• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rick and Tom Cancelled

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, Boomer said:

So what does that say about Tampa Bay's media market when we have three professional teams and can't even support one local morning drive sports talk station?

May be just me but I think talk radio of any kind is an intellectual wasteland .... There have been exceptions, the aforementioned Lassiter, Phil Hendrie and Chris Thomas come to mind.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Phil Hendrie... man I wish 970 still had him at night, best show ever. 

Chris Thomas was also pretty awesome also, best personality 620 has had by far.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Personally, I get all the opinions and BULLS news I need right here on the Pen.

And then some!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

5 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I agree as much as Tom could be annoying at times those two did talk USF football and have CWT on from time to time. Atleast it was local sports in morning.  Mike and Mike is terrible. 

True. Though usually when USF came up, it seemed forced and superficial, invariably something like this: 

"Big game this week between USF and ____. We're giving away free tickets! Coach Willie Taggart will be on with us at 10 past the hour. USF is doing pretty good this year, but will always play fourth fiddle to the big boys UF, FSU, and UM. Oh, and attendance is pathetic."

I'll miss Stroud's thoughts on the Bucs. I won't miss Jones, though - good riddance.

Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,752
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I do. The people in charge of all those media outlets graduated from schools that are not USF. You compound the fact that they have no connection with the local university with a generally apathetic fan base of said local university, and these are the results. 

So, which of those two carries more weight:

a) non-alumni running the local air waves,

b) apathetic fan base of the local u?

I fear it has more to do with the latter. Either you get the numbers or you don't...and if you don't "well, we've given this some consideration and we're going in a new direction, however, we do have plenty of cardboard boxes for your personal effects." I would imagine that it must be - perhaps not so much now - but during the "Four Year Pestilence" , exceptionally difficult to talk UP the local U. Whether we like it or not, as long as we share geography with UM / FSU / UF...that's where the talk is gonna be. I miss 98.7. I liked it, thought it was great but, in the end, I reckon the spreadsheet told a different story ... 

Sincerely,

Art Bell

Edited by WoolyBully

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  0

Listening to Pat and Aaron filling in for Duemig right now...they're pretty good. They're young dudes and have a good energy, and talk about the Bulls quite a bit when I've heard them on Sunday mornings. Maybe WDAE is grooming them to take over in the AM?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

52 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

So, which of those two carries more weight:

a) non-alumni running the local air waves,

b) apathetic fan base of the local u?

I fear it has more to do with the latter. Either you get the numbers or you don't...and if you don't "well, we've given this some consideration and we're going in a new direction, however, we do have plenty of cardboard boxes for your personal effects." I would imagine that it must be - perhaps not so much now - but during the "Four Year Pestilence" , exceptionally difficult to talk UP the local U. Whether we like it or not, as long as we share geography with UM / FSU / UF...that's where the talk is gonna be. I miss 98.7. I liked it, thought it was great but, in the end, I reckon the spreadsheet told a different story ... 

Sincerely,

Art Bell

Are insinuating Art Bell's gone because of money? He and his family feared for their lives....!!  :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,077

2 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Phil Hendrie... man I wish 970 still had him at night, best show ever. 

Chris Thomas was also pretty awesome also, best personality 620 has had by far.

Chris Thomas was not a homer by any means but he remains pretty much the only personality who consistently made time to talk about USF football.  Yes, even in the IAA days. 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,077

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

May be just me but I think talk radio of any kind is an intellectual wasteland .... There have been exceptions, the aforementioned Lassiter, Phil Hendrie and Chris Thomas come to mind.

I listened to those guys as much as I could.  I actually preferred Bob's show on 620.  Even listened to the tapes they all used to complain about if I had missed a show during the week . What about Uncle Neil Rogers? Uncle **** Norman (970 AM)? I even listened to Rick and Suds sometimes.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Ionbull said:

Someone should've punched them right in the face. The station is a GATOR station anyway, it's unbelievable. I remember when CWT did his ESPN interview he said the same thing and the ESPN host even put up the horns . 

I really miss 98.7 The Fan, they had freatcprogramming from top to bottom. From Booger and Rich to the Commish. They even talked up USF and that's when they were bad. Really need a good local radio program, it's insane that they can't hold any ratings.

The Commish still has a podcast but its all about the Bucs. Im hoping to get him to talk USF every once in awhile

• Upvote 1