• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

will cwt leave usf for a better job ?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Not to mention, Skip got an extension after year TWO, not year 3, and USF had seriously regressed by the end of year 2 of the Skip regime.  We were playing really bad down the stretch.

Some of you guys don't understand how coaching contracts work at all.  You never let a coach play our his contract.  It simply isn't done.  EVER.  You either release him (fire him), or extend him prior to end of contract due to recruiting and other reasons.

I'm not saying CWT deserves an extension.  No one is.  But you ALWAYS  extend a coach on the upswing, every single time, 100 times out of 100 well before his contract ends.  That's how it's done in the coaching business now.  100 times out of 100 at all 128 FBS schools.

PREACH!!!  :iconic_u_black:  that skip extension still sickens me.  I knew the third quarter of the Pitt game he needed to be gone.  But in all fairness I never liked that guy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

at the end of the season

Yes ..... for UCF.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Not to mention, Skip got an extension after year TWO, not year 3, and USF had seriously regressed by the end of year 2 of the Skip regime.  We were playing really bad down the stretch.

Come on, we had not seriously regressed. We went from 7-5 to 5-7 ... last half of the season we were 1-5, but those 5 losses (WVU, UL, Miami, Rutgers, Cincy) were by a total of 22 points. Not what I would call "really bad". I'm not saying he should have gotten an extension but it's not like he got one after his 3-9 season.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

If we have to worry about any coach leaving after this year it would be Allen. Taggart won't go anywhere this year but if he repeats this success next season he might leave if a top program comes calling

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Even though Miami is a private school, they don't use their money to pay big time salary to head coaches.  If they decide to that this year it's one thing, but what they usually pay can afford a G5 coach, a big time coordinator, or somebody out of a job.

I don't disagree at all that they can afford whoever they decide they can afford. There's no question they'll be offering a higher salary to whoever their next coach is compared to anyone in the G5 ranks. I just really don't see a P5 school coming in and begging for his services.

You said, "No one is taking him away from us after this year even if we finish 8-4.  What P5 program is going to be able to sell their fans on Taggart"

My point was that P5 programs do in fact pluck mediocre coaches from crappy G5 schools with 8 win seasons. 

Fair. Although, you probably can't name more than 1 or 2 other coaches past Al Golden who were given a massive promotion like he was when he had a career losing record in the G5 and it's highly doubtful Miami makes that same mistake again. Their fan base would absolutely melt down. 

Right now, I just don't see any reason for anyone to worry about Taggart leaving after this year. If we finish 8-4 and win a bowl game, and next year finish 9-3 and win the conference then yes we probably should worry about it. In my opinion, as of now his resume is not impressive enough for a P5 team to pay whatever buy-out he would owe to USF, then pay him $2+ million a season over 5 years to take him away from us. I guess anything can happen though. We will see.  

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Any coach, whether at home or not, is going to tire of the community/students not coming out to support.

If offered a couple mill more plus 60k stadiums full of fans with a chance to win a BCS title he will jump, home or not.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Fair. Although, you probably can't name more than 1 or 2 other coaches past Al Golden who were given a massive promotion like he was when he had a career losing record in the G5 and it's highly doubtful Miami makes that same mistake again. Their fan base would absolutely melt down. 

Right now, I just don't see any reason for anyone to worry about Taggart leaving after this year. If we finish 8-4 and win a bowl game, and next year finish 9-3 and win the conference then yes we probably should worry about it. In my opinion, as of now his resume is not impressive enough for a P5 team to pay whatever buy-out he would owe to USF, then pay him $2+ million a season over 5 years to take him away from us. I guess anything can happen though. We will see.  

his buyout is next to nothing. aren't you the guy that argued Steven bench should be our starter?

his buyout is next to nothing. aren't you the guy that argued Steven bench should be our starter?

Maybe you didn't read that I said in my opinion I don't see a P5 school ponying up and begging for his services. Didn't say his buy out is too much for a P5 school to come calling. If you disagree that's wonderful.

I have never once said on this board that I want Bench to be our starting QB or that I think he is better than Flowers. You probably had trouble with my post after the Memphis loss as well when I made a post and mentioned Bench. I'll try to remind you of what I said, but I can't help you understand.

After the Memphis loss I said we have to throw the football downfield. We have to keep the defense somewhat guessing. That you can't just throw the ball on 3rd and long and have success. That our approach on offense played right into what the defense wanted. I said the playbook has to be opened up for our team to win football games. I then said, If Taggart didn't trust or would not allow Flowers to throw the ball downfield and open the playbook and he would have more trust and allow Bench to throw the football downfield then Bench needed to play to give our team a chance. That is in no way advocating for Bench to play or saying Bench is the better player. That is calling it like it is. It means I was pleading with Taggart to do whatever he had to do in order to throw the football more often and open up the playbook no matter who was the QB. This team would still be struggling no matter who was behind center if Taggart continued the same conservative approach we saw in the first 4 games of the season. At that point we had not thrown the ball enough and it seemed like he wouldn't let Flowers for whatever reasons he had? What have we done since the Memphis game?

Thrown the ball downfield and look at the results. 

Way to bring up a completely irrelevant topic though in regards to the conversation of will a P5 program come calling for Willie. :applause:

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

You guys are missing the most important indicators of whether he will move or not. Where's his wife from? Is she happy? And has his mom moved? happy wife, happy life. Simple. If they get tired of being home around family they may move, but I think he has to be pretty happy with his set up right now. 

• Upvote 2