• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

yeah only we would not have had the same offense.

WHY? Explain please? I mean, aside from Taggart's recruiting. You do realize that generally defensive coaches are pretty flexible on offense.

Leavitt ran a pro-style offense initially. Pass heavy with Blackwell, run heavy with Andre Hall, spread with Grothe and Daniels... The defense was a constant. Saban has done the same at Alabama. Shula was run-first in Miami until Dan Marino came along. Coaches ALL COACHES have to adjust to the talent on their team. Assuming that a defensive coach hates offense is ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The offer should only be good while he is the building.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Honestly I don't know why he would prefer that job. For the most part coaches go from coordinator at a P5 school to head coach at a G5 school, then head at P5. Look at Tom Herman for example, fantastic Ohio State offensive coordinator but had to go G5 first. Not many coaches are hired directly from a defensive coordinator to a head coach unless they are being promoted from within. Also Florida is a much better position for him recruiting wise.

3 minutes ago, mellobull said:

Strong in Tampa today, but there's

http://southflorida.247sports.com/Bolt/Strong-in-Tampa-today-but-theres-competition--49675513

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Bulls247 that former Texas Longhorn coach Charlie Strong will be in Tampa today to discuss the head coach position at USF.

Strong has been in talks with USF for the past 24 hours, but as of last night there had been no job offer. That could change today when Strong arrives in Tampa.

Strong is the clear number one target right now for the head coaching position at USF. But the Bulls have competition and it's coming from a familiar name. I can confirm that Willie Taggart has also been in contact with Charlie Strong about possibly becoming the defensive coordinator under Taggart at Oregon.

Even if Strong is offered the job today, I do not expect a decision to be made at the meeting. A source close to Strong tells me he's planning to take a day or two to decide. Of course, this all depends on if he's offered the job today while in Tampa.

If Strong is offered and does accept, I'd expect this all to wrap up by the end of the weekend.

Hey Willie, I have a 6 month old baby girl, do you want to take her to Oregon too? Maybe I can donate some vital organs to you as well, you are ripping out my heart, might as well take some of the other pieces.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, pretty gutless if Taggart were to leave and take our top new head coach target. 

I doubt that Strong would even go to Oregon play second fiddle when he can be a head coach at USF. Besides, the Oregon Ducks are exactly known for being a top flight defense.  

Edited by tau.reanb

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

WHY? Explain please? I mean, aside from Taggart's recruiting. You do realize that generally defensive coaches are pretty flexible on offense.

Leavitt ran a pro-style offense initially. Pass heavy with Blackwell, run heavy with Andre Hall, spread with Grothe and Daniels... The defense was a constant. Saban has done the same at Alabama. Shula was run-first in Miami until Dan Marino came along. Coaches ALL COACHES have to adjust to the talent on their team. Assuming that a defensive coach hates offense is ridiculous.

didn't say they hate. didn't even say they can't adjust. just said it's against their nature.

Saban once said that hurry up spread offenses should be illegal in college football. now he runs one.

Strong had 3 different offenses in 3 years at texas. we need someone with an offensive background to coach our team that is loaded with offensive talent.

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

didn't say they hate. didn't even say they can't adjust. just said it's against their nature.

Saban once said that hurry up spread offenses should be illegal in college football. now he runs one.

Strong had 3 different offenses in 3 years at texas. we need someone with an offensive background to coach our team that is loaded with offensive talent.

But you realize that offense was supposedly built by a guy that was hired to run a power-run offense right?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

This seems like agent speak to me.. Why would strong go be a D-coordinator at Oregon? He's a Florida recruiter that had trouble recruiting in Texas. Why would it be any easier to do it at Oregon? I think that this is all rangling by Strong's agent to get more money out of USF.

Edited by tampatony

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, Orlando Bull said:

But you realize that offense was supposedly built by a guy that was hired to run a power-run offense right?

what's your point? That was a total rebuild. this isn't