• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of a DC change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think a better DC would help, but, with the offense we run and how much the defense is on the field, it's nearly impossible to evaluate the defense. We are number 116 in the nation in time of possession. I would like to see better tackling, tighter coverage on the receivers, etc., but, with a high powered offense, there is a different mindset on what the goal is. Keeping everything in front is the most important thing and a bend but dont break defense makes sense. It's hard to watch, but, if we can get the tackling cleaned up, it's not a terrible defensive strategy.

In the 2 games we lost this year, our TOP was right around 20 minutes in the whole game (season average around 26). I don't remember the Temple game issues as well, but, I remember in the FSU game, it seemed like CWT wasn't using Flowers' legs very much until late in the game when it was already over. QF is such a huge part of our run game and keeping drives alive that I thought that really killed any opportunity we had in that game. Tackling was also abysmal in those 2 games, contributing to the TOP issues.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Maybe we can bring in a defensive consultant, kind of like Joe Kinnan was for CWT. Not sure what Joe told CWT, but things on offense changed drastically for the better after he got involved. I'd be fine keeping Woodie if he had similar help.

If we can field an average defense next year we could go undefeated. Crazy but true IMHO.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,643
  • Days Won:  29

We have 3 weeks of practice for the Bowl Game ... need to show a strong improvement on D.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

2 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Maybe we can bring in a defensive consultant, kind of like Joe Kinnan was for CWT. Not sure what Joe told CWT, but things on offense changed drastically for the better after he got involved. I'd be fine keeping Woodie if he had similar help.

If we can field an average defense next year we could go undefeated. Crazy but true IMHO.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,493
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, LrdNorman said:

Or at least man up on the receivers at the scrimmage line.  Playing way too far off the receiver and not hitting him off the snap...

I was wondering why we didn't jump one of those Milton sideline passes.  It seemed like it took forever to get to the receiver, yet the defender continued to play 10 yards off, just enough to let the guy catch the ball.  I assume they are being told to keep everything in front of them at all costs. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

20 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

IIRC the offense wasn't the issue in the FSU game.  Cook's 267 yards rushing was a big part of the loss.  BTW, Cook's next two highest rushing games this season were Syracuse (225) and Clemson (169).  The same Syracuse team that gave up 393 rushing yards against Pitt.

Bottom line, the defense is bad.

After the 2 TDs to start the game, we went...3 and out (1:39), 3 and out (1:35), 3 and out (1:15), 3 and out (1:50), Int (1st play) (0:06), 3 and out (1:44), 7 plays to end the half... 38-14 was the score

In the second half, we went...Int (1 play) (0:08), 3 and out (1:10), then scored 3 TDs on our last 3 drives

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

13 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

After the 2 TDs to start the game, we went...3 and out (1:39), 3 and out (1:35), 3 and out (1:15), 3 and out (1:50), Int (1st play) (0:06), 3 and out (1:44), 7 plays to end the half... 38-14 was the score

In the second half, we went...Int (1 play) (0:08), 3 and out (1:10), then scored 3 TDs on our last 3 drives

I recall we had 5 straight 3 and outs. That is really bad. And also FSU scoring 4 TDs in their 1st 4 possessions to go up 28-14 in the first quarter, is really bad. Better defense would have kept this game closer even with the sputtering offense. I didn't think we improved much on defense all season. Temple's style of play will be our Achilles heel because we couldn't stop them getting a first down. Temples first drive was like 7-8 minutes.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

IMHO  The fans around me seem to be complaining as well as I was regarding the defenders giving the receivers too much room. When  the receiver caught the balll they got more yards by the time our defender got to them and tackled them.    Also the short sideline passes with a good quarterback seemed to be a problem on our defense as well. I understand with a fast scoring offense that it can be very taxing on the defense with little to no time to rest.   There needs to be better management for the offense regarding clock management. They need to improve their TOP. This would give our defense more time to rest.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

12 minutes ago, nobullaboutit said:

There needs to be better management for the offense regarding clock management. They need to improve their TOP. This would give our defense more time to rest.

We're an offense that uses tempo and tendencies to get big plays.  I wouldn't sacrifice any of that to get the defense some extra rest.  There are plenty of times where the defense has a chance to get off the field but they fail to get stops in advantageous 3rd down situations.  The defense needs to get stops when they're and a good situation and we need to get more of a pass rush.  If this defense is just average we can play with just about anyone in the country IMO.  If we can improve in those two areas we could be a very special team.....

• Upvote 2