• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong is not getting fired

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

If CCS is staying, I could see sticking with coordinators through at least the early signing period. Those guys have developed relationships with guys they are hoping to sign. Go ahead and get the commitments, then make the changes. They will still be playing for CCS, so, it's not completely disingenuous.

FWIW, I actually don't mind BJM staying. Not sure he's a great DC, but, with all of the 3-and-outs along with replacing 4 key contributors from last year's defense, I think he can get a pass... offensive side of the ball is where my issues are unless the plan is to have an elite defense. I'm not sure we can get to that point again though. The game today is all about offense. Rules won't really allow for elite defenses to win games like they used to.

It would be interesting to see someone go back to some of our BIG program wins and try to see where our defense would be flagged under today's rules and try to estimate how that could change the game. I don't have time, but, it would be an interesting topic.

Edited by Orlando Bull

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

18 minutes ago, Justin C said:

I thought for sure that we would see a coordinator shake-up today. The more time that goes by, the more I'm thinking there will be no changes...

That sinking feeling. I share it.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Get rid of Gilbert/Mattox/Williams/Burke, drop Strong's salary next year to 1.5-1.8 million, and that's how Strong stays. 

I would be happy with this...especially the salary. It makes no sense to pay a guy 2.5 mil in this league and finish in 8th place...that cannot happen.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

there is also an issue with determining his buyout. So until the lawyers settle some things we stand pat.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

there is also an issue with determining his buyout. So until the lawyers settle some things we stand pat.

If he's dismissed, USF owes him only his base salary over a 20-week period. If he gets another job before then, the school's obligation is mitigated based on whether Strong's new salary is higher (USF's payments end) or lower (USF pays the difference between the salaries).

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

If CCS is staying, I could see sticking with coordinators through at least the early signing period. Those guys have developed relationships with guys they are hoping to sign. Go ahead and get the commitments, then make the changes. They will still be playing for CCS, so, it's not completely disingenuous.

FWIW, I actually don't mind BJM staying. Not sure he's a great DC, but, with all of the 3-and-outs along with replacing 4 key contributors from last year's defense, I think he can get a pass... offensive side of the ball is where my issues are unless the plan is to have an elite defense. I'm not sure we can get to that point again though. The game today is all about offense. Rules won't really allow for elite defenses to win games like they used to.

Yeah that could be what is going on...I agree I dont mind giving BJM a pass at times I saw the defense show some flashes with the youngsters...defense will be better with another year of strength/conditioning on the defensive line.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Ugh this waiting stinks. Either fire him or announce that he is staying-put. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

37 minutes ago, crambone said:

Ugh this waiting stinks. Either fire him or announce that he is staying-put. 

Yep the lack of communication from the athletics department is frustrating. I have no idea how Gilbert hasn’t been fired yet. USF is too conservative in their decision making. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Maybe CCS is being considered for a job and USF isn’t rushing anything so the recruiting class stays together and no payout?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756

Hopefully they are allowing them to look for something else before the ax comes down. But some type of press release would be nice. Even if it’s just Mike and Strong will sit down Thursday or something