• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

will cwt leave usf for a better job ?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

Yes.

Eventually.

Not anytime soon. Let's not confuse a six-win (which is exactly where we are now) season makes him some sort of stellar hot-commodity coach (54% winning ratio thus far), given that we do live in the AAC and not the P5.  While we - on the board - may breathe this in and are leaning towards coronation, the story thus far, outside RayJ,  is "how nice, they're not losing". I don't think he's being fired, and I don't think any school of substance is really going to lure him elsewhere. Down the road, maybe after some substantive showings by USF and the AAC, he can step up a rung on the ladder...as all coaches aspire to do. 

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

I skipped a few pages here, so it has probably been said, but...

He absolutely would leave if he got a big offer that ups his pay substantially. That won't happen this year though. We are having a good year, will most likely finish with at least 7 wins, but schools will want to see more sustained success. Even if we manage to get into the conference championship.

If we have a similar (or better) year next year, he will be on some radars, for sure.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

Listening to him on 620 this morning, it appears that Willie is just thankful to be off the hot seat..  I don't think he's looking to jump ship anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Who knows what he'll do, if given the opportunity to make more money elsewhere.  It all depends on criteria that we may or may not be privy to.  

However, if this team establishes itself as a powerhouse, I could see CWT staying to become a "dean" of USF athletics, in the same way Leavitt did and later turned down Alabama.  Not saying that's what he'll do, just saying I could see it happening.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Maybe you didn't read that I said in my opinion I don't see a P5 school ponying up and begging for his services. Didn't say his buy out is too much for a P5 school to come calling. If you disagree that's wonderful.

I have never once said on this board that I want Bench to be our starting QB or that I think he is better than Flowers. You probably had trouble with my post after the Memphis loss as well when I made a post and mentioned Bench. I'll try to remind you of what I said, but I can't help you understand.

After the Memphis loss I said we have to throw the football downfield. We have to keep the defense somewhat guessing. That you can't just throw the ball on 3rd and long and have success. That our approach on offense played right into what the defense wanted. I said the playbook has to be opened up for our team to win football games. I then said, If Taggart didn't trust or would not allow Flowers to throw the ball downfield and open the playbook and he would have more trust and allow Bench to throw the football downfield then Bench needed to play to give our team a chance. That is in no way advocating for Bench to play or saying Bench is the better player. That is calling it like it is. It means I was pleading with Taggart to do whatever he had to do in order to throw the football more often and open up the playbook no matter who was the QB. This team would still be struggling no matter who was behind center if Taggart continued the same conservative approach we saw in the first 4 games of the season. At that point we had not thrown the ball enough and it seemed like he wouldn't let Flowers for whatever reasons he had? What have we done since the Memphis game?

Thrown the ball downfield and look at the results. 

Way to bring up a completely irrelevant topic though in regards to the conversation of will a P5 program come calling for Willie. :applause:

sounds like you might be misremembering or perhaps I don't recognize your screen name. didn't you do some breakdown of QBR with both QBs arguing that Bench was the better option? Didn't you criticize Flowers every chance you got for how he throws the ball? again maybe it was someone with a similar screen name . I could understand where someone as wrong as that poster might actually want to forget how foolish they now look and might even want to spin it in their own minds to make it sound less foolish. If it wasn't you then I apologize. If it was then it speaks to your judgement and why people should discount anything you say.

P5 schools hire on potential all the time. Hell a lot of them hire coordinators with no head coaching experience. I'm not saying Alabama will come calling but he was rumored for some P5 jobs before he took ours. No reason Kansas, Kansas state, Iowa State, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Colorado or some others might not be interested. He is a hell of a recruiter in the top state for high school talent and he has shown that he is growing as a game day coach. Young and cheap too. Show me a 39 year old with 6 years of head coaching experience, 3 top recruiting classes in what is arguably the 6th best conference and I'm willing to bet there are schools willing to take a chance on him.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

If Taggart gets us considered fo a conference title -  I see him getting large raise by the AD

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

sounds like you might be misremembering or perhaps I don't recognize your screen name. didn't you do some breakdown of QBR with both QBs arguing that Bench was the better option? Didn't you criticize Flowers every chance you got for how he throws the ball? again maybe it was someone with a similar screen name . I could understand where someone as wrong as that poster might actually want to forget how foolish they now look and might even want to spin it in their own minds to make it sound less foolish. If it wasn't you then I apologize. If it was then it speaks to your judgement and why people should discount anything you say.

P5 schools hire on potential all the time. Hell a lot of them hire coordinators with no head coaching experience. I'm not saying Alabama will come calling but he was rumored for some P5 jobs before he took ours. No reason Kansas, Kansas state, Iowa State, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Colorado or some others might not be interested. He is a hell of a recruiter in the top state for high school talent and he has shown that he is growing as a game day coach. Young and cheap too. Show me a 39 year old with 6 years of head coaching experience, 3 top recruiting classes in what is arguably the 6th best conference and I'm willing to bet there are schools willing to take a chance on him.

Most definitely wasn't me breaking down QBR saying Bench was better. I have mentioned QBR before, but only regarding the fact that other schools had QBs with worse QBR ratings than Mike White and still found a way to win more games than we did. Which to me was a reflection on the coaching staff and that was this past off-season. 

I have not criticized Flowers every chance for how he throws the ball. Double check this stuff before you just start firing away. 

ONCE AGAIN, In my opinion - (This means that it is my view or judgement not necessarily based on fact) I don't see a P5 school coming and getting him after this season. You disagree, cool. That's awesome, no reason to continue with this nonsense. I didn't say a lot of them don't hire coordinators with no head coaching experience. He is a heck of a recruiter I agree. I didn't say that P5 schools don't hire on potential all the time. I also said if we finish strong this year and have another really strong year next year such as a 9 win season then I think a P5 program will be coming for him. 

I did say Miami would not be able to sell to their fan base another Al Golden type hire with Taggart. A guy who turned a G5 program around to an 8 win season at Temple and then fell flat on his face. They'll get someone who has a double digit win season at whatever level they grab them from, success at a P5, a massively successful P5 coordinator or something along those lines. I also said I guess anything can happen and we will see.

Sorry to get you fired up with my opinion that I don't think P5 programs come calling for Taggart after this one season.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Do you believe this is actually possible or are you just stirring the pot? Either way I think we all need to take a deep breath here... Relax...

not just stiring the pot

there are a ton of jobs out there and many ad's are looking for the next hot thing

if usf runs the table cwt will look very attractive

if some one doubles in contract he will leave so fast our collective heads will spin

YOU DONT THINK HE WOULD LEAVE FOR A P5 JOB?   in a new york minute

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Who knows what he'll do, if given the opportunity to make more money elsewhere.  It all depends on criteria that we may or may not be privy to.  

However, if this team establishes itself as a powerhouse, I could see CWT staying to become a "dean" of USF athletics, in the same way Leavitt did and later turned down Alabama.  Not saying that's what he'll do, just saying I could see it happening.

when did leavitt turn down alabama?

he had a job offer?