Allen's year though was fantastic. If only we were able to combine his 2015 defense with Taggart's 2016 offense.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

Taggart's defense was horrendous with Bresnahan and whoever followed Tom Allen. Allen's year though was fantastic. If only we were able to combine his 2015 defense with Taggart's 2016 offense.

Agreed 100%. Allen was freaking awesome. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, TheUpperHand said:

Me, too. I'd sure hate to go back to 8 - 10 win seasons.

He only had 2 seasons with 8 or more wins.  It's not a large enough sample size to day whether he could have maintained that or not, especially after Flowers left.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

He only had 2 seasons with 8 or more wins.  It's not a large enough sample size to day whether he could have maintained that or not, especially after Flowers left.

The same can be said about any coach, or anything for that matter. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Taggart was trending up at the end of his tenure here, Strong is trending down. A Spring scrimmage and coach speak doesn't change that.

Sure, Flowers was a big part of Willie's success, just like Strong likely has Teddy Bridgewater to thank for his HC career. My only point was that the poster said his fear was going back to the days of explosive offense and no defense. Last year we had neither of those things. At least I had a lot more fun to watch than dropping six straight, including four blow-outs, and a home-loss in the Toilet Bowl to Marshall.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, OnTheBus said:

That would be Raymond Woodie. They tried to save $$$ with that promotion, and it might have cost us a conference championship.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

34 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

The same can be said about any coach, or anything for that matter. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Taggart was trending up at the end of his tenure here, Strong is trending down. A Spring scrimmage and coach speak doesn't change that.

Sure, Flowers was a big part of Willie's success, just like Strong likely has Teddy Bridgewater to thank for his HC career. My only point was that the poster said his fear was going back to the days of explosive offense and no defense. Last year we had neither of those things. At least I had a lot more fun to watch than dropping six straight, including four blow-outs, and a home-loss in the Toilet Bowl to Marshall.

I’m gonna have to disagree. Past performance is very indicative of future results. In fact, it’s probably the best indicator available. Coaches who’ve been good in the past are much more likely to be good in the future. Same for players. I’d be willing to bet against Chris Cosh becoming good at his job based on past results. Also, I’m confident Mike Trout will have a good season this year.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,517
  • Days Won:  28

38 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

Every coach that is successful has had a good QB. To credit a coach's success 2 a single QB on a team of 75 players is dumb. Does that means Spurrier owes his success 2 Danny Wuerful? What coach has ever had success with bad players? So I guess Scott Frosts should give all the credit to Milton? whats funny is that i only hear this "credit a coach's success to a QB" when it comes to Taggart and Strong.