• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of a DC change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

I honestly wouldn't mind switching to a 3-4.  Two extra LBs could allow us to disguise blitzes vs. pass coverages a lot better than we do now.  Of course, that would mean that we'd actually have to blitz.  Don't feel we did that enough but you really can't do that if you only have two LBs and your DBs are playing so far off the ball.  

IMO, it all starts with pressure on the QB.  If you get none, and our DBs are playing zone all game, we'll continue to get picked apart like we have been most of the year.  

Seemed to me one of the biggest differences between last year's defense and this year's defense was attacking and blitzing from the striker position.  Last year Byrd was a menace to opposing QBs.  This year we seemed to only attack from that position a handful of times.  

Overall we played a lot of read and react rather than using our defense to dictate the game.  

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

our defense was awful against UCF (and everyone else)

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Woodie will be the DC next year. They'll quietly transition back to a 4-3. Jancek and Hampton may be in trouble as defensive backfield coaching though.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, SANJAY said:

Woodie will be the DC next year. They'll quietly transition back to a 4-3. Jancek and Hampton may be in trouble as defensive backfield coaching though.

I'd hate to see this, at least the Jancek side of it.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

I'd hate to see this, at least the Jancek side of it.  

I dunno our safeties have been out of position all season.  Our safeties looked pretty good last season and like they we're primed to be one of the better units on the team.  I haven't heard anything about him being a great recruiter so honestly I wouldn't fret about that loss.  

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

5 hours ago, JTrue said:

So aside from the games our defense got completely annihilated and those in which our offense won a shootout, Woodie did a great job. 

LOL. I'll be interested to see who we play in the bowl game.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

I dunno our safeties have been out of position all season.  Our safeties looked pretty good last season and like they we're primed to be one of the better units on the team.  I haven't heard anything about him being a great recruiter so honestly I wouldn't fret about that loss.  

I thought he was a pretty good X's and O's guy though based on his experience.  Not sure exactly what his responsibilities entailed but I can't imagine as a first year coach he would have been given much input into scheme, positioning, etc.  

In CWT we trust ... 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

If we win the bowl, with no key losses to the NFL, for the sake of the board, hope there's no DC change .... CRW hatin' will have to, alone, sustain those who need something football to vent about.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I'm torn on the whole CRW thing.  They lack of aggressiveness was very disappointing to see, but I also think there is a lack of talent on that side right now.  There's not one single stand out on defense. No Selvie, no JPP, no Barrington, no Kayvon Webster, no Angry Bird.   Auggie made a lot of tackles, but he's what I like to call a "down-hill" tackler (99% of his tackles seem to be after someone has gained 5+ yards and he tackles them with the runner moving downhill and gaining an extra yard or two). I mean I watched every game this year, and I'm not sure if I can name the starting DL with how infrequently their names were called in each game.  Someone on that defense needs to elevate their game.  Someone on that DL needs to become a force, a game disrupter.  I'm not sure who on the roster thats going to be, but prefer not to have to stress through 52-45 games next year because our defense can't stop anyone. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If we win the bowl, with no key losses to the NFL, for the sake of the board, hope there's no DC change .... CRW hatin' will have to, alone, sustain those who need something football to vent about.

it's coming...

Image result for rocket oh yeah gif