• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of a DC change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The few times Woodie got aggressive in his play calling the defense was pretty good.  I would probably expect to see a change in scheme before we see a change in the DC.  I don't think either will happen.

The passive things we do on defense were constantly be pointed out on the TV broadcasts the last 2 weekends.  I think the analyst on tv was a DB in the NFL.  He kept pointing out that it didn't  make sense that we were playing 8 and 10 yards off the receiver when they only needed 3 or 4 yards.  There were a few other things.  

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I honestly wouldn't mind switching to a 3-4.  Two extra LBs could allow us to disguise blitzes vs. pass coverages a lot better than we do now.  Of course, that would mean that we'd actually have to blitz.  Don't feel we did that enough but you really can't do that if you only have two LBs and your DBs are playing so far off the ball.  

IMO, it all starts with pressure on the QB.  If you get none, and our DBs are playing zone all game, we'll continue to get picked apart like we have been most of the year.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We are stuck with the Woodie, deal with it. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

4 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Amazing how many defensive experts are here on TBS...wonder why none are currently DCs at NCAA schools.

TBS?  WTF is that, Leroy?  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

Biggest issue I have with Woodie being DC is that he is a great recruiter. If he's terrible as DC next year, he's gone and we lose his recruiting. I wonder if he was pushing for a higher coaching position and Willie did not want to lose him like Larry Scott.

I still wish we got Randy Shannon. I think he would have been a very good DC

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

14 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Amazing how many defensive experts are here on TBS...wonder why none are currently DCs at NCAA schools.

I can't sing in key for the most part but I can sure tell when others have pitch problems.

I don't work at CUTR but I can tell you that Fletcher is a broken road with no room to widen it east of BBD to 75. As are many other local roads.

I'm pretty **** ugly and I'll never be a model but I know what looks good and what doesn't.

I don't write screenplays or novels but can see plot holes sometimes.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, MMW said:

2 hours ago, TallyBull said:

Maybe we can bring in a defensive consultant, kind of like Joe Kinnan was for CWT.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I really think this is the only answer that might get us back on the right track. TA's defense played motivated & aggressive. It just seems hit/miss with CRW's D...but it's clearly possible, as evidenced by the Navy game. I know every game is different, but it just feels like there's a recipe there we can't seem to repeat right now. [edit]...and we need help.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I am not all in on getting rid of Woodie, still think it's partially a function of the offense and directive from CWT. The scheme isn't horrible for our team and what we do. We need some playmakers on the DL though, a true pass rusher would make this defense night and day different. We may not have to dial up a blitz to get pressure, so, DBs could take more risks because they'd have an extra man back there.

Clean up the tackling and find some DEs that can create. That is Woodie's job for the off-season in my opinion.

• Upvote 1