• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Run Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Cough, 4th and 24, cough.

Touche, touche. That play still haunts me to this day. Easy interception and our two defenders take each other out of the play trying to catch it. UGGGHHHH

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, TheAccountant said:

Touche, touche. That play still haunts me to this day. Easy interception and our two defenders take each other out of the play trying to catch it. UGGGHHHH

Neither should have been trying to catch it.  It's 4th down!!  Knock it down!!

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Surprisingly most of the yards we gave up to tech were on the perimeter and not up the middle which is highly unusual for a smallish defense that is built on speed.  I'm going to chalk that up to the option attack and some of the younger guys "not getting it" when it comes to assignments.   As for Elon most of their yards on the ground came after we started to liberally sub out players on defense.   I Think this week will show us more of what we are as Illinois will more than likely try to bully us with a more power run game.  between the tackles.  I'm still nervous about replacing Hector, Sanchez, and Senat up the middle so playing well against a more traditional/non-option running attack would ease those concerns.    

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

This week will tell me more about the quality of our defense than the first two games.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This week will tell me more about the quality of our defense than the first two games.

That's what I'm thinking. With some injuries to their QB and WRs stopping the run will be huge. Hoping they come up big.

https://saturdaytradition.com/illinois-football/illinois-loses-second-wr-season-due-knee-injury/

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

I thought the defense looked better Saturday however.

A couple of thoughts. #One USF had two kick off returns for touchdowns taking away two offensive possessions and  based on how they were moving the ball about 5 to 7 minutes in time of possession time which would have reduced GT total yardage. 

#2.  Number 54 over ran several pitch plays (A problem he had in the first game ).Both resulting in touchdowns and missed a crucial tackle. Even though he was in the right place at the right time for the turnovers he remains my biggest concern for their defense.  He definitely has to  learn to use his hands better to shield off blockers .

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I don't think it will at all.  Georgia Tech is a better team on both sides of the ball than Illinois

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

20 hours ago, ToroDeFuego said:

I know it's way early to be too concerned but is anybody else worried about the run defense? Elon fell behind so they didn't run that much but they still averaged 3.9 yards per rush. GA Tech rushed for 412 yards and 7.2 yards per rush (Yikes!). The thing that saved us was five turnovers forced in the two games. But how long can we rely on that?

I guess the question is, will they settle down or will this be like 2015 (I think?) where we had to rely on Q and the offense to put up 30+ points a game? Also, I know GA Tech is a special case but I'm still a little worried.

Defense will be just fine.  Not worried at all

20 hours ago, michibull said:

We have a very young defense, they're still learning. Plus, CCS is a defensive so he should have a good idea on strategy (he improved the defense the Taggart couldn't get to work). I'm not too worried unless we don't improve, but we have a few weeks to figure it out before Houston. ECU maybe challenging (not sure how good Arizona is after losing to BYU and ECU), but everyone else should be beatable if we play well. 

ECU lost to a FCS team the week before they beat North Carolina... Also, everyone knows North Carolina is not a good team this year.  They weren't last season and that's not changing. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

58 minutes ago, Massbull said:

USF had two kick off returns for touchdowns taking away two offensive possessions and  based on how they were moving the ball about 5 to 7 minutes in time of possession time which would have reduced GT total yardage. 

That's a very good point.  Add that to the fact that our defense had to go right back out there, twice.

Edited by Apis Bull

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, ToroDeFuego said:

That's what I'm thinking. With some injuries to their QB and WRs stopping the run will be huge. Hoping they come up big.

https://saturdaytradition.com/illinois-football/illinois-loses-second-wr-season-due-knee-injury/

I was watching when the WR hurt his knee...nasty injury