• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Student fee to possibly fund on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

This will go over well with the students who don't care about sports, let alone football :35_thinking:

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

18 minutes ago, Breedwell said:

This will go over well with the students who don't care about sports, let alone football :35_thinking:

Probably why it would go to a vote of the students. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Our athletic fees are in the lower third of public schools in the state.  Two of the schools lower than us, UF and FSU, receive huge revenue from tv deals in their P5 conference.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a student and I think Moneer would be the best SG president from past to present to make this happen. I just highly doubt SG senate would make this a priority in my experience with working for a student fee funded department. Student Government is  all about saving money and keeping the cost per student attendance to be low. They're going to see the ~$50 per every student enrolled and notice how not all of these students are attending making the cost per head even higher. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

Student fees shouldn’t be used for intercollegiate sports.    If a student wants to donate to an OCS, then they should do it individually through a pledge to the Bulls Club.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

This seems like a contentious issue. Hope the students make the right decision. 50-80 bucks might not seem like much to some but to others it might make a difference. Good luck sorting that out

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

So for those getting free rides is this USF moving money from one pocket to the other?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 hours ago, thatBULL said:

I want an OCS as much as anyone, but I always find it interesting when someone says “The fee would go away, but the stadium would stay.”  

Does anyone believe we would give up revenue that is basically accepted once the bonds are paid?  

We need to have a true fundraising effort for a stadium.  If that’s successful and students feel they want to pitch in (more than then large % they already do today) then maybe that’s ok.

That would be a pretty simple fix. Just tag the fee with an expiration date. If the university chose to keep it beyond the time allotted, they didn't actually need the students' approval in the first place.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Student fees shouldn’t be used for intercollegiate sports.    If a student wants to donate to an OCS, then they should do it individually through a pledge to the Bulls Club.  

Students have been funding intercollegiate sports in some capacity or another since at least 1905 (that's as far as my knowledge on the matter goes). There was an expose done on Yale football that year that focused on Walter Camp and an $8 student fee being assessed. The president of the university refused to investigate and Camp declined to comment on the matter, but a $100,000 slush fund was created and in 1914 the Yale Bowl was opened confirming the suspicion. 

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it isn't a new development.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

I imagine that student fees exist for all sorts of things that students wouldn't support, if given the choice.  That said, there should be clear ROI for this to be approved.

One of the benefits of being in a school with selective enrollment is that applicants will pay what they need to pay to go here.