• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Run Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

18 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

It is definitely not as good as I thought we would be.  Defensive line talent has taken a step back but we have numbers we haven't had in awhile.    Surprisingly our offense has been the strength.  Still time to get through some growing pains though.

The end of that last game should help speed up the maturization process. I’d like to see a break out of the defensive stats for that game. Feel like we started and closed well,  but the middle was the messy part. We clean that up and we’ll be good

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I'm not that worried. I don't think we have an all star defense by any means, just average. I think Strong will have the defense performing well. 

Watching us against GT I felt like our defense was slower than past years, but I don't know if that is real or an illusion from the funky leg blocks off the line by GT. The GT QBs were also pretty fast. 

I don't recall complaining about missed tackles, we forced some fumbles, forced an interception with some pressure. I think the fundamentals look solid and that will get us where we need to go. 

Were there any blown assignments? I don't remember any. GT was dominating the defense for a few series when they were running to the left and right of the lineman and turning up field, but it seems we made the adjustments needed, and had the conditioning, to stop their offense in the 4th quarter. 

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

38 minutes ago, michibull said:

My bad, thanks for the correction. 

No problemo

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Not worried as of yet...Elon just had a 3 drives that accounted for most of the yards and that was late in the game with some backups.

GT had like the 6th best rushing attack last year so yeah they are going to get yards on the ground.  

I expect the defense to look much better vs more traditional offense.  They wont be an elite defense that is for sure but they will be decent enough in this conference.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We have yet to contain an edge rush this season. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  472
  • Days Won:  0

Execution may improve but we are undersized in the middle and that won't change.....This will be a problem

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, gullibull said:

Execution may improve but we are undersized in the middle and that won't change.....This will be a problem

I dont think they were getting that many yards up the middle looked more like on the outside.  Again my view wasn't the greatest maybe others can chime in.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

We lack a true nose tackle and taller edge rushers but pinckney kegler and bronson aren't small by any stretch. Not for AAC anyways.  I think its gonna make our scheme pretty stagnant but at least we can try and perfect it and improve.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Well our run defense will be tested again against an Illinois run heavy offense. Bush is a running QB and leads their team in rush yards. They run much more than they throw the ball.  Let’s see if we can get it right in our first road trip. Go Bulls. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

We are playing a lot of True Freshmen . . . think they are doing well. Expect that we will have a solid Line by Game 6.

Go BULLS !!!