• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How CCS just built a team to beat Wis., GT and UCF

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

9 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

Losing to Houston was indescribable, and the loss to UCF was equally avoidable (though I credit the staff for calling a decent game here).

Equally avoidable ............. sure.

9 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

My implication refers to the fact that a coach's third year is often looked at as more reflective of his ability to recruit and coach players up. Yes, it IS his third year, thank you Grammar Police. Football players have up to 5 (or rarely 6) years of eligibility... Taggart left the cupboard full and CHS clearly could not and did not take advantage of that to its fullest extent, or our record the last two years would have been better. CHS has only his third recruiting class (two of them among the worst in over a decade, mind you); the cupboard still contains players from prior to his arrival, though by now the majority will be his. Do not split hairs with me. The straw man argument will not be appreciated here. 

Not sure I could technically qualify that as a straw man argument but if you think Taggart left the cupboard full for years beyond the first, especially at the most important position on the team, you're clearly not looking at this rationally ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

So CCS had one 10-2 year and one 7-5 year. Last year wasn't a great year. Teams have bad years, those things happen. But it's up to a team to use a bad season as motivation and a learning experience. Last year's team was simply last year's team. Many of those players have graduated, transferred or got kicked off the team. HALF of those coaches are gone as well including Gilbert in which we all hated. Last year's team no longer exist. I'm only looking ahead and I see nothing but success. I'm also going to stop trying to tell people how they should feel about this team. If anybody wants to be the glass half empty type then go ahead, but my glass is half full...of brandy 😎

Preach!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

College football is all about the LINES....those with senior proven leadership succeed, we did not have last year, we do this year......seniors succeed in college football....experience succeeds in college football.....consistency in coaching  succeeds in college football.....we have the opportunity this year

Btw UCF lost alot on both lines.....watch the drop off

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

11 hours ago, gullibull said:

I'm just waiting for wiscon to walk off the field wondering what the hell just happened after K-bells offense attacks them from angles they have never seen .

Or they can watch film from Valdosta State.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

23 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

So CCS had one 10-2 year and one 7-5 year. Last year wasn't a great year. Teams have bad years, those things happen. But it's up to a team to use a bad season as motivation and a learning experience. Last year's team was simply last year's team. Many of those players have graduated, transferred or got kicked off the team. HALF of those coaches are gone as well including Gilbert in which we all hated. Last year's team no longer exist. I'm only looking ahead and I see nothing but success. I'm also going to stop trying to tell people how they should feel about this team. If anybody wants to be the glass half empty type then go ahead, but my glass is half full...of brandy 😎

Forget the word cupboard. The point is, CCS didn't have to start from scratch when he arrived; he had a team which could have easily gone undefeated had he utilized the talent appropriately in 2017. Much like Skip Holtz, he tried to apply a square peg (his offensive scheme) to a round hole (our players' collective talents) and he wasn't remotely as successful in doing so until letting the reins off Quinton Flowers a bit towards the back half of the season. Flowers succeeded in spite of that, but everyone watching could tell the team's success and potential were being held back due to the faults of its coaching staff. I accept your argument that not enough solid/ready starters were waiting in the wings for after the 2017 season. However, while a dip in production may have been expected, that dip was far deeper and more extensive than it should have been had player development and recruiting adequately mitigated expected and forseeable deficiencies (which a professional coaching staff would be expected to engage in and be measured by).

I am not sorry to say I will not wave off last year's miserable collapse as "teams have bad years" and "those things happen." The coaching staff VERY clearly failed with a vast array of tasks ranging from player development to playcalling. It has been obvious since this staff took the helm and has yet to change significantly from our public standpoint, until we see the results of efforts put in since a miserable ending to last season which is frankly inexcusable.

Edited by FazaUSF
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

The point is, CCS didn't have to start from scratch when he arrived; he had a team which could have easily gone undefeated had he utilized the talent appropriately in 2017.

Where was the talent underutilized in the UCF game?

And I'm offering no excuses for 2018. There's no way we should have lost 6 games in a row. There was definitely a disconnect there that I hope has been rectified for this year. I'm just tired of people trying to lump 2017 in with 2018. That season boiled down to one game and to try and dump all blame the coaching staff for that loss is a joke.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, FazaUSF said:

Forget the word cupboard. The point is, CCS didn't have to start from scratch when he arrived; he had a team which could have easily gone undefeated had he utilized the talent appropriately in 2017. Much like Skip Holtz, he tried to apply a square peg (his offensive scheme) to a round hole (our players' collective talents) and he wasn't remotely as successful in doing so until letting the reins off Quinton Flowers a bit towards the back half of the season. Flowers succeeded in spite of that, but everyone watching could tell the team's success and potential were being held back due to the faults of its coaching staff. I accept your argument that not enough solid/ready starters were waiting in the wings for after the 2017 season. However, while a dip in production may have been expected, that dip was far deeper and more extensive than it should have been had player development and recruiting adequately mitigated expected and forseeable deficiencies (which a professional coaching staff would be expected to engage in and be measured by).

I am not sorry to say I will not wave off last year's miserable collapse as "teams have bad years" and "those things happen." The coaching staff VERY clearly failed with a vast array of tasks ranging from player development to playcalling. It has been obvious since this staff took the helm and has yet to change significantly from our public standpoint, until we see the results of efforts put in since a miserable ending to last season which is frankly inexcusable.

In 2017 We lost 2 games by LESS than a touchdown. Houston was a lucky play. The other teams did not spank us or beat us bad, they barely beat us. One of the teams that beat us (UCF) ended up going undefeated the rest of the season, beating #8 Auburn and was undefeated the following year. In the end, we won 10 games for only the SECOND time ever for USF. technically CCS has coached the 2nd best season ever for USF. The main offensive play caller that under achieved (Gilbert) is no longer here. And the coaching staff that VERY clearly failed is no longer here. We replaced FOUR out of 10 coaches with even BETTER coaches. I get your frustration my friend, but its time to move on. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

48 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

In 2017 We lost 2 games by LESS than a touchdown. Houston was a lucky play. The other teams did not spank us or beat us bad, they barely beat us. One of the teams that beat us (UCF) ended up going undefeated the rest of the season, beating #8 Auburn and was undefeated the following year. In the end, we won 10 games for only the SECOND time ever for USF. technically CCS has coached the 2nd best season ever for USF. The main offensive play caller that under achieved (Gilbert) is no longer here. And the coaching staff that VERY clearly failed is no longer here. We replaced FOUR out of 10 coaches with even BETTER coaches. I get your frustration my friend, but its time to move on. 

Further, there is zero evidence that slick Willie would have won either game...that's right I said it....

• Haha 1