• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sources: NCAA investigating USF for academic fraud

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I truly hope that the players that left are the ones implicated in this scandal. I'm waiting to see what other facts roll out of this. Interesting that Coach Oliver was precluded from recruiting for the past month, and news of this is just hitting today. This bodes well for the USF-self reported theory. 

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, brybull1970 said:

16-48 and running off the majority of our best players is enough fact for me. If anything comes of the academic fraud investigation then I'll just say I won't be shocked. 

I'm just gonna stop here since we clearly disagree and this thread isn't about whether he should be fired or not but instead about the investigation of fraud, which I hope people decide to talk about.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

The shoe has finally dropped, Antigua should resign and if he won't  the correct decision is to fire him. 

Look, I did believe he should get 3 years, and with respect to on court performance I still believe that, but in light of his assistant coach resigning amid this investigation he should be fired. The reason he should be fired is simple.

Entering his third season there is not one metric of importance that has improved under his leadership. Not one thing to look at that gives any confidence that he can be effective as a head coach. His saving graces at the time of his hire were his demeanor, attitude, potential and association with top program and players. Well, we have seen none of those bear any positive results so far. Despite that I would still give him a third year to have a more complete player development cycle. But this investigation indicates the one area we thought maybe he was effective, in recruiting, in relationships, in being a role model, his reports violated that culture. 

He is the leader, he sets the tone and the culture, and in every area, on and off the court, the results have been negative. VERY negative. An outstanding off the court culture would merit him 3 full seasons in my book, on court performance would determine if he gets more. Well he failed in every aspect and the only reason to keep him longer has been erased.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Obviously. Or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

True...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

27 minutes ago, Gismo said:

The shoe has finally dropped, Antigua should resign and if he won't  the correct decision is to fire him. 

Look, I did believe he should get 3 years, and with respect to on court performance I still believe that, but in light of his assistant coach resigning amid this investigation he should be fired. The reason he should be fired is simple.

Entering his third season there is not one metric of importance that has improved under his leadership. Not one thing to look at that gives any confidence that he can be effective as a head coach. His saving graces at the time of his hire were his demeanor, attitude, potential and association with top program and players. Well, we have seen none of those bear any positive results so far. Despite that I would still give him a third year to have a more complete player development cycle. But this investigation indicates the one area we thought maybe he was effective, in recruiting, in relationships, in being a role model, his reports violated that culture. 

He is the leader, he sets the tone and the culture, and in every area, on and off the court, the results have been negative. VERY negative. An outstanding off the court culture would merit him 3 full seasons in my book, on court performance would determine if he gets more. Well he failed in every aspect and the only reason to keep him longer has been erased.

I've defended him in the past but I agree totally.  I'd say that for continuity and his contract, he may actually get 1 more season.  But if they fired him now, I would understand.  But I think after this season he should be gone.  Unless something crazy like a NCAA birth happens... but I think I have a better shot at powerball. 

But I will add that the process should play out and nothing knee jerk should be done.  It's been going on for a while... we'll likely know more soon. 

Edited by Calibull
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

5 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

He cheated got caught and resigned.  Hopefully we can weather the fallout.

The whole gang needs to go....you don't keep a head coach who has a cheating assistant.  Especially a brother who is a cheating assistant.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

Let me start by saying I have no idea what the charges are, but if it is even remotely along the lines of what you're saying, it is a VERY big deal. What that means for punishment, I can't say. But this is far from some trivial mixup. If Oliver Antigua is quitting and it has something to do with a player's transcript, you're talking about an assistant coach actively inserting himself into the academic application process and a) forging a transcript directly to fake the quality of classes, grades, etc. 2) advising a prospective student on how to forge a transcript or d) doing something else not so kosher behind the scenes in the step by step process of a student applying to enroll at USF. There is no scenario where a coach or assistant coach should have his hands on the actual academic enrollment process. It very well may not be a deal breaker and I'm aware of other schools doing worse things, but this is a **** show.

So I know everyone is up in arms right now, but how has no one else given J props for his Buzz from Home Alone A, Two, D reference?! 

Kudos to you sir!

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,354
  • Days Won:  43

The problem with USF hoops is a two year post season ban won't appease the NCAA. Heck even scholarship reductions won't matter as it seems USF men's hoops barely has healthy scholarship players anyway 

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I've certainly defended him before and will wait for the actual facts to come to light before grabbing a pitchfork...but there's no doubt that this isn't good.  If he is fired tomorrow I won't cry.  I'd still be interested in seeing next season happen if this was a rogue operation with Oliver only.  But that's only because I'm optimistic for a decent season with the incoming roundball class.  I have no goodwill left.

The other thing is that the timing of this is fishy.  Day after the B12 confirms expansion, this comes out?...not sure how serious it really is.  Could be a rival wanting to make a splash, and Oliver fell on the sword.  That's optimistic (or admittedly perhaps naive), but it could be so.

Or it could be we're totally ******, and COA and Harlan sunk our pirate ship for good.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

47 minutes ago, NCBull said:

I've certainly defended him before and will wait for the actual facts to come to light before grabbing a pitchfork...but there's no doubt that this isn't good.  If he is fired tomorrow I won't cry.  I'd still be interested in seeing next season happen if this was a rogue operation with Oliver only.  But that's only because I'm optimistic for a decent season with the incoming roundball class.  I have no goodwill left.

The other thing is that the timing of this is fishy.  Day after the B12 confirms expansion, this comes out?...not sure how serious it really is.  Could be a rival wanting to make a splash, and Oliver fell on the sword.  That's optimistic (or admittedly perhaps naive), but it could be so.

Or it could be we're totally ******, and COA and Harlan sunk our pirate ship for good.

If it's a rival, as much as it pains me to say I can't see it being C. Florida because I'm pretty sure they know we're almost likely a package deal.