• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Run Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

I know it's way early to be too concerned but is anybody else worried about the run defense? Elon fell behind so they didn't run that much but they still averaged 3.9 yards per rush. GA Tech rushed for 412 yards and 7.2 yards per rush (Yikes!). The thing that saved us was five turnovers forced in the two games. But how long can we rely on that?

I guess the question is, will they settle down or will this be like 2015 (I think?) where we had to rely on Q and the offense to put up 30+ points a game? Also, I know GA Tech is a special case but I'm still a little worried.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Have you not read the dozens of posts from people worried about our run defense?

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Have you not read the dozens of posts from people worried about our run defense?

No.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

We have a very young defense, they're still learning. Plus, CCS is a defensive so he should have a good idea on strategy (he improved the defense the Taggart couldn't get to work). I'm not too worried unless we don't improve, but we have a few weeks to figure it out before Houston. ECU maybe challenging (not sure how good Arizona is after losing to BYU and ECU), but everyone else should be beatable if we play well. 

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, michibull said:

We have a very young defense, they're still learning. Plus, CCS is a defensive so he should have a good idea on strategy (he improved the defense the Taggart couldn't get to work). I'm not too worried unless we don't improve, but we have a few weeks to figure it out before Houston. ECU maybe challenging (not sure how good Arizona is after losing to BYU and ECU), but everyone else should be beatable if we play well. 

ECU played UNC

Houston played Arizona

Edited by ForestBull

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

15 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

I know it's way early to be too concerned but is anybody else worried about the run defense? Elon fell behind so they didn't run that much but they still averaged 3.9 yards per rush. GA Tech rushed for 412 yards and 7.2 yards per rush (Yikes!). The thing that saved us was five turnovers forced in the two games. But how long can we rely on that?

I guess the question is, will they settle down or will this be like 2015 (I think?) where we had to rely on Q and the offense to put up 30+ points a game? Also, I know GA Tech is a special case but I'm still a little worried.

The Elon yardage came against 3rd stringers, when their starter was out and they went to an option QB that the young guys weren't prepared for. After the first drive our starters only allowed 1 ypc. GT is a gimmick offense and we won't have anything like it again, assuming that Navy doesn't win the West. We will be able to settle in the next few weeks and see what this defense actually has to offer. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, ForestBull said:

ECU played UNC

Houston played Arizona

My bad, thanks for the correction. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

It is definitely not as good as I thought we would be.  Defensive line talent has taken a step back but we have numbers we haven't had in awhile.    Surprisingly our offense has been the strength.  Still time to get through some growing pains though.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

20 minutes ago, ForestBull said:

ECU played UNC

Houston played Arizona

You know those P5 schools are all the same

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28