• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong Defense 3-3-5 & what defensive player do you think will step up.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, Ionbull said:

Wanna bet there will be package adjustments once spring practice starts? Don't forget, these coaches still don't really know the players they are adopting; these evals will occur in the spring and they will adjust their schemes according to the players they have on the roster. If CCS/CBJM think they can install a 3-3-5 then they will; if a 4-3 works better, so be it.  3-3-5 seriously sounds like the third LBer is the fringe position that will also be an edge rusher if needed.

37 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Strong will adjust the defense  to what he has. The two DT's are close to 280 and Im sure can gain 10-15 Ibs by the time the year starts. Im confident they can provide depth and keep our current starters fresh. They both also have power to go with that speed. But you shall see my friend. As for Kean, he isn't a bust and has looked good the few times he has played. Made Asianti woulard transfer and has solidified himself as the heir to the starting job. I think I underestimated Flowers more than over estimated Kean. Plus when Kean inherits the team, we should be fresh off a perfect season and have the strength of schedule to make the playoffs. 

Hope you're right, but I have seen nothing yet to give me any faith in this. All I've seen SO FAR is a stubborn old man pursuing his agenda. Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

11 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Hope you're right, but I have seen nothing yet to give me any faith in this. All I've seen SO FAR is a stubborn old man pursuing his agenda. Hope I'm wrong.

Strong has run the 3-4 and 4-3 AND developed his own version of the 3-3-5 specifically because of personnel and need. That seems like pretty fair evidence of someone doing exactly what you're saying you've never seen him do.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

How much of a hassle are they really? .... And you sometimes get gems like Kawika, Barnhardt, Tyrone McKenzie and Adams.

I know that we have had some good ones. But there are more misses than hits and the misses take up  scholarships . But someone has to be on the practice squad I suppose so I guess it is a wash .

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

Strong has run the 3-4 and 4-3 AND developed his own version of the 3-3-5 specifically because of personnel and need. That seems like pretty fair evidence of someone doing exactly what you're saying you've never seen him do.

Yeah I'm honestly not too worried; plus, HOW MUCH WORSE COULD IT GET. Like the defense was bad last year, really bad. If we had a mediocre defense we wouldn't have lost to Temple. I'll find it very hard to believe the CBJM will be worse than CRW.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

8 hours ago, Ionbull said:

Yeah I'm honestly not too worried; plus, HOW MUCH WORSE COULD IT GET. Like the defense was bad last year, really bad. If we had a mediocre defense we wouldn't have lost to Temple. I'll find it very hard to believe the CBJM will be worse than CRW.

Yeah, especially since all we really lose on defense is Harris, Godwin, and Awoloke. None of them is really going to break the D, since the people behind them were honestly just as good, if not better

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,523
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Yeah, especially since all we really lose on defense is Harris, Godwin, and Awoloke. None of them is really going to break the D, since the people behind them were honestly just as good, if not better

Im ready to finally see all this talent we recruited these past few years. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

20 hours ago, charsibb said:

What have you seen so far that suggests this? 

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

21 hours ago, charsibb said:

Uhh, what the hell? What coach do you know that does not bring their own "agenda" to a team? You don't even know if his "agenda" is good or bad yet.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

22 hours ago, charsibb said:

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Uhh, what the hell? What coach do you know that does not bring their own "agenda" to a team? You don't even know if his "agenda" is good or bad yet.

I, too, am confused. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but the only thing that may qualify as an "agenda" I've seen has been the cryptic, wadded panties inducing comment about slowing the offense some.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

http://www.thedailystampede.com/2017/2/17/14648016/charlie-strong-completes-coaching-staff-with-two-final-hires-sean-cronin-damon-cogdell-carol-city

...In his stint at the Thundering Herd’s defensive ends coach, Cronin guided a unit that racked up 127 sacks in four seasons at the helm...

30 sacks a year by the D-ends is pretty impressive. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: