• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I would like to propose a "No UCF" movement

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  149

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I'll just add, as a Gator fan as well. I enjoy the rivalry with FSU and Miami. It's fun.  I don't take it that serious to not want a rival to exist period. I also don't think anybody really post about UCF on this board. When I go to UCF's  boards, they ALWAYS have a USF post up.  I think we actually do well with not posting about them. 

You bring up a great point.... and this is not just addressed to you but the entire thread more or less....

A long time ago, I believe UF tried to avoid letting FSU become a rival - and it became such a big deal that there was legislation passed forcing them to play or something like that. Eventually it blossomed into what it is today.

Similarly, Back before we ever had played UCF-- they had some state representative get involved to make the game happen. Before that got too far though-- Lee Roy Selmon made a deal with their AD to have 4 home and home games. We weren't very happy about it but the results were 4-0 USF and it seemed possible that we had squashed that whole rivalry thing in its tracks.

I believe UF used to beat FSU like a drum early on as well-- but eventually-- with time-- something has to give eventually. That series has turned out ok for them in the long run, and important especially in the 1990s. The again-- UF has never had a problem finding rivals. USF on the other hand-- not so much.

As much as I bought in to the whole "they aren't our rivals" point of view during the CJL days, it is hard to not see the obvious reasons why this is our current main rival. The schools are so similar in so many aspects and so closely placed that it seems unnatural for a rivalry not to exist. Like two HS teams in the same town-- that is the team you want to beat.

This by no means is some support for anything UCF--  I can't stand that school or their fans, to be blunt -- but at some point we have to recognize that this is the team we most enjoy beating and dread losing to.

But to think we can pretend that they are "just another conference team" is almost comical. Yeah-- we need to have our team focus on the next game in front of them all the time. But FANS do not play the game and should feel free to talk/write/think about whatever team they want to whenever it pleases them.

As for comparing this to MSU and UM-- you are talking about teams that have been around forever versus two wet behind the ears programs. WE have such a short amount of history to work with-- THAT is why we don't have many other choices for who is our rival. UF, FSU, and UM are not about to be in that class for decades at the earliest. So we take what we have and keep plugging along.

Edited by MikeG

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,363
  • Days Won:  25

Rivalries are fun. They got the better of us last year but we are going to get them this year!

At least we didnt have this occur today.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/florida-news/ucf-football-player-charged-with-sexual-battery-to-a-physically-helpless-person

I am going to go have a movement, I mean a UCF.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I'll just add, as a Gator fan as well. I enjoy the rivalry with FSU and Miami. It's fun.  I don't take it that serious to not want a rival to exist period. I also don't think anybody really post about UCF on this board. When I go to UCF's  boards, they ALWAYS have a USF post up.  I think we actually do well with not posting about them. 

Think I just posted earlier today on another thread about how often we talk about UCF and whether or not their success is good/bad for USF.  Come home to another new thread about it.  

Pretty sure we talk about them plenty.

Oh yeah, here it is https://www.thebullspen.com/topic/129565-is-it-better-or-worse-for-usf-if-fau-upsets-ucf/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-1648401

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  149

by the way-- the jokes about UCF movement as a bowel movement remind of something we did on a road trip up to Penn State back in 2005. We referred to that as going to take a Joe Pa. Good times!

@T-Man @BullDoug

image.png.2f89b577ae434f4707856c2adb6280cb.png

image.png.a1a6b6a9cd162e639b3c09992a88bb7f.png

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

18 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Think I just posted earlier today on another thread about how often we talk about UCF and whether or not their success is good/bad for USF.  Come home to another new thread about it.  

Pretty sure we talk about them plenty.

Oh yeah, here it is https://www.thebullspen.com/topic/129565-is-it-better-or-worse-for-usf-if-fau-upsets-ucf/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-1648401

It's the only thread talking about them on at least the first 3 index pages of this forum and it'also deals with college football's new media darling in FAU and their potential as a G5 contender at the end of the year. I agree with Gatorbull that we really don't do all that much talking about them here.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

I actually appreciate their hatred and unified animosity towards us (if it in fact exists as you folks say it does) At least it shows passion.

The more time I spend on this board, the more OUR “fan base” annoys me.

At least UCF fans have a lively, raucous game day OCS experience. I bet UCF doesn’t have a 15 page thread about sitting or standing in their stadium during games (with a majority of them stating that being loud has no impact on home field advantage and people should not waste time or energy being raucous because it has absolutely no impact on the game).

To me the UCF rivalry is real. Like it or not, its going to prove to be the best rivalry both of our schools will likely ever have. Why not embrace it? They have accomplished more than us in football. Period. 

We are no longer a superior program (and maybe we never were).

I love USF. I love my alma mater. I love our colors. I love our logo. I love our uniforms. I love the Bay Area. I hate Orlando. I take pleasure in NOT liking UCF. 

I swear, I don’t understand a majority of you people. What motivates you? I actually have a hard time believing that many people on this board are actually sports fans or have ever accomplished anything in a competitive environment in their lives. It’s bizarre to me.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

44 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

I swear, I don’t understand a majority of you people. What motivates you? I actually have a hard time believing that many people on this board are actually sports fans or have ever accomplished anything in a competitive environment in their lives. It’s bizarre to me.

You must be great at parties...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

10 hours ago, puc86 said:

Truer words have never been spoken. The we need them as a rivalry movement with in our fanbase was so beyond stupid and shortsighted, how has playing them benefited us in anyway? 

It put a lot of butts (actual) in red and pewter seats ($$$$$ in USF coffers).

It gave USF fans a taste of “a real college football game experience” at our OffCS.

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

You must be great at parties...

Huh??