• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

David Kelly to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Seems like Taggart still rightfully focusing on recruiting I just hope this move doesn't draw undo attention from NCAA compliance office.  Great hire otherwise, hope the coaching staff is starting to gel with so many new faces.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,472
  • Days Won:  25

54 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

Seems like Taggart still rightfully focusing on recruiting I just hope this move doesn't draw undo attention from NCAA compliance office.  Great hire otherwise, hope the coaching staff is starting to gel with so many new faces.

I would hope that USF won't give the NCAA any reason to look at USF with anything other than admiration.

I would also like to go undefeated in 2016.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, usfbullrider said:

From everything I read, Kelly was basically treated as a scapegoat for UCF

When UCF successfully appealed the sanctions, Kelly was left out to dry.  Without university backing, he didn't have funds to launch his own appeal.  Hes had also asked the NCAA to provide him documentation with what they found he lied about, which they never provided. 

Also, most (or all?) of the investigators were the same that were later terminated for inappropriate actions in the investigation of U-Miami. 

So given UCF's successful appeal, and the Miami mess, I think the NCAA would probably want to leave this embarrassing segment of history behind.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

From my recall, the NCAA interviewed everyone. They then checked everyone stories, and those they thought had been deceptive, were terminated ( Kelly and Tribble). Kelly has always claimed that he  told the truth. He was given a one year show clause penalty.

It is  a solid hire. He recruited some soon to be great players, but was not coaching them when they excelled. Sean Beckton is credited with Coaching up the recent crop of UCF to the NFL  players IMO.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-31/sports/os-ucf-david-kelly-ncaa-reaction-0801_1_ken-caldwell-donnie-jones-keith-tribble

IIRC, UCF won the appeal because the violations that occurred were primarily focused on Mens B ball, but were spread to B ball and Football in penalties. The Football issue was from the NCAA's  point of view, the fact that Kelly lied, so the  Football penalty was in hinds sight, way over reaching. But, that is from memory, and could be inaccurate, but I think it is close.

Edited by footnfan1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I guess the people that were saying UCF has/had a dirty program can't anymore since they'll look like hypocrites now. Great hire if he can stay out of trouble. Recruiting has always been a dirty game, so I never really liked casting stones there.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

3 minutes ago, CPR said:

I guess the people that were saying UCF has/had a dirty program can't anymore since they'll look like hypocrites now. Great hire if he can stay out of trouble. Recruiting has always been a dirty game, so I never really liked casting stones there.

False

USF would be a hypocrite if they went along and cheated with him.  USF has not cheated

Edited by Dogma
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

UCF won the appeal mainly because the Miami mess gave them the opening.  I think it was the same investigator, so UCF just pointed to Miami.  UCF got caught red handed and the AD was involved.  In fact, I think the AD is the one that set everything up.  David Kelly always claimed to be innocent, but UCF had to get rid of someone in order to win the appeal.  So no one really knows.

On the other hand, David Kelly's recruiting is the single biggest reason that UCF vaulted into national prominence.  He was singlehandedly responsible for recruiting the great four WRs that Blake Bortles rode to the Fiesta Bowl.  Having him involved in the program can only be a good thing, if he keeps his nose clean.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  0

Kelly was an amazing recruiter of South Florida for UCF.  He was one of these guys that the Miami players saw as a father figure.  He was there under Tribble as AD.  Tribble was a complete douchebag.  He was hired for his connections with the Orange Bowl and Big East.  While Kelly may or may not have been completely truthful with the NCAA, I think he was probably lead astray by Tribble.  UCF had been on probation for self reported texting of recruits by coaches that had left before I think Kelly was hired.  Most of the NCAA violations were related to men's basketball and were direct violations by Tribble himself. My guess is that Kelly followed Tribble down the wrong path and was swept up with the whirlwind. 

I do know that UCF fans were very upset to see him go and he is still seen as a good guy by many. I would love to have seen him back at UCF

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,706
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Knightfan41 said:

Kelly was an amazing recruiter of South Florida for UCF.  He was one of these guys that the Miami players saw as a father figure.  He was there under Tribble as AD.  Tribble was a complete douchebag.  He was hired for his connections with the Orange Bowl and Big East.  While Kelly may or may not have been completely truthful with the NCAA, I think he was probably lead astray by Tribble.  UCF had been on probation for self reported texting of recruits by coaches that had left before I think Kelly was hired.  Most of the NCAA violations were related to men's basketball and were direct violations by Tribble himself. My guess is that Kelly followed Tribble down the wrong path and was swept up with the whirlwind. 

I do know that UCF fans were very upset to see him go and he is still seen as a good guy by many. I would love to have seen him back at UCF

Sure looked like football took a lot better advantage of their violations than basketball did ...

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Josh Newberg has said on more than one occasion that Kelly was essentially the fall guy when UCF was investigated/penalized.

I think it's a home run hire provided he doesn't "become the fall guy" again, which I don't think will be the case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1