• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The thrill is gone....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I stand corrected.  Programs did accomplish a lot under him but I feel like we stalled once the rumors started about the big east collapsing and I resent that we got stuck in the AAC under his tenure. Us and UCF both are programs that should be in bigger conferences, although I’m sure there’s more to blame than an athletic director.  I never once have said anything bad about the Skip Holtz hire. Everyone knows it looked good on paper at the time. It’s what he did after that was disasterous. 

So which school do you think a better AD would have beat out for P5 inclusion? Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, or TCU?

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,546
  • Days Won:  28

Try being a lifetime Saints fan. We invented the paperbag over the head, my nicknamed was the "aints" when i moved to miami they called me the "ain'ts". Teams suck and get better and sometimes repeats that cycle. True fans  love their team regardless. We have had more succes in these last 3 years than USF has ever had and things will only get better. If you want to cry about the past the go ahead. We have a much better strength of schedule these next 5 years, a great stable of talent/recruits and the sky is the limit. What is there 2 cry about? Try 2 look at life as a glass half full. I think this blog needs 2 make little USF violins. 

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

3 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I stand corrected.  Programs did accomplish a lot under him but I feel like we stalled once the rumors started about the big east collapsing and I resent that we got stuck in the AAC under his tenure. Us and UCF both are programs that should be in bigger conferences, although I’m sure there’s more to blame than an athletic director.  I never once have said anything bad about the Skip Holtz hire. Everyone knows it looked good on paper at the time. It’s what he did after that was disasterous. 

I think that's probably the biggest reason most have bad feeling towards him (outside thinking he totally shut down football by firing a coach) and I don't see how he shoulder any of the blame for us being where we are now.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, JTrue said:

So which school do you think a better AD would have beat out for P5 inclusion? Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, or TCU?

Rutgers, and I’m sure we would do just as well as those programs with the same money and access to better recruits. I don’t see any of them making it to the playoffs. Syracuse and Louisville have been good at basketball for quite awhile. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

1 minute ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Rutgers. 

If there was a candidate, that may be the only one ... but AAU status and location still give it the overwhelming nod, IMO.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If there was a candidate, that may be the only one ... but AAU status and location still give it the overwhelming nod, IMO.

I fully get AAU status but I don’t see New Jersey as an overwhelmingly better location than Florida.  Media wise maybe but it’s not like any of their programs are drawing significant numbers. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

13 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I fully get AAU status but I don’t see New Jersey as an overwhelmingly better location than Florida.  Media wise maybe but it’s not like any of their programs are drawing significant numbers. 

Maybe also saw the mistake the Big XII made by putting WVU on an island and didn't want to make same one ...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So, aside from having the highest academic distinction a school can have, a better media market, a football history we can’t touch, and being 1000 miles closer to the next nearest conference mate, we should be in the Big 10 over Rutgers?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Never met him and hardly hate him ..... and doubt I'm alone in that. He wasn't perfect ... will never forgive him for scheduling the mouthbreathers to open the new, improved Sun Dome, although I do kind of understand the logic it didn't work. The Skip extension was one of those mostly 20-20 hindsight mistakes. The majority of those that hate him are probably mistakenly blaming him for not getting us into a P5 and mistakenly believing that CJL was bigger than USF football ...

Maybe hate is a strong word but he is the only AD that we paid to leave and he certainly didn’t pop up in greener pastures. Some may not like Harlan for what seems like personal reasons but he at least was hired alway from us which would make it seem like he may have been seen as better to outsiders. And I completely disagree that Holtz extension was 20/20 hindsight, the contract was unnecessary, no one honestly thought he was being hired away, not many would have been too sad had he accidentally been hired away and Woolard was out maneuvered by a giant man baby that looks like a marshmallow because he is a dullard. Also it’s not a mistake to know that CJL was bigger than the program just look at what what he grew and the shambles it was turned into in his absence. Had Harlan not forced CWT to change his offense we would be talking about how that second horrible hire by Woolard had finally destroyed the program CJL had built with his bare hands😉

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

But they make up most of the money.  Yep, all those facilities that got built and Taggart was hired under his tenure.  Did nuthin'. I know, so was Skip and it was all his fault we didn't get into a better conference and, and, and.  We'll just need to agree to disagree.  It was under his watch that we became Iron Bulls. The way we were treated had something to do with that.

I appreciate your contributions and I am glad that he was able to get you to be Iron Bulls. He was a nice guy and he seemed to enjoy glad handing.