• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Run Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Calibull said:

I don't think it will at all.  Georgia Tech is a better team on both sides of the ball than Illinois

I disagree. This week we will see how this defense performs against a traditional offense that is from a 1a program. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I disagree. This week we will see how this defense performs in a traditional offense that is from a 1a program. 

I watched both Illinois games this season, they are not good and their running game is not that great... at all. I mean unless you're counting the QB running by Barrett or Rivers, who is typically running for his life.  I'm basing it on having watched them play... how about you?

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

24 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I watched both Illinois games this season, they are not good and their running game is not that great... at all. I mean unless you're counting the QB running by Barrett or Rivers, who is typically running for his life.  I'm basing it on having watched them play... how about you?

Interesting, I also watched both games that Illinois played. I thought their running game was decent and the numbers from last week support it. For sure they will try and run the ball on us first which makes sense when our largest down lineman only weighs 285 lbs. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,554
  • Days Won:  28

I think our defense will be fine. I think the GT game is different b/c our offense scored pretty quick and didn't really give them a chance to rest. Those 2 kick returns for Tds were a blessing and a curse. I think the experience from these first two games will have the defense ready for the rest of the year. I don't think they will be "lights out" like I thought they would, but they will improve. I expect next year to be the "lights out" year for the D. We have a lot of young talent, that should naturally grow into the bigger , stronger 300 Ib DTs that we need. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

GA Tech was the worst match up possible for us outside of a I Formation style SEC/Wisconsin team. We played the triple option in a dime formation essentially. We will be much better against a team like Illinois who isn’t going to fool us and will be more man on man blocking schemes. Once we are able to get the offense going and get a lead, our DBs will take the game over 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Need to learn how to shed blocks and be more aggressive getting in the backfield, which we showed some flashes of

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Ahem. i think I was right to be worried. It wasn't just GT. Pitt handled them easily and Illinois is having their way. I guess I'll hope for turnovers.