• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

He has changed it up at times...hopefully he doesnt cost us a game beacuse we cant lose one if we want to win confernce.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

30 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

We are 11th in red zone TD percentage in the AAC.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/823/team/offense/split01/category27/sort05.html

We are 93rd in the country for red zone TD percentage.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category27/sort05.html

If you don't think settling for FGs is going to potentially cost us a game in the future then you haven't watched football for very long.

I've probably watched football for longer than you've been alive.  I played football for 10 years.  I've coached football.

Settling for FGs might cost us a game, but I don't think, if the game is close or in question that we would do the same thing.  Of course, you're going to point out the red zone issues in the first half of last week's game, but we were still ahead and it was only in the first half.  IMO, the second half would have been played a lot differently if not for the pick-6.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

43 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

it's hard to argue with the results. 

You would think that.  However, this is TBP.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

14 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

You would think that.  However, this is TBP.

True. 

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

I'm not sure if you realize this but Flowers is averaging 17 carries per game this year. that's up from 15 per game last year.

oh and he seems to run primarily between the tackles this year compared to running outside them a lot last year.

If anything he is more likely to get hurt this year unless of course you think running in wide open space as he did last year puts him at risk of pulling a hamstring

This is the scariest thing about the offense moving forward, both this season and next.

Before the season I anticipated a drop in carries for Quinton by about 5 a game. Both from a slightly more pro style spread, and from blowing teams out and not needing Q for at least 1/4 of every game.

I am worried what the miles will do for Q for the rest of this season, our schedule has been whack with the hurricanes so hopefully he won't be too worn down for the games that on paper will be more competitive.

I am also worried what it means for the O next season. Obviously it will be pretty hectic with basically new starters at all the skill positions, but I don't see Kean or Dunkin(TM) being the type of QB's who can lead the team in carries and the O be a success.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Capital H said:

This is the scariest thing about the offense moving forward, both this season and next.

Before the season I anticipated a drop in carries for Quinton by about 5 a game. Both from a slightly more pro style spread, and from blowing teams out and not needing Q for at least 1/4 of every game.

I am worried what the miles will do for Q for the rest of this season, our schedule has been whack with the hurricanes so hopefully he won't be too worn down for the games that on paper will be more competitive.

I am also worried what it means for the O next season. Obviously it will be pretty hectic with basically new starters at all the skill positions, but I don't see Kean or Dunkin(TM) being the type of QB's who can lead the team in carries and the O be a success.

He goes down as soon as he feels somebody next to him. It's not like he's trucking people every time he runs.

Next year is gonna be tough.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

45 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I've probably watched football for longer than you've been alive.  I played football for 10 years.  I've coached football.

Settling for FGs might cost us a game, but I don't think, if the game is close or in question that we would do the same thing.  Of course, you're going to point out the red zone issues in the first half of last week's game, but we were still ahead and it was only in the first half.  IMO, the second half would have been played a lot differently if not for the pick-6.

Very well put. Plain and simple, the coaches are game planning and play calling according to the opponent and situation. 

I would also imagine they would prepare somewhat differently for a better defense than they would for teams closer to the bottom in the country and based on where they see they need to change things up. 

So far the have not had to. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

11 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Very well put. Plain and simple, the coaches are game planning and play calling according to the opponent and situation. 

I would also imagine they would prepare somewhat differently for a better defense than they would for teams closer to the bottom in the country and based on where they see they need to change things up. 

So far the have not had to. 

let's hope that's the case. odd approach though. you would think he would want to work out the kinks against lesser opponents.

he seems to think it's an execution issue and if we are having trouble executing these plays against the #130 SOS it might be time to switch things up.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I don't think I have ever felt as if we could lose any game this season at any point. SJSU was a little rough but I figured Q would find his rhythmm and get the offense moving which he did. With that being said, I don't think I would opening up the offense if I felt in control early in the season. Our big games are back loaded on the schedule this year so settling for three and saving our aces in our sleeve seems like the best decision to me.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

The creativity is not there. When we rush to the line we are guaranteed to run between the guards. Everyone and their grandma knows this by now. Can we rush to the line and throw in a play action pass one time. Get a bubble screen once or twice. The bubble screen fake and throw over the top? This is a pee wee offense so far. 

That is exactly the point we want "teams to know we are guaranteed to run between the guards". That is what makes the play action and bubble screens effective when we run them later. The more we show that now the less other teams will respect the run and the less effective those other plays will be.