• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

David Kelly to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Congrats!  Good coach/Great recruiter IMO

Edited by footnfan1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

I'm not one to usually ask for links but after searching the interwebs I'm not seeing anything.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

1. @joshnewberg247 This is a potential game changer in recruiting. Kelly is well liked & respected in Fla. USF could make some waves in 2017.

View conversation
    3 retweets5 likes

Retweet

More
  2.  Bulls247 Retweeted

Changes to USF’s recruiting staff. I’m told Jon Haskins is going to Cal & USF has hired former UCF asst David Kelly

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,707
  • Days Won:  424

Am I misremembering that there were problems associated with him?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778

Hell be off field as our recruiting coordinator. And Trip I thought the same thing tied to their recruiting scandal maybe? But I think he could have been a sacrificial lamb.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

back in 2011:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7212871/ucf-knights-accused-recruiting-violations-ad-resigns-men-basketball-coach-suspended

Don't know if an appeal cleared him, but the meat of it for DK is:

Assistant football coach David Kelly also resigned and men's basketball coach Donnie Jones was suspended for three conference games without pay and issued an official letter of reprimand, the school said in a prepared statement.

Tribble and Kelly were cited by the NCAA for unethical conduct when meeting with NCAA investigators. They will have the opportunity to challenge those allegations with the NCAA, the school said.

Caldwell and Bender had contact with recruits and Tribble, Kelly and Jones were aware of that contact, according to the NCAA notice of allegations.

FWIW, I read other accounts that UCF appealed and won their case, but Kelly said he didn't have the money to appeal and chose to remain silent. Several places lauded him as a top recruiter at one time, so I'm sure he'll only help there. Hope he has a little chip on his shoulder for how UCF handled it. Hard to say for sure, but on the surface he looks to have been the scapegoat.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048

Huge hire. He was responsible for much of UCF's recent success before he was forced out. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  12

Sounds good to me 

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

Take a look at 2010 and 2011 to see all of the recruits that he was the lead recruiter for at UCF:

https://ucf.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=239&Team=113&Sport=1&Year=2011

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Wasn't he an assistant coach at UCF? I'm wondering how much of an impact he can be expected to make in a lesser role.