• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How CCS just built a team to beat Wis., GT and UCF

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

4 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Considering Taggart left a handful of quality starters for Strong's first year and subsequent year was really low talent wise across the board. 

Are we following the same team? Strong's first year returned the key components to one of the best offenses in America, which was promptly misused, misunderstood, and led to the fanbase to plead with CHS to "Let Him Cook." Had he avoided tweaking the offense and simply shored up the defense, an undefeated season was clearly within reach. Losing to Houston was indescribable, and the loss to UCF was equally avoidable (though I credit the staff for calling a decent game here).

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

This is a little confusing. What season are you talking about? This season IS, not supposed to be, Charlie's 3rd year ...... but then you're talking about taking "Taggart's very full cupboard" and there's no way that can be referencing THIS year.

My implication refers to the fact that a coach's third year is often looked at as more reflective of his ability to recruit and coach players up. Yes, it IS his third year, thank you Grammar Police. Football players have up to 5 (or rarely 6) years of eligibility... Taggart left the cupboard full and CHS clearly could not and did not take advantage of that to its fullest extent, or our record the last two years would have been better. CHS has only his third recruiting class (two of them among the worst in over a decade, mind you); the cupboard still contains players from prior to his arrival, though by now the majority will be his. Do not split hairs with me. The straw man argument will not be appreciated here. 

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Faza - hang in there buddy.  Do you need a hug?  The world is not coming to an end yet i promise you.

Yes the last 6 games were bitterly dissappointing.  But that doesnt mean it will carry over to next year.....all things point to an improved team this year.  And if the worse happens and the bottom falls out - AD Kelly will find the right guy to take us forward.

I appreciate you mate, but what I really need is a football program that appears to reflect the upward trajectory of the university which sponsors it. That would do me a world of good. The rest of Athletics absolutely is in great shape. I agree with you; I do believe Kelly was a smashing hire, and hopefully he will direct the most successful coaching search USF can ask for.

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

I appreciate you mate, but what I really need is a football program that appears to reflect the upward trajectory of the university which sponsors it. That would do me a world of good. The rest of Athletics absolutely is in great shape. I agree with you; I do believe Kelly was a smashing hire, and hopefully he will direct the most successful coaching search USF can ask for.

Im not ready to give up on CCS yet.  Lets see how he and his new coaching hire do this year before passing final judgement.....we might just be surprised.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  472
  • Days Won:  0

I'm just waiting for wiscon to walk off the field wondering what the hell just happened after K-bells offense attacks them from angles they have never seen .

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

7 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

This ↑ 

For me, I need to see a change in CCS. This is the same CCS that allowed his chosen coaching staff to let an entire football team go soft. The same CCS that would stand on the sideline and act like he didn't care one way or the other what was happening. His interviews, for me, sound exactly like they did last spring.

Yes, he changed some coaches. I think that if he will stay the hell out of CKB's way the offense will be much better. Problem is that the offense can't make tackles and the powder puff defense CCS allowed last year won't slow anyone down.

I need to see a change in Charlie Strong.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,517
  • Days Won:  28

8 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

My implication refers to the fact that a coach's third year is often looked at as more reflective of his ability to recruit and coach players up. Yes, it IS his third year, thank you Grammar Police. Football players have up to 5 (or rarely 6) years of eligibility... Taggart left the cupboard full and CHS clearly could not and did not take advantage of that to its fullest extent, or our record the last two years would have been better. CHS has only his third recruiting class (two of them among the worst in over a decade, mind you); the cupboard still contains players from prior to his arrival, though by now the majority will be his. Do not split hairs with me. The straw man argument will not be appreciated here. 

Let’s put this  “Taggart left the cupboard full” myth to rest once and for all. Taggart did NOT leave the cupboard full. A majority of his 2015 class have graduated or left the team. His 2016 class only had 16 or 17 recruits and only 4 of them is still on the team. Of those four, Beside Michael Wiggs, the other 3  haven’t played much. That's why our team lacked any leadership, b/c most of the would be juniors and seniors don't exist.  CCS may not have the high recruiting rankings so far, but he and his coaching staff have a great eye for talent. CCS’s 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes shall lead this team to the promise land. If feel his 2020 class will be his highest ranked class.

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Let’s put this  “Taggart left the cupboard full” myth to rest once and for all. Taggart did NOT leave the cupboard full. A majority of his 2015 class have graduated or left the team. His 2016 class only had 16 or 17 recruits and only 4 of them is still on the team. Of those four, Beside Michael Wiggs, the other 3  haven’t played much.  CCS may not have the high recruiting rankings so far, but he and his coaching staff have a great eye for talent. CCS’s 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes shall lead this team to the promise land. If feel his 2020 class will be his highest ranked class.

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

Since you're focusing on my comment asserting that Taggart left the cupboard full, why don't you analyze how many players of his were available for CCS to use in his first year? How many starters in 2017 were not recruited by CCS? That would be the general accepted meaning of how well-stocked an outgoing coach leaves a football roster for the incoming coach. It was certainly better off than how CCS found post-Kragthorpe Louisville. 

Trip pointed to a comment I made about the cupboard; I wrote that CCS failed to capitalize on the excellent talent he was left with. That refers most heavily to 2017, less heavily to 2018, and least heavily to 2019 in direct proportion to the players left on the team from before CCS. By third year, most coaches are considered to have had adequate time for their system and recruits to start bearing fruit and generating success reflective of said current coaching staff, which is less dependent on how well-stocked a prior coaching staff left a team. The discussion kinda went off into the weeds with the cupboard. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,517
  • Days Won:  28

13 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Since you're focusing on my comment asserting that Taggart left the cupboard full, why don't you analyze how many players of his were available for CCS to use in his first year? How many starters in 2017 were not recruited by CCS? That would be the general accepted meaning of how well-stocked an outgoing coach leaves a football roster for the incoming coach. It was certainly better off than how CCS found post-Kragthorpe Louisville. 

Trip pointed to a comment I made about the cupboard; I wrote that CCS failed to capitalize on the excellent talent he was left with. That refers most heavily to 2017, less heavily to 2018, and least heavily to 2019 in direct proportion to the players left on the team from before CCS. By third year, most coaches are considered to have had adequate time for their system and recruits to start bearing fruit and generating success reflective of said current coaching staff, which is less dependent on how well-stocked a prior coaching staff left a team. The discussion kinda went off into the weeds with the cupboard. 

In 2017 CCS went 10-2 with that Talent. Then the talent that he used to make a 10-2 team graduated, many of whom went to the NFL. The remaining players from Taggart's last 2 classes either left the team or many simply underachieved . Once again this mythical full cupboard does not exist. The 2017 recruiting class is what CCS was able to salvage the few recruits Taggart got and then got his own players for that class.  I think he did a great job. This team is simply young b/c Taggart's 2015 and 2016 classes are no longer here. I'm also good with his 2018 and 2019 class. I think he will knock the 2020 recruiting class out of the park. 

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

many simply underachieved .

And this is CCS's job. In 2018 MOST simply underachieved. That's the problem I have, and I assume that's what Faza is saying.