• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our Scheduling Philosophy is a Bad Look

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

45 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Ancient history!

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

What good is playing them if we can't beat em? I miss the days when USF was a giant-killer. When the team could be counted on to get up for any game and had a legit chance to beat anyone on the field, accolades be damned. Leavitt put incalculable hours into watching tape and the team fed off his attitude. Now, I look at future schedules and get excited for a second, only to have that excitenent give way to wondering whether we should realistically be playing teams with a $30 million annual advantage and whose coaching staffs routinely outmaneuver the ones on our sidelines. I wish there was a light at the end of the new tunnel. 

• Upvote 2
  • Crying 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

What good is playing them if we can't beat em? I miss the days when USF was a giant-killer. When the team could be counted on to get up for any game and had a legit chance to beat anyone on the field, accolades be damned. Leavitt put incalculable hours into watching tape and the team fed off his attitude. Now, I look at future schedules and get excited for a second, only to have that excitenent give way to wondering whether we should realistically be playing teams with a $30 million annual advantage and whose coaching staffs routinely outmaneuver the ones on our sidelines. I wish there was a light at the end of the new tunnel. 

There is.  Faza, you have been on here long enough to take the long view.  Don't get caught up with all the negativity and bile that these "fans" are spewing.  Over the years, I have admired your undying love for USF.  I hate to see the Debbie Downers on here affect that great attitude.  We are going to again have the excitement and fame that some on here need in order to lead a complete life.  Maybe not now, maybe not soon.  But true fans are in it for the duration.  Those who need immediate satisfaction in order to feel complete will never be happy either in fandom or in life.

I don't have a problem with people criticizing our play.  Even to holding people to standards on coaching and playing.  I occasionally do the same.  But the ridicule, bile, and personal insults to our own people are not the hallmark of a mature fanbase.  Maybe it is the hippy in me, but I don't have time for the negative personal insults, especially when the posters have not had the cajones to insult the person to their face.

Keep the faith, man.  The Ws are not all that counts.  Having fun and treating people well while putting on a good buzz and enjoying our team is much more fun.  :hippy2:

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

The only part of our scheduling philosophy I feel is a bad look is the inexplicable scheduling of 8 AAC teams every season, that seems like 8 too many.

• Upvote 2
  • Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Speaking of schedules, why does the AAC wait so long to announce schedules?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

Speaking of schedules, why does the AAC wait so long to announce schedules?

Because they always assume someone is going to leave every season, since the entire conference has been posturing to leave since the conference was created.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

Nice post Faza. I think at the end of the day one has to alter their perspective a bit when it comes to the current state of USF football. We, as a program, went through a consequencial shift that left us at a peg or two lower than before. Because of that many on this board live in the past (especially repeating that 07 game vs WVU over and over) as they compare what once was to what is today. It simply is not a fair comparison.  There not only has been a shift to our program but there has been a shift all through college football. I believr thst these changes cannot and will not be reversed. Thus, I believe, one has to look at USF football from a micro level (or the alternative is to be depressed by comparing today with the past). Take USF football game to game. Enjoy each week when we play not only big programs but the smaller ones too. Keep your eye on the small pictures. Embrace the fact we are actually playing in a bowl game. Does, all of this mean a lower of standards? Maybe a little bit I think it is more of a different way of looking at things. 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

13 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Nice post Faza. I think at the end of the day one has to alter their perspective a bit when it comes to the current state of USF football. We, as a program, went through a consequencial shift that left us at a peg or two lower than before. Because of that many on this board live in the past (especially repeating that 07 game vs WVU over and over) as they compare what once was to what is today. It simply is not a fair comparison.  There not only has been a shift to our program but there has been a shift all through college football. I believr thst these changes cannot and will not be reversed. Thus, I believe, one has to look at USF football from a micro level (or the alternative is to be depressed by comparing today with the past). Take USF football game to game. Enjoy each week when we play not only big programs but the smaller ones too. Keep your eye on the small pictures. Embrace the fact we are actually playing in a bowl game. Does, all of this mean a lower of standards? Maybe a little bit I think it is more of a different way of looking at things. 

In my opinion, the only legitimate reason to bring up the 07 West Virginia game would be to show doubters how USF football can draw a large crowd when it is perceived to be in the big time. In any other situation, it does seem to be a bore.   I would argue that the 06 victory at West Virginia was a bigger upset, btw. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Nobody cares about money for OOC games but season ticket sales for that one season should be one of the best years of late.