• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

David Kelly to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

From our friend Mike Bianchi from the Orlando Sentinel:

What's always baffled me is that none of the players Kelly ever recruited to UCF has ever been linked to NCAA violations. I always thought Kelly's biggest misjudgment was going along with Tribble, the athletics director who invited Caldwell into the program.

And I also found it a bit strange that NCAA investigators said Kelly lied to them, but we never found out what exactly he lied about. In fact, he claims, NCAA officials have never revealed what he said to make them think he was not telling the truth. And, yes, Kelly admits he wonders about NCAA investigators who worked UCF's case — some of the same investigators who were later reprimanded for fraudulently conducting an investigation at Miami.

UCF had a postseason ban overturned and was allowed to go to the Fiesta Bowl after it won an appeal in which the NCAA admitted it had been "excessive" in its punishment of the Knights. Kelly, without the immense monetary backing of a state university, didn't have the financial wherewithal to appeal his case. So he took his one-year "show-cause" penalty, coached for a couple of years in the Canadian Football League, served as coaching intern for the Arizona Cardinals and now is searching for another college coaching job.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-david-kelly-mike-bianchi-1105-20151104-column.html

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Considering even UCFers are showing up here to tell us we made a great hire AND nothing has really been shown as to why Kelly got hit the way he did, I'm good with this hire. The only thing I've ever heard about this guy is that he can recruit his ass off. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

Coach David Kelly is as not only a quality football coach, but a great man.  Why can he recruit wherever he goes?  He is a honest man with integrity who was a sacrificial lamb at UCF (do the research).  He has worked at the highest quality colleges (academically as well as athletically - Stanford, Duke, Georgia Tech, etc.).  His work ethic and knowledge of the game will benefit everyone from Coach Taggart, Assistant Coaches and players.  This will only help USF move into the top 20!  Great hire!

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

9 hours ago, trifitman said:

Coach David Kelly is as not only a quality football coach, but a great man.  Why can he recruit wherever he goes?  He is a honest man with integrity who was a sacrificial lamb at UCF (do the research).  He has worked at the highest quality colleges (academically as well as athletically - Stanford, Duke, Georgia Tech, etc.).  His work ethic and knowledge of the game will benefit everyone from Coach Taggart, Assistant Coaches and players.  This will only help USF move into the top 20!  Great hire!

Welcome to the board sir!  We're glad to have you here. ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

Are recruiting coordinators allowed to leave the building to recruit?  Thought I had heard years ago that they could make phone calls, etc but couldn't visit???  I'm sure one of you knows.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he deserves a second chance

we are a country of forgiveness

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Are recruiting coordinators allowed to leave the building to recruit?  Thought I had heard years ago that they could make phone calls, etc but couldn't visit???  I'm sure one of you knows.

I believe they can, they just can't coach. Someone with more knowledge of the NCAA's archaic rules will likely correct me, if I'm wrong.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

22 hours ago, CPR said:

I guess the people that were saying UCF has/had a dirty program can't anymore since they'll look like hypocrites now. Great hire if he can stay out of trouble. Recruiting has always been a dirty game, so I never really liked casting stones there.

Why do you hate USF?  

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

13 hours ago, trifitman said:

Very well said. Glad he has caught on with a D1 Program. With continued USF success, his career will take off again.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

On 2/25/2016 at 1:07 PM, CPR said:

I guess the people that were saying UCF has/had a dirty program can't anymore since they'll look like hypocrites now.

UCF had a dirty program ... the NCAA verified it. Not sure where hypocrisy would fit into this.