• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Strong had to fight not only a culture change at Texas but his boosters also. He was set to fail from the start.

This will be a easier job he just needs to shore up our defense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

This is from one of the biggest boosters when he was hired:

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

so what?? Okie State's biggest booster has been trying to get gundy out for years.

boosters don't coach games.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, CPR said:

I might get down voted, but Strong is an upgrade over Taggart.

Seems that way to me. The way I see it, Taggart finally got results, but he had to surround himself with copious amounts of consultants and assistants, that he feels very replaceable. This record setting offense doesn't seem like it is his. His defenses were mediocre to terrible. Offense should be turn key for anyone that comes in next year, and getting someone that can improve the defense, which Strong as a track record of doing, would be of utmost importance in the short-term. Add to that his track record of recruiting in the state and the fact that he comes at a discount, makes it seem like a home run. If he can retain some of the plethora of offensive assistants/consultants to keep this system going, I don't see how this can possibly be better.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BrowardBull17 said:

Remember when Orlando Antigua won recruiter of the year? Hows that going?

not sure what that means? does that mean no OC that has won recruiter of the year in a completely different sport can now not be successful? pretty dumb statement.

• Downvote 3

Just now, George Jenkins said:

Seems that way to me. The way I see it, Taggart finally got results, but he had to surround himself with copious amounts of consultants and assistants, that he feels very replaceable. This record setting offense doesn't seem like it is his. His defenses were mediocre to terrible. Offense should be turn key for anyone that comes in next year, and getting someone that can improve the defense, which Strong as a track record of doing, would be of utmost importance in the short-term. Add to that his track record of recruiting in the state and the fact that he comes at a discount, makes it seem like a home run. If he can retain some of the plethora of offensive assistants/consultants to keep this system going, I don't see how this can possibly be better.

Just my opinion.

Strong's defense at texas went from #25 first year to #106 his second and finally #95 this year

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

5 minutes ago, BrowardBull17 said:

Remember when Orlando Antigua won recruiter of the year? Hows that going?

Things are looking bleak in MBB, which is a different sports altogether, but I'm giving Antigua until the end of the season to pull the nose up on that squad. What's the alternative there? 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

he inherited a team that had one losing record in the past 16 years under the last coach. they had 3 top 25 recruiting classes in the 3 years before he arrived. one of those classes was ranked #2.

he had 3 losing seasons in 3 years.

Clearly you don't like him... you need to figure out your argument first... previously, he would break our offense, now that it has been pointed out that he had a top 20 offense this year, you are worried about his win/loss record.

Those recruiting classes...

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/3/9/11185576/tracking-all-the-texas-attrition-since-2014

Now, one could question WHY these guys left, I honestly don't know. The one we have access to clearly doesn't want to compete for playing time (Cherry) and needs to be put on a pedestal without working for it to be happy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Orlando Bull said:

Clearly you don't like him... you need to figure out your argument first... previously, he would break our offense, now that it has been pointed out that he had a top 20 offense this year, you are worried about his win/loss record.

Those recruiting classes...

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/3/9/11185576/tracking-all-the-texas-attrition-since-2014

Now, one could question WHY these guys left, I honestly don't know. The one we have access to clearly doesn't want to compete for playing time (Cherry) and needs to be put on a pedestal without working for it to be happy.

Cherry was  a Strong recruit from florida. not sure what your point is with him.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

His defense did struggle but didn't he have like 7 sophomore starters.  I'll have to look into that.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

Strong's defense at texas went from #25 first year to #106 his second and finally #95 this year

Not exactly stellar there, but I think that may also be a product of playing in the Big 12. I tried my hardest, but I couldn't find a single Big 12 team in the top 50 of total defense.