• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of a DC change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

2 minutes ago, Bullshiznitz said:

I'm torn on the whole CRW thing.  They lack of aggressiveness was very disappointing to see, but I also think there is a lack of talent on that side right now.  There's not one single stand out on defense. No Selvie, no JPP, no Barrington, no Kayvon Webster, no Angry Bird.   Auggie made a lot of tackles, but he's what I like to call a "down-hill" tackler (99% of his tackles seem to be after someone has gained 5+ yards and he tackles them with the runner moving downhill and gaining an extra yard or two). I mean I watched every game this year, and I'm not sure if I can name the starting DL with how infrequently their names were called in each game.  Someone on that defense needs to elevate their game.  Someone on that DL needs to become a force, a game disrupter.  I'm not sure who on the roster thats going to be, but prefer not to have to stress through 52-45 games next year because our defense can't stop anyone. 

Senat was our most consistent D-lineman. Love showed flashes, but Bronson was a disappointment this season. I hope we get some D-line help this offseason.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Livingstone seemed to make plays here and there. Definitely need to push hard for D-line help on NSD this year, as PeT said above.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

4 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Love showed flashes,

Love seemed to make at least one splash play a game .... Hopefully he fully peaks his senior year.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

Just plug running lanes better, tackle better. And  get some more QB pressure and it will help a lot. Not much to ask.

PREACH IT!

YACS were ridiculous this year. Actually, I'm surprised we didn't lose anybody to torn bicep or pec muscle.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

30 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I'd hate to see this, at least the Jancek side of it.  

Safeties have been sketchy at best in coverage. Bad angles, bad positioning.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Tom Allen in year one of a brand new defense with mostly the same players had this defense in the Top 30 or so with the offense running just as quickly.  The defense has perhaps marginally improved the last few games, but UCF has a pretty terrible offense and looked pretty decent against us.  I have no doubt if we had been able to keep Tom Allen we would be playing for the CC and possibly be undefeated.

Woodie needs to get far better in the offseason, and the defense needs to add an assistant that fires people up.  Zero intensity this year, as well as a lack of fundamentals.  All that goes back to the DC.  

He should be replaced, but as I have said for weeks it is unlikely because Woodie is one of CWT's boys.  Unless Woodie fails at least two years in a row, no change will be made and our defense will continue to underperform and cost us conference championships.  

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Gismo said:

Just plug running lanes better, tackle better. And  get some more QB pressure and it will help a lot. Not much to ask.

Right On!!!

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Tom Allen in year one of a brand new defense with mostly the same players had this defense in the Top 30 or so with the offense running just as quickly.  The defense has perhaps marginally improved the last few games, but UCF has a pretty terrible offense and looked pretty decent against us.  I have no doubt if we had been able to keep Tom Allen we would be playing for the CC and possibly be undefeated.

Woodie needs to get far better in the offseason, and the defense needs to add an assistant that fires people up.  Zero intensity this year, as well as a lack of fundamentals.  All that goes back to the DC.  

He should be replaced, but as I have said for weeks it is unlikely because Woodie is one of CWT's boys.  Unless Woodie fails at least two years in a row, no change will be made and our defense will continue to underperform and cost us conference championships.  

Just for comparison:

Indiana before Allen was #121 in yards and #117 in scoring defense in 2015.

Indiana with Allen finished the year #40 in yards and #58 in scoring defense for 2016. 

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Woodie isn't the main problem. The talent level just isn't there to match our offense. CJL was just too good developing diamonds in the rough ala Selvie, Jenkins, Allen etc into NFL caliber players and we got spoiled. Hopefully recruiting on Defense picks up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Am I seeing things or are Brown and Black stepping up at Defensive End in the last couple of weeks? Seems like we are getting a little bit more pressure on the Quarterback. If so then Woodie will magically become a better DC..