• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong Defense 3-3-5 & what defensive player do you think will step up.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

814 yards in his one year with us. Good for 10th all-time in a season. Not exactly a bust. I'll take any transfer for one year that puts up a top-10 single season performance.

My bad I meant to say "yes" he was but emphasis on the one season...the good with the bad.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,522
  • Days Won:  28

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

This.  

Strong made his bones early in his career with the 4-3 under.  I'm hoping that's our base and maybe we mix in some 3-3-5 in obvious passing downs.  We could possibly transition to a 3-3-5 but we lack that true NT on the roster and you need at least 3 of them for depth purposes.  Once we get some of those type of kids in the program maybe we could look at transitioning to the 3-3-5 but right now I don't think it's that great of a fit.....

Mark my words, the 2 Freshman DTs (Kelvin boyZ) we have coming in will be ready. They definitely seem to have more speed than our current DTs. And hopefully Marlon Gonzalez lives up to the hype. I think he is close to 300 Ibs now. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

17 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Mark my words, the 2 Freshman DTs (Kelvin boyZ) we have coming in will be ready. They definitely seem to have more speed than our current DTs. And hopefully Marlon Gonzalez lives up to the hype. I think he is close to 300 Ibs now. 

Neither are near big enough to be a space eating NT at the college level straight out of HS.    Speed is not the issue for finding a NT for this system it's finding a player that can consistently be an immovable object against double teams and that has nothing to do with speed.  Neither of them project to be that kind of guy and it takes a certain kind of athlete to play that role and we currently lack that on the roster.   Also, weren't we supposed to Mark your words about how Kean was supposed to step up and be the man at QB a few years ago?  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

16 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Gonzalez is listed at 280. The other two are listed at 274 and 287. If you're pinning your 3-3-5 NT hopes on guys under 300 lbs (two of them freshman) getting a consistent enough double teams to make it work, it's going to be a long year.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Maybe Strong can lure a graduate transfer or three to step in at NT next season? Strap in for the off season, fellas!

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, zarnozdabull said:

Trolling?

Success at Big East Louisville isn't THAT much to brag about.

Seems folks sure like to brag about Leavitt's success... 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,559
  • Days Won:  423

On 2/8/2017 at 3:20 PM, zarnozdabull said:

Trolling?

Success at Big East Louisville isn't THAT much to brag about.

1 hour ago, beastiebull said:

Seems folks sure like to brag about Leavitt's success... 

What does Leavitt's success here have to do with CCS's success at L'ville?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Wanna bet there will be package adjustments once spring practice starts? Don't forget, these coaches still don't really know the players they are adopting; these evals will occur in the spring and they will adjust their schemes according to the players they have on the roster. If CCS/CBJM think they can install a 3-3-5 then they will; if a 4-3 works better, so be it.  3-3-5 seriously sounds like the third LBer is the fringe position that will also be an edge rusher if needed.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,522
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Neither are near big enough to be a space eating NT at the college level straight out of HS.    Speed is not the issue for finding a NT for this system it's finding a player that can consistently be an immovable object against double teams and that has nothing to do with speed.  Neither of them project to be that kind of guy and it takes a certain kind of athlete to play that role and we currently lack that on the roster.   Also, weren't we supposed to Mark your words about how Kean was supposed to step up and be the man at QB a few years ago?  

Strong will adjust the defense  to what he has. The two DT's are close to 280 and Im sure can gain 10-15 Ibs by the time the year starts. Im confident they can provide depth and keep our current starters fresh. They both also have power to go with that speed. But you shall see my friend. As for Kean, he isn't a bust and has looked good the few times he has played. Made Asianti woulard transfer and has solidified himself as the heir to the starting job. I think I underestimated Flowers more than over estimated Kean. Plus when Kean inherits the team, we should be fresh off a perfect season and have the strength of schedule to make the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

What does Leavitt's success here have to do with CCS's success at L'ville?

Because someday CCS will be our ex-coach, and we love bragging about ex-coaches?