• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

You clearly don't like him, but his issues at Texas had a lot to do with the players that were there when he got there and the non-support of the biggest boosters from the get-go.

Dude he had his best record at texas in his first year. sound like someone we know? Skip Holtz.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

I've read from multiple reporters that some Texas boosters were against Strong from the beginning and actively worked against him going as far as telling high school coaches not to send kids to him.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, Bull94 said:

Dude he had his best record at texas in his first year. sound like someone we know? Skip Holtz.

I know there's no way to change your mind, so I won't try.  Just try reading a little more about the ****-storm he inherited.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

46 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

That would suck. I thought of it as Taggart reassuring him about USF but that's a good point.

Taggart is taking Judson to Oregon. 

Be happy. 

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

25 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Strong is a complete 180 in coaching philosophies. He will be a disaster. We are built as a wide open offensive oriented team. He is a conservative defensive minded coach.

we need jeff scott from clemson. 9 years there. current coOC wide receivers coach who won recruiter on the year in ACC last year.

Remember when Orlando Antigua won recruiter of the year? Hows that going?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 minute ago, ToroDeFuego said:

I've read from multiple reporters that some Texas boosters were against Strong from the beginning and actively worked against him going as far as telling high school coaches not to send kids to him.

This is from one of the biggest boosters when he was hired:

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

And there in lies the problem. Our local media don't know their butts from a hole in the ground.

The local television media does a terrible job of covering our USF Bulls. My go-to's are the Daily Stampede, Tampa Bay Times, and the devil's tool--Twitter. Assuming it is Strong to USF, I think he'll do fine here. He worked wonders at post-Kragthorpe Louisville. 

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

they can over time maybe but he won't come in here with the same mind set that an offensive coach would. that was a big part of his downfall at texas.

Their offense was acutally pretty good this season.  They were #19 in total offense averaged 31.9ppg and 239ypg rushing 252ypg passing.  The bigger concern is that his defenses were atrocious the last couple seasons.   

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

I know there's no way to change your mind, so I won't try.  Just try reading a little more about the ****-storm he inherited.

he inherited a team that had one losing record in the past 16 years under the last coach. they had 3 top 25 recruiting classes in the 3 years before he arrived. one of those classes was ranked #2.

he had 3 losing seasons in 3 years.