• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Attendance is an embarrassment

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

Where's the Vinik effect?

It was the Thundersticks ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,637
  • Days Won:  6

Totally on board with all this OCS talk.  When the bounce house opened I said we should duplicate that on campus asap for under $100m.  Build it with a very small club and no wide concourses to go hide in.  Everyone sits in their own allotted 20" of aluminum bleacher for 6 or 7 games a year.  ****, I was pissed off last night at the game. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Can't blame the company they are advertising to those who make up a greater market. 

Exactly.  Being ranked alone does not build a high value brand.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Just now, 79 Bull said:

Totally on board with all this OCS talk.  When the bounce house opened I said we should duplicate that on campus asap for under $100m.  Build it with a very small club and no wide concourses to go hide in.  Everyone sits in their own allotted 20" of aluminum bleacher for 6 or 7 games a year.  ****, I was pissed off last night at the game. 

Even if we built a 35K-40k OCS, I still think we'd have attendance issues. I disagree that an OCS stadium will solve this problem; a smaller stadium will only ensure that the problem doesn't look so bad on TV. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

3 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Not blaming them at all, it's just indicative of a greater problem--Tampa and USF don't connect. It's really an odd cultural thing. I've got no other way to describe it. 

Most people have no idea what post 2000s USF even looks like.  They don't know all the work that went into the campus or the educational rankings we have now. 

Games on campus would fix that :D

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, 79 Bull said:

Agreed.  Last night was shameful.  USF needs to do some serious soul searching.  If they want to compete at the highest levels of college football, then commit to it and build an OCS and build better relations with the community.  Like others have said, we don't need at 200M stadium.  One that seats 35k with decent amenities that can be added on to as demand grows.  If not, drop down to FCS and play at the rented RayJay in front of 12k fans and be done with it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I'm still in the side of schedule sucks donkey balls and nobody with a brain other than diehards want to watch USF play Temple on a Thursday night. Even on a Saturday at 7p, the crowd would still suck for that game. Until we get into a better conference where the games actually mean something on the national stage, USF will continue to have a crappy fan draw. At least in the Big East, USF could've been a player at the big table. Not so much now, and the casual fan knows that. There isn't incentive for lots of folks to come to these games. I've been to nearly every home game since the program started. I love USF football and even I don't really get excited anymore for these crap games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

32 minutes ago, cougar king said:

You guys can't use the AAC as an excuse when Houston, Memphis, ECU, Cincinnati and your friends in Orlando are putting 40,000 and more into their stadiums for AAC games. 

Don't mind you butting in here but if you're going to, please don't make up ****. Cincy is not drawing 40K plus .... and that should be telling in regards to the other programs you mentioned.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, deters- said:

I'm still in the side of schedule sucks donkey balls and nobody with a brain other than diehards want to watch USF play Temple on a Thursday night. Even on a Saturday at 7p, the crowd would still suck for that game. Until we get into a better conference where the games actually mean something on the national stage, USF will continue to have a crappy fan draw. At least in the Big East, USF could've been a player at the big table. Not so much now, and the casual fan knows that. There isn't incentive for lots of folks to come to these games. I've been to nearly every home game since the program started. I love USF football and even I don't really get excited anymore for these crap games.

Attendance problem goes deeper than schedule.  Look at FSU game last year.  Yeah there were over 50k in attendance but 25-30k were FSU fans.  I'm in section 112 and it was 60/40 FSU to USF in my section.

There is very little passion and pride for USF athletics.  When that changes, attendance will improve regardless of opponents.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

U guys ready for the answer??

It's Tampa.  All other factors (conf affiliation, ranked, no ocs, etc. does not matter.)  Look at our other sports teams in the bay area.  Same thing.  And the bay area has a lombardi trophy, stanley cup, and a world series.  

Tampa Bay is a vacation destination.  People who lives here or have lived here come and go.  Most have no attachment to the area therefore no attachment to the sports teams.

• Downvote 2